The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 23, 2015, 03:33 PM   #1
Machineguntony

Newbies love .22!

A few days ago, I took a business associate and his elementary aged kids to the range to shoot some of my guns. I left the full auto stuff at home, but I brought along a 22 pistol and a 22 rifle. I also brought along 1000 rounds of 22 rimfire.

They had never shot a gun before. I instructed and drilled them on the three rules of safety: 1. never point a gun at anything unless you intend to destroy it; 2. always treat every gun like it is loaded; and 3. keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.

Then I let them start to load and shoot. In the span of less than three hours, the little kids consumed all 1000 rounds of 22. And they asked for more! Lol. On a side note, little kids and their little fingers can load 22 magazines fast.

If you ever want to teach a young person the joys of the shooting sports, set them up with a low recoil rifle, and let them shoot some steel or a reactive target.

Newbies love shooting 22! That's why there's a shortage. The kids are using them all up.

Four more future pro-gun voters coming right up!
Old April 23, 2015, 03:46 PM   #2
aarondhgraham

Good on you Tony,,,

I consider introducing newbies to shooting,,,
One of the best uses of my guns there can ever be.

You are right about them going through ammo very quickly,,,
Which is why I don't take semi-auto's with youngsters,,,
I take magazine fed bolts or single-shots exclusively.

Even then it's amazing how fast one kid can reload a Crickett.

I only haul out the semi-auto (Beretta NEOS Carbine),,,
After they have shown me some trigger discipline.

Perhaps "discipline" is the wrong word,,,
But I can't think of a more descriptive term.

I try to instill in them that the fun is in hitting their target,,,
Not in seeing how fast you can pull a trigger.

But again,,,
Good on you!

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old April 23, 2015, 06:52 PM   #3
djont57

Your story brings back fond memories of my Grandpa teaching me to shoot. It also reminds me that I have taught only a few kids to shoot. About time I get busy; my grandson is almost 1!
Old April 23, 2015, 07:07 PM   #4
abowlieb

Me and my son hit the range twice a month when weather and his baseball allows us. Its a good time, we enjoy the time together doing manly things. He has been shooting since he was 5. I started him with an air rifle, now he has a cricket at the age of 8. Still think about what to gwt him next as he has mastered the cricket.
Old April 23, 2015, 07:50 PM   #5
Sevens

Being able to introduce others to shooting is as much a joy as it is a responsibility. When it comes to kids, it's also extremely important that their first/early experience is an extremely positive and safe one.

I would argue emphatically that there are FOUR rules to teach and I won't shoot with anyone who isn't familiar with them but in the case where it is -YOU- that have planned the event, brought the tools and provided access to the place, Rule#4 is entirely in your hands and just about entirely out of their hands.

To be clear, #4 would be knowing your target and what is beyond it.

For your shooting event with them, #4 was out of their hands and with kids especially -- less is more and less is easier to keep focus. Even still, learning #4 will serve them quite well, serve the shooting sports well and serve EVERYONE, everywhere well.

It's a grand opportunity what you had and did! And rewarding in so many ways.
Old April 24, 2015, 10:13 AM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

Kids are a big reason that I buy .22 every time I see it. My daughter doesn't currently have an interest in shooting, but lots of my friends take their kids out to teach them. I try to help keep them supplied with .22. One buddy of mine even likes to teach them with a suppressed .22. Talk about the no-recoil, no-reason-to-flinch rifle!

Good work, MGT!
Old April 24, 2015, 10:29 AM   #7
g.willikers

The kids will have to stand in line behind me.
.22s have always been my favorite, too.
Especially as I've gotten older.
So, don't forget the old folks in your lives.
They like to shoot those accurate, light recoiling rimfires, too.
And probably have a lot less time to enjoy them than those kids.
For when going to the range is not possible, don't forget the excellent airguns available these days.
Some of them are not much different than shooting .22s.
And there's no need to go any farther than the garage or back yard.