The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 15, 2013, 09:34 AM   #1
wbw

Need advice on SIG SP-2022

I purchased an SP-2022 on Gunbroker because no one around here has any, and this one came with two 10 round mags that I want for when Maryland hits us with it's proposed restrictive gun laws. I wanted to have a gun that will not be 'banned' when that time comes.

So yesterday I went to the local FFL to do paperwork and inspect the gun. It was advertised as Factory New. It looks to be used. Slight holster wear on the front. Some rust on the barrell and a tiny bit on barrell at the crown. Bore looks real good. no pitting. I also thought that it had night sights based on one of the pictures of the box in the ad. Turns out the gun has a different serial number than the box, so there are no night sights.

I notified the seller yesterday afternoon and he has agreed to take the gun back and reimburse me for any costs associated with shipping back to him.

The gun does have the two mags which do appear to be new. I also noticed that the frame of the gun was made in West Germany. Is that a plus? Should I offer to keep the gun if the seller refunds $125 or $100? Or should I just go ahead and have the FFL send it back?

Other than the very slight holster wear and the rust, the gun does appear to be in very good condition.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by wbw; February 15, 2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old February 15, 2013, 09:56 AM   #2
EMH

100% return it all at the seller's expense.
Old February 15, 2013, 10:25 AM   #3
Contrast Man

I would return it, they're not terribly rare guns and you should be able to get one no problem online. I believe palmetto state armory had some not to long ago, but I could be wrong there.
Old February 15, 2013, 11:56 AM   #4
Saudadeii

Think about it. West Germany hasn't existed in over 20 years.

I have an SP2022, purchased in Dec, made back in Apr 2012. Frame made in Exeter.

There are a lot of threads around about quite a few variations as demand has grown recently. Some have Swiss made frames with the Sig proprietary rail. Mine has the Picatinny.

I'd return it.
Old February 15, 2013, 12:10 PM   #5
RC20

You need to sort out what you want vs what you got and then decide.

Basically the seller is a shyster. Gunbroker needs to be contacted so they can deal with and watch him in the future. They do not allow bogus listings and that is what he did. Bait and switch on the box vs what was sold on the sights as well.

As for the gun itself, its your choice if you return it or negotiate a lower price. A lot lower price in this case.

Its not that its used, its the capability.

As stated, the rail is proprietary in that era, so none of your accessories that are pictanay design will fit on it.

If you are ok with that, then negotiate. He may just take it back.

Regardless contact Gunbroker. They run an honest servcie and if not reported he will not be dealt with and do it to others.
Old February 15, 2013, 12:51 PM   #6
wbw

I just called SIG. Based on serial number the pistol was manufactured in Feb. 2006. So how does the frame say Made in West Germany if West Germany has not been around for 20 years? I'm confused now.
Old February 15, 2013, 12:53 PM   #7
EMH

West Germany doesn't exist anymore, but the stamp still does.
Old February 15, 2013, 12:56 PM   #8
wbw

So in 2006 SIG was still stamping their German frames with 'West Germany'?
Old February 15, 2013, 01:00 PM   #9
EMH

I'm not saying that. I'm just saying "West German" stamps still exist to this day.
Whether they use them or not on a regular basis is not known.
Old February 15, 2013, 01:43 PM   #10
Saudadeii

Can you post some pictures?

Have you compared it to the stock pics on Sig's site?
Old February 15, 2013, 03:56 PM   #11
wbw

Can't post any pics. Didn't think to take a camera.

I have decided to go through with the deal. The seller has agreed to refund a satisfactory amout of my purchase price. If I had bought some other 2022, unless it came with 10 round mags (and most don't), then I would be spending probably $80 for two mags. This will work out fine.
Old February 15, 2013, 04:00 PM   #12
TunnelRat

Quote:
I have decided to go through with the deal. The seller has agreed to refund a satisfactory amout of my purchase price.
Not what I would have done, good luck.
Maintain situational awareness