The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 12, 2009, 05:48 PM   #1
Lewis Smigielski

Mowery rifle

I recently picked up a Mowery cap and ball .45 cal. rifle. It has a hardwood stock and a sheet brass foreend. Iseem to recall seeing ads for these rifles in the '70s, but don't recall where they were made. Is anyone familiar with these guns?
Old January 12, 2009, 07:57 PM   #2
Pahoo

Don't know if this helps but have a book that says these are made and distributed in Waldren IN. Based on Ethan Allen designs. Personally not all that familiar with them ....

Be Safe !!!
Old January 12, 2009, 10:05 PM   #3
sundance44s

I`ve got one I bought a few years ago ( gunshow find ) ...mine has the brass reciever and sheet brass forearm 50 cal ... these rifles were called EathanAllen Rifles , sold by Mowrey in Olin TX. USA ...Mowrey has been out of business for quite a long time , but a company called DeerCreek ..bought the gunworks and parts ...The folks at DeerCreek have plenty of parts on hand and can make just about any part you could need lock stock and barrels .....I replaced the brass reciever on mine with a steel one from DeerCreek ...they still make the brass but also offer it in steel ....I had problems with the brass reciever getting soft so I replaced mine with the steel reciever and kept the brass one for latter replacement ...
The folks at DeerCreek told me the brass reciever model was rare around 1959 - 1960, not many made , they had never seen one , just talked to people like me that owned them . Here`s a pic of mine with the reciever replacement

Last edited by 4V50 Gary; January 20, 2015 at 03:47 PM. Reason: picture of automobile deleted. C'mon, show us the Mowrey!
Old January 13, 2009, 05:13 PM   #4
Creek Walker

Hello all,

New to this forum, but have been reading a lot of the posts lately and feel as if I've "found a home". Been shooting BP guns for lots of years & love 'em. Speaking of which, I have one of the Mowery .50 cal rifles. It has a brass frame and a wooden fore end. Got lots of other rifles, some custom, but I'm here to tell you that that Mowery "hangs" better than any of 'em! I feel like I can hold on target forever (well, maybe a full minute anyway ). Hope to make meat with it someday.
Old September 21, 2010, 04:34 PM   #5
odette

Mowery Rifles

I have two Mowery's, one steel frame .50 cal and one brass frame .54 cal. I do not recommend getting a brass frame. It is a soft brass and the nipple blows out of the frame if loading over a 90 grain load. The steel frame is a good rifle and very accurate. I would put it up against any Lyman Great Plains rifle. The brass frame has been nothing but problems and I would like to change it to a steel frame. I will contact the new company that owns the rights to the Mowery Rifles and see if they have a frame.
Old January 7, 2015, 11:01 PM   #6
tyler4656

Mowrey 54 made in Olney Texas

Hi I picked up a in Great shape Mowrey 54 cal Brass frame rifle. Its not really my thing and I was thinking of trading it for a more modern made rifle. Blue, Brass,and wood and in great shape. This rifle has a Brass forearm. Marked 54 Mowrey Olney Texas sn# 21xx
Does anyone know a price range that I should be looking at? Thanks for your help.
I can text or email pics
[email protected]
806-729-7292
Old January 7, 2015, 11:36 PM   #7
tyler4656

pics

Old January 8, 2015, 06:46 AM   #8
Stormson

Sooo... sundance44s, you got the rifle in the trunk or what??? LOL

Old January 8, 2015, 08:27 AM   #9
Captchee

Quote:
Don't know if this helps but have a book that says these are made and distributed in Waldren IN. Based on Ethan Allen designs. Personally not all that familiar with them ....
Boy does that bring back memories .
its an old Ethan Allen design . But there were two recent manufactures that used different spelling , Mowery and Mowrey .One was much higher in quality then the others Its been a while I would have to look it up but I want to say one was mad in Texas and the other in In
Old January 8, 2015, 08:55 PM   #10
tyler4656

Thanks

Thanks For the info
Old January 9, 2015, 05:54 PM   #11
bedbugbilly

Used to see these once in a while on trader's row and sheep sheds at Friendship. Memory is a little foggy but I believe I remember seeing these advertised in Muzzle Blasts in the 60s? Nice find!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 20, 2015, 02:17 PM   #12
Flintlock53

I would see Bill Mowery around Wichita Falls, TX at a lot of the black powder shoots I used to frequent in the 70's. He has some nice rifles.
I had one in a 50 with a 1 1/16" barrel. It was a great cross stick gun.

Mike
Old January 20, 2015, 03:48 PM   #13
4V50 Gary
Staff

Waiting for Sundance's photo. Nice car, but I don't want to see cars.