The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 30, 2001, 10:24 PM   #1
Berthold

Older Browning A5, Need advice...

I have inherited my grandfathers 1955 belgium Browning light 12 Auto-5. I've downloaded a new manual off Browning.com, and plan to have the action taken down and cleaned by a gunsmith with A-5 expirence. (I can see some grit in there) It has 2 barrels (belgium) and I know I can't use steel shot in them, but I don't hunt waterfowl, yet.

I would like opinions on wood care, what to use oil or wax? what brands?

I think the Length of pull is 14", I measured from the trigger to the end off the butt stock.

How do I figure the right LOP for me? the recoil pad is a White Line and is old and dried out. needs to be replaced.

The gun came in a real nice Browning case (34 1/2" x 10" x 3 3/4"). Its like a suit case, the gun is taken down and held in place buy a leather strap and buckle, and there's 2 slots for the barrels and an accesory spot. The exterior of the case is leather, and the interior is blue velvet.

How do I care for this case, and the leather strap inside? neatsfoot oil??? How about leather gun cases in general?

Also, when the gun is in its Browning suit case should I keep the action locked back? or gently release it against the reciever?

Any info you can provide, including websites, books, value etc etc would be of great interest.

Thanks

Brendan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg browning.jpg (118.6 KB, 71 views)
Old December 31, 2001, 10:04 AM   #2
Captain Bligh

Congratulations on your good fortune to be the grandson of an A-5 owner!

I have a thirty year old A-5 Light 20. Browning made an awesome shotgun in the A-5.

Unfortunately, I can't answer most of your questions but I can give you some opinions. They are merely that. Please use your own judgement.

I have given my stock very little attention over the years and it still looks gorgeous. It does have a slight thread like crack in a place or two that looks like it is a crack in a laquer coat. But the finish overall is very excellent. Note, also that I have shot and hunted with this gun over thirty years so it isn't a guncase show piece. The most I've ever done to the stock in going over it with lemon pledge.

As for your question about the bolt spring when the shotgun is broken down, I believe your manual should give you some advice on this. It has been a long time since I have read mine, but as I recall under the breakdown instructions it says to not release the bolt but keep it in its rearward position. Check me out on this by reading your manual. As I said, mine is 30 years old and it's been awhile (a decade or two) since I read it thoroughly. My own bias is that I would look for some other way to store it besides in its case. I don't like the idea of compressed springs for a long period of time.

Take good care of it. Someday your grandchildren can enjoy it, too.

Randy
Old December 31, 2001, 10:07 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

No A -5 expert, but...

LOP is close to correct when there's an inch and a half between your thumb and nose when mounted.

Some Browning finishes were oil based, some not. Ask the smith when he breaks it down and cleans it what he recommends for that type of finish.

Keep the action locked back. It keeps pressure on the springs,but peening the parts with the bbl off can mess things up PDQ.

For most leather stuff, I like a product called Montana Pitch Blende. Plain old saddle soap also works.
Old December 31, 2001, 10:29 AM   #4
BigG

On A5s, never squeeze the thin part of the forend without it mounted securely on the gun. That has been the source of interminable cracked forends.

I would just wash the action out with Gun Scrubber holding the buttstock uppermost and working the bolt back and forth. Let it drain thoroughly before oiling it back down with something like Eezox.

Sounds like a prize winning gun. Congratulations!
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC