The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 21, 2014, 02:51 PM   #1
EvilE

Best concealed carry 9mm?

I know it's personal preference and subjective, but what 9mm is widely considered as the best CCW and why?
I've never been a huge fan of 9mm, but considering one mainly because of how much more inexpensive the ammo is !! It's considerably more inexpensive!
Old June 21, 2014, 02:58 PM   #2
kym

I'm using a Ruger LC9. I like it because of it's small size and it hasn't had any problems. Some people don't like the trigger but after years of carrying a Kel-Tek P11 it is the bees knees for me.
Old June 21, 2014, 03:11 PM   #3
tahunua001

the best is whatever you can conceal, the best you can afford, and the one you shoot accurately.

for some people this could be something as basic as an Arcus 98DAC or as extravagant as a limcat Razorat 2011.

personally, I carry a springfield XDM45 compact and like it a lot but lately have packed on the pounds and it's getting harder to conceal. I'll probably end up having to switch back to carrying my Ruger SR9 compact. there is nothing wrong with the Ruger, both handguns have been 100% reliable and more than accurate enough for your average self defense scenario, I just shoot the XDM a little better and I fell better with 9 rounds of 45ACP than 10 rounds of 9mm but that's purely academic and all personal choice.

if money is little option, I suggest an XDM9 compact at around $600 if yo shop around, 13 to 19 round capacity is hard to beat in today's market.

if you have a lower budget, Ruger SR9 compact or Beretta PX4 compact both run about $400 and either would be a great carry option.
Old June 21, 2014, 03:26 PM   #4
Grumpy_Bottom

I've been super happy with my sig938 thus far...tiny, easy to conceal, and a great (if heavy) trigger
Old June 21, 2014, 03:34 PM   #5
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
the best is whatever you can conceal, the best you can afford, and the one you shoot accurately.
<<^^That and something with high reliability and decent capacity if possible.

Looking at past threads including one I posted Accuracy stands out as well as capacity and reliability over everything else. YMMV and I hope you never have to find out...
Old June 21, 2014, 03:40 PM   #6
tahunua001

you would think that concealability would still be at the top of the list since some states fine if you are found to be carrying.
Old June 21, 2014, 05:23 PM   #7
Boncrayon

Best concealed carry 9mm?

I'm an LC9 carry...but with Hornady Critical Defense rounds. Fits nice in the pocket with 7+1 in the chamber, 3 safety features (unlike the LCP .380). As with all metal frame pistols, you will need a pocket sleeve to keep sweat off the blued frame...a little occasional cleaning and lite Barricade spray will keep rust from forming in a pocket sweat environment. Some say the long trigger draw is a problem, but it is one of the 3 safety features. At will take about 100-150 rounds for the trigger to smooth out. I carry mine everywhere it is legal to carry, and have had it on me for the last 2.5 years.

Please remember that a conceal carry is for "point and shoot" at between 7-10 feet. You might get the first 2-3 shots off in any altercation.
Old June 21, 2014, 05:24 PM   #8
leadcounsel

This again...?!?!

The one you have with you. Software prevails over hardware 9 out of 10 times.

To quote Deniro on Ronin -
Quote:
Well, you know. lt's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8Oe9SteE3M

Last edited by leadcounsel; June 21, 2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old June 21, 2014, 06:12 PM   #9
Auto5

Kimber Solo, now that I got it running right. Just because it's almost as easy to carry as my LCP. Otherwise, Bersa BP9CC.
Old June 21, 2014, 06:45 PM   #10
Kreyzhorse

Walther PPS is accurate, reliable, well made and easy to conceal.

There isn't a widely agreed upon best 9mm but the Walther is towards the top of a lot of lists.
Old June 21, 2014, 07:09 PM   #11
oneloudvous

S&W Shield
Old June 21, 2014, 07:11 PM   #12
JERRYS.

Quote:
Walther PPS is accurate, reliable, well made and easy to conceal.

There isn't a widely agreed upon best 9mm but the Walther is towards the top of a lot of lists.
this.
Old June 21, 2014, 07:35 PM   #13
PSP

My personal pick is the HK P2000sk. There are so many that qualify as excellent choices. The one that has the most features you want or desire is the best IMHO, and that depends on many personal factors.
Old June 21, 2014, 07:40 PM   #14
ritepath

The best in my SUB 400 buck range was the M&P shield. I do realize it's not the smallest by any means...

For me it's thin, accurate, reliable.
Old June 21, 2014, 07:43 PM   #15
Nick_C_S

I'm not going to choose my carry piece based on the cost of its ammo.

But . . . my most often carry piece is indeed a 9mm. Because it conceals well and is most comfortable. It's a Kahr CW9. It's nothing fancy. But it shoots well; I shoot it well; and it's extremely reliable.
Old June 21, 2014, 07:50 PM   #16
EvilE

Thanks for all he answers. Some great recommendations! As far as ammo price, I disagree. For practice/ plinking, cost certainly does come into play. I guess I just don't have an endless money supply like some of you. I can get a box of 50 9mm for $14 locally. Nothing is even close that price in other calibers! Even .380 is $23 a box! So for me, yes cost of ammo certainly comes into play.
Old June 21, 2014, 08:47 PM   #17
Mystro

Pocket carry and money no object ='s Sig P938. Waistband and large pocket carry on occasion ='s S&W Shield.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old June 21, 2014, 09:33 PM   #18
farmboy

I've got smaller hands, so a S&W Shield currently graces my belt.
Old June 22, 2014, 12:20 PM   #19
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
I know it's personal preference and subjective, but what 9mm is widely considered as the best CCW and why?
I've never been a huge fan of 9mm, but considering one mainly because of how much more inexpensive the ammo is !! It's considerably more inexpensive!
I think 9mm is so popular because it offers a nice balance between power, recoil, gun size, and gun weight. Especially with options like the PPS and Shield, 9mm seems to be the sweet spot for discreet defense. Having experience with both, I prefer the PPS 2:1. It fits me better, I prefer the trigger, I really like that style of magazine release, the fit and finish seem a tad nicer, and yes, it is prettier.

You say that you've never been a fan of 9mm and some people aren't. The question is "why". While more powerful than ol' .38 special and smaller cartridges, some people just don't think it's enough. Some of these people prefer .40, which is available in a lot of the same platforms but at higher ammunition cost and more recoil or muzzle flip. You've got to ask yourself if you are personally comfortable relying on 9mm.

Like in so many other questions, use is what matters. Obviously, any gun you carry and trust with your life should be one you've practiced and know well. Will it be a primary range gun that you shoot for fun? I ask because it seems ammo cost is a primary driver in your reasoning. How often will you actually be shooting it? Also, will you be carrying it with premium defense loads? If so, how much practice will you be getting with those?

Last edited by Cosmodragoon; June 22, 2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old June 22, 2014, 03:11 PM   #20
Corrections Cop

I like my Glock 26, the size and weight are great. I can carry it all day and it is very comfortable.
Old June 22, 2014, 03:19 PM   #21
bedbugbilly

EvilE . . . cost of ammo . . . that's why a lot of us reload. I agree with you on the cost of ammo being high and it certainly factors in. You never know what is going to be on the shelf at the LGS nor what the price will be. And, if you start to reload . . . there certainly is a initial investment in the equipment and supplies.

If I CCW a semi - it's my SR9 but I carry on the belt with a jacket or shirt over it. But, that model is on the larger side and could print easily if you aren't careful. Normally, I'm carrying a Smith Model 36 snobby 38 spl.

I've been looking for a more compact single stack semi for CCW in 9mm that I can switch on and off with my Model 36 depending on what I'm doing and where I am. There are lots of good ones out there but I think I've pretty much settled on a S & W 9mm Shield.

I really don't think there is a "best". It's what fits your hand, your needs and your situation and you budget. Good luck in your search and let us know what you end up with.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 22, 2014, 05:43 PM   #22
Fishbed77

There are so many good options today (and I own several), but I really like my little Kahr CM9 and it has become my primary carry pistol of late. It has been 100% reliable, is small, light, and easy to conceal, and is surprisingly easy to shoot accurately for such a small 9mm pistol.
Old June 22, 2014, 05:51 PM   #23
campbed

The one you actually carry.

My current is a Nano, but I'm new to striker triggers, and I'm pondering a move to P2000SK or PPS also striker pistols, but also pondering a move back to DA/SA trigger with a SIG P239.

We'll see.
Old June 22, 2014, 05:56 PM   #24
tomrkba

Small: Kahr PM9
Compact: S&W M&P Shield
Medium: Springfield EMP 9mm
Large: SIG P220 in 9mm
Old June 22, 2014, 05:57 PM   #25
UncleEd

Consider the Walthers, the Beretta Storms, the HKs, the Smith M&Ps, and if you find you like it the Glock 26.

I'm not sure anyone is really comfortable with the "pocket" nines, not because they don't work and many do work, but in manipulating them under speed and stress is problematic.

You might if thinking "pocket" just be better off with a Ruger LCR .38 or a Smith 442 .38.