The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 6, 2012, 01:34 PM   #26
Crow Hunter

Quote:
My gripe is selling the SIG 1911 still
Difference in mindset.

While it may be possible that a person could be equally good and perform to a very high standard with many different action types and holster types and carry positions and calibers, most people will benefit from focusing on a single handgun carried in a particular holster and carried in a particular position. This will allow them to reach the point of "Unconscious Competence" and be able to react quickly and decisively to any threat to their life and get inside an opponents OODA loop even when they start behind the curve when attacked.

Running at 60% of a persons ability with 3 or 4 different weapons is not as good as being at 90% with a G26 or whichever type of weapon a person chooses to focus on.

Most people, average civilians in particular, don't get enough practice with their carry weapon in realistic defensive shooting. The mostly do slow fire accuracy at 7 yards.

Quote:
Call me cocky if you want, I really don't care. I shoot weekly so maybe that's why, but I've mastered several of my guns and am extremely adequate with them all. Practice in general makes perfect.
You do some FAST drills with each of your mastered weapon types and see how you compare with some of the guys who focus on a single weapon type.

http://pistol-training.com/fastest

You might find out you are an undiscovered handgun phenom and become the next Dave Sevigny or Rob Leatham or Jerry Miculek but across multiple action types and even start your own shooting school.

Good luck.
Old October 6, 2012, 01:47 PM   #27
p loader

Quote:
Call me cocky if you want, I really don't care. I shoot weekly so maybe that's why, but I've mastered several of my guns and am extremely adequate with them all. Practice in general makes perfect.
"mastered"

That's a bold statement. I bet if you asked someone who shot over 100k rounds a month if they completely mastered their weapon system they would tell you that there is always room for improvement. I've never met a perfect shooter until now, I have to say I'm impressed.
Old October 6, 2012, 02:04 PM   #28
PeterGreg

buying more ammo and simplifing,yeah I get that, proper training is a good thing but shooting should be fun also so if you can get that from the glock then you did it right for you.
Old October 6, 2012, 03:13 PM   #29
StainlessSteel215

Right on Crow & Peter - EXACTLY what my mission is now.
I miss the Sig, who wouldnt, but Ive set new priorities for myself and FAST drills are top on the list. I saw a fellow nail his targets in under 5 seconds and my head spun. I WANT TO DO THAT! I need to customize a way to do this by myself since I usually hit the range by myself. I guess I could set it all up on my phone....an alarm followed by a timer.

When I wrote this thread I purposely included the word "master" because thats exactly what I am setting out for. I dotn expect to master this pistol in months....more like years. May not JUST be my G26 either....might also include a G17 or S&W MP9 because Im considering both guns for my next purchase as a back-up backup.

Thanks for the feedback everyone
Old October 6, 2012, 03:15 PM   #30
Tactical Jackalope

Crow Hunter & p loader

I'm am not a civilian. My training methods are not known by either of you.

It's the "gun enthusiast" part of me speaking on this forum.

Thank you for your concern.

SIG 1911 XO / SA 1911 custom / Colt Gold Cup / Colt 70 Series / SIG P226 e2 / Browning High-power / Walther PPQ / G34 / G19 / G21 / G22 / S&W M-19 / Hk USP 40 / Rem 870 / Rock R. AR-15

sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII
Old October 6, 2012, 03:24 PM   #31
Tactical Jackalope

StainlessSteel215, my set up for years was a G22 and G27 as a back up. Head for the G17.

SIG 1911 XO / SA 1911 custom / Colt Gold Cup / Colt 70 Series / SIG P226 e2 / Browning High-power / Walther PPQ / G34 / G19 / G21 / G22 / S&W M-19 / Hk USP 40 / Rem 870 / Rock R. AR-15

Old October 7, 2012, 01:29 AM   #32
Rob228

Quote:
Couldn't serve cause of a piece of titanium in my knee that still hurts from time to time. Sucks...lol

Quote:
I'm am not a civilian. My training methods are not known by either of you.

Care to elaborate?
Old October 7, 2012, 07:19 AM   #33
Tactical Jackalope

Sure bub...was hired for the MDPD in 2008, started the academy and all. January. Not during the academy of course. I injured my knee. And got a surgery January 5th of 2009. (I'll post pics darling) they took me out of the academy for a temporary time. I needed clearance from my surgeon for a year after. Dr. John Uribe. Look him up Mr. FBI he's well known. I was denied clearance due to muscle atrophy in my right quad. I was good to go but my doctor wouldn't let me right away. So I was prescribed testosterone enathate and hit the gym. Gained 20lbs. Awesome. Went back, Miami-Dade county had a hiring freeze. So went for the military. Which they couldn't take me for the reason you searched like my girlfriend would when she's jealous. That was cute by the way :P

So...since you wanna know about my personal life, here's the awesome part. You read? This is going to be great.

I'm fluent in Arabic cause I am of Lebanese decent. Born and raised in Miami Florida. I learned Spanish as well. Both of which with a non "gringo" accent as they say. I picked up a JOB and CAREER and TRAINING under a branch of the government. My linguistic are my are my bread and butter. Port of Miami is in....MIAMI. And that's all you get to know. Thank you for your concern. You're an honorary civilian seeking out truth and justice on the interwebs! Congrats

Gonna post a few pics here and some in another post cause the X-ray pictures show my name.

EDIT: Also, very quick. I HAVE worked a few jobs here and there while the schooling went on. Hotel, warehouse. Little gigs.

Last edited by Tactical Jackalope; October 7, 2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old October 7, 2012, 07:23 AM   #34
Tactical Jackalope

That last one..sucked.

Anyways. Enjoy!

Old October 7, 2012, 07:27 AM   #35
Tactical Jackalope

double post.

Last edited by Tactical Jackalope; October 7, 2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old October 7, 2012, 07:35 AM   #36
StainlessSteel215

Yikes, you get Internet bravery points for enduring a procedure like that....I've never had knee issues but that looked painful. I don't think anyone was picking at you it was just an honest curious question....you did leave a bit of mystery when you wrote that bit about ur methods. Now they know!

So how does that impact your life now? Was that an ACL type injury? How do you work around it now?
Old October 7, 2012, 07:43 AM   #37
Tactical Jackalope

Thank you...It's just annoying..imagine the amount of searching he did. Apply to the FBI. lol...kidding. It's like going up to an off duty officer and saying "You're not real!" Lame...

ACL, meniscus, and bone contusion. Not going to say how it happened. Ridiculous.

It was an extremely painful surgery. Hence the year off they gave. Which was filled with physical therapy where they hurt you to make you feel better. I know..twisted. How do I work around it now? Well I don't really. It's actually stronger than my left knee in some aspects.

Eh...things happen. My old man even said he believes the injury was a sign to not go with the MDPD...awesome sign old man. Couldn't they have sent a lighter sign? lol well yeah...that's that.

Funny note: When I went for the Marine Corp. and they asked about it and I said "Titanium in my right knee" he said "OooOo..can you take that out?"

I just stared at him and it went another direction. Can't you see the channel in the X-ray where the bone looks like it was drilled through? That's never coming out.
Old October 7, 2012, 09:47 AM   #38
Mike Irwin
Staff

This thread is heading in directions that I do not like. Everyone takes a step back, stays on topic, and stops the personal sniping right now. I've got a rare three day weekend, and if I have to spend time on this kiddie crap some people will not like the outcome.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 7, 2012, 06:09 PM   #39
orionengnr

When I moved to a Free State almost 9 years ago, I wanted to get my CHL. I started shooting more frequently...and the ammo costs were killing me.

I bought a Ruger MkII and started shooting 100 rounds of .22 then 50 rounds of centerfire. Sometime thereafter, a lifelong friend moved to Germany and "willed" me his Dillon 450, with caliber conversion, scale, manuals, etc. I started handloading for .45acp. (After the initial investment for primers, powder and bullets, plus a vernier and a few odds and ends), my ammo costs went way down.

I still take the Ruger almost every range session, and still put ~100 rounds of .22LR downrange before moving to a centerfire. The difference is, these days I can afford to do it once a week (health permitting). I am no Jerry Miculek, but I am a good bit better than I was even two years ago.

I attribute a lot of that to the 22LR, and the theory of "aim small, miss small" that I read about here.

Even a single-stage press will help you put together 9mm for about 1/2 of factory loads, and you can build 50-100 rounds per week without spending serious time. That is assuming range pick-up brass and lead bullets bought at least 500 at a time (Missouri Bullet will put 2000 in a $13 Flat Rate box).
A pound of powder bought locally goes a good ways (~1400 rounds at 5 gr/rd). I buy primers and powder at local gun shows to avoid the HazMat fee.

Good luck and keep shooting.