The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 7, 2005, 07:42 PM   #1
Bullrock

Quick Help

I picked up my first shotgun today. Winchester 1300, 12 gauge. I want to use it for trap Sunday the 9th. I looked at the manual and it says to break it down, wipe it down, and oil it.

I can takedown auto handguns, but never owned a shotgun and after looking at the manual there is no way this is going to happen in one day. The question is, "Is it OK to shoot trap with this gun right out of the box?

Much obliged
Old January 7, 2005, 07:57 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

A LOT of people don't clean a new gun before shooting it.

The real reason to clean first is to check for any factory defects, clean out the (usually) dirty factory lube, any metal shavings or grit left in by the factory, and apply fresh lube.

I would recommend at least wiping all factory shipping lube out of the chamber and bore before firing.
Old January 7, 2005, 09:42 PM   #3
NGP58

Bullrock, it would be a good idea to pick up a 12ga. Boresnake. Quick and easy way to clean out the barrel for what you want to do.
Old January 7, 2005, 10:54 PM   #4
cntryboy1289

good advice

The only thing I would add is to carry the snake with you and use it every four or five boxes of shells or so. You don't have to tear the gun down completely to clean it with a good product like gun scrubber. Take the mag cap off and break it down, pull the pin that holds the trigger housing and take it out. The trigger housing is all one unit and there isn't anything that will fall out when you remove it. Spray everything down with the scrubber and then spray down the inside of the receiver and the bolt down. If you have it, use compressed air to blow everything off when you're done. Put it all back together and then all that should be done for a while is just use the snake. Good luck, and good shooting.
Old January 8, 2005, 02:20 PM   #5
Bullrock

Thank All of You!

Thanks so much. I'm on my way out to buy a 12 gauge boresnake and I'll be ready for trap early tomorrow.

Much Obliged
Old January 10, 2005, 04:36 PM   #6
Bullrock

I didn't make trap shooting Sunday due to snow. So I fired my 1st shotgun (Winchester 1300 Sporting Field Compact 12G. with a 24" barrel) today. I put 25 rounds through it without any problem, so thanks for all the good advice about new shotguns.

Man, does that thing kick! If I can suck up the recoil and my shoulder and cheek hold up it will be fine. A 20G may have been better, tho...!!!???
Old January 10, 2005, 06:55 PM   #7
NGP58

When you mount the gun to your shoulder try keeping that elbow straight out as possible,this keeps the gun "locked in " and should help a little with the recoil. There is other alternatives, recoil pads for the stock,more expensive would be Angle Porting the barell. A 20ga. dosen't work well in trap.Not enough shot to break the clays consistently.
Old January 12, 2005, 12:35 AM   #8
cntryboy1289

Lol

I forgot to mention that I let my son have mine because of the recoil. Get a mule kicker and a Simms Vibration recoil pad. They sure help me. I had 2 shoulder surgeries and the recoil from the 1300 like it came from the factory was too much for me with 3'' shells. I bought a Benneli instead of trying to work with it. It is a fine gun and strong as all get out though. My son just laughs at me anytime he shoots a turkey with it.