The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old June 15, 2013, 09:35 AM   #1
browninghunter86

Beware of Shilen

Just wanted to let any potential shooters in the market for a barrel to STAY AWAY from Shilen. I recently had a horrible experience with them and will never purchase anything from them again. Their customer service on this incident was non existent. Did (almost) nothing to help me resolve my problem with a barrel I have only had for a few months and less than 400 rounds down the tube. Anyone interested can read the issue here http://forum.accurateshooter.com/ind...91#msg36220491

I was given the run around on the time it took to actually get the barrel inspected after being told it would be rushed to the front and inspected immediately. I guess my idea of that was a lot shorter than the 5 weeks it took them to do so. Received an email from my gunsmith late in the evening this week showing me a couple photos of what Shilen had emailed him. It was the same photo type that I posted on here to get some ideas of what caused this. SO didn't get any more input that we already knew. That is the reason we sent it to them in the first place.

Was told to call the owner of Shilen to discuss what to do next. So next day I call and ask to talk to him. I never got to speak to him, the person who answered the phone was telling him the questions I was asking and he was telling her what to say back. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE right there.

I was told it had a patch shot through the barrel. I proceeded to explain there was no way I left a patch in the barrel, was there anything else that might have caused this. It was silent for several seconds like she was pretending to think about it. Then she told me "well they pretty much knew what caused this without looking" I explained again that this was not the issue. Basically(didn't actually get told this) I got a response of oh well nothing we will do for you.

They would cut it down past the spot for me and make it a "sawed off" barrel for me. And was asked if that would work for me. I explained this was an FTR rifle and was going to be shot for 1000 yd and 600 yard competition. She laughed and said that will be a little short for that.

I was told the would cut and recrown it for no charge. Was about to hang up and then she asked if I had a credit card on file that they would need that for the shipping back to me. WHAAT?!!!

I have gotten a few PM's stating they had horrible experience and customer service from Shilen too in the past. So it is not just me.

There are several companies that have gone beyond customer service for me and others out there and apparently Shilen is not one of them. I guess their product is so good that they didn't feel the need to help me out in this situation. Didn't even offer a small discount to get a new barrel from them or anything like that.
Old June 15, 2013, 09:54 AM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Firing off a round, with a patch left in the barrel, would not form a hump in the steel, forming to the inside, but it would cause a bulge (larger in diameter, or larger than the bore). It would be physically impossible for this to happen, or that the steel could in any way turn inward.
Old June 15, 2013, 10:02 AM   #3
Evan Thomas

Moved to the Feedback forum.

Note that the rules for this forum are now in effect. If you're not sure what they are, read them, and the general Gun Show rules as well.
Old June 15, 2013, 04:51 PM   #4
Double Naught Spy

Well, it sounds like their customer service was lacking, no doubt. I had not experienced that with them, but have only dealt with them at once. However, that they didn't give you a discount on a new barrel isn't a surprise. The damage appears to be user-based. They suggested you left a patch in the barrel, but it looks like a squib ring. Not all squibs produce big bulges. So basically, Shilen is going to believe the problem was not of their creation and hence have no feeling of obligation to discount you a new barrel.

No shock there either that Shilen did not want to pay to send your barrel back. They don't see it as a warranty issue (assuming their warranty covers shipping and not all companies have warranties that cover shipping).

This, of course, does not make up for the poor communications in any way. They should have called you with their assessment within a day or two of receiving the barrel.
Old June 15, 2013, 05:19 PM   #5
Rangemaster556

I am super surprised at that response. I have dealt with them in the past and they have always been super helpful. But that was years ago.
Old June 15, 2013, 08:20 PM   #6
NoSecondBest

I've used their barrels on several guns and I've never had a problem with their customer service. I'm surprised you've had so much trouble. I know a lot of target shooters who use their products and I've never heard of any significant customer service issues. Changing times?
Old June 16, 2013, 08:24 AM   #7
NoSecondBest

People will buy what works best regardless of a couple of internet comments about "bad" service. Whatever wins sells.
Old June 16, 2013, 10:03 AM   #8
browninghunter86

It had shot very well, but I was having consistency issues from the get go. And finally borescoped it and that is what we found. I know 100% sure no cleaning patch was left and no squib load was shot. I know this because the last thing I do is run a patch with oil down the barrel and check it to see if it comes out white, if not I know to repeat cleaning procedure. I also know for sure no squib load was shot because every single shot has been accounted for on paper while shooting. Even when I shot 600 yards for the first time I was dead on the paper. I probably could find on my online photo album every single bullet shot through the barrel. I am OCD and very meticulous with that rifle. I log all my cleaning procedure, how each load shot, the number of shots I fired, etc....

I know some have shot squibs/cleaning patches in their rifles, but it could be possible that something slipped QC. I have had several people send me PM on numerous forums stating they have seen this from a barrel before that was due to imperfections in the barrel material, etc... So I am not the 1 person in the world that this has happened to.

NoSecondBest- that is true but there is a lot more barrel names on the record and win lists than Shilen
Old June 16, 2013, 11:00 AM   #9
Evan Thomas

I've deleted several posts, and some of you have messages on the way.

What part of read the rules was not clear?

To post replies in this forum, you must have done business with the company or member involved.
Old June 16, 2013, 12:42 PM   #10
hoghunting

I have Shilen barrels on a few of my rifles and have never had a problem with any of them. I live in TX and pass through Ennis - Shilen's location - to go hunting. They have always been courteous and friendly, and they sponsor our Police Dept.'s sniper team, donate, and install barrels for their rifles. The sniper team has taken Nationals twice and came in 2nd in International competitions.

Sorry you have problems with your barrel, but wonder how your attitude when calling might have affected customer service. I have only great things to say about Shilen, will highly recommend them, and will continue letting them install barrels on my rifles.
Old June 16, 2013, 02:19 PM   #11
eastbank

well by their actions with the original poster they have lost me as a customer as i,m sure others will take their actions as not up to snuff and will not use their barrels either. SO HOW MUCH WILL THEY HAVE SAVED IN THE LONG RUN BY NOT MAKING IT RIGHT WITH THIS BARREL? eastbank.
Old June 20, 2013, 11:07 AM   #12
browninghunter86

hoghunting- my attitude with Shilen was patient and curious. I tried asking them what else might have caused this and their response was what made me want to inform others of the customer service(well lack of) I got. I was never rude or blamed them for what happened. The whole reason I sent it back was to see what was in the barrel and what caused it.
Old June 21, 2013, 07:09 AM   #13
eastbank

i just don,t understand some companies, how much would it have cost them to replace the barrel, maybe 125-225 dollars? they could not buy for any where that cost the good will and customer statisfation by replacing the barrel. i owned a store many years ago and would bend over backwards to keep a customer happy, i,ll admit it was in a small town where things like this would have gotten around rather quickly. eastbank.
Old June 22, 2013, 10:01 AM   #14
Clark

I have put 7 Shilen barrels on rifles of mine.
I have more Shilen barrels waiting for me to put them on other rifles.

I have also worked other premium brands; Krieger, Lothar Walther, Lilja, Hart, Douglas, PacNor, and Parker Hale.

I consider Shilen the best deal.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old June 23, 2013, 12:39 PM   #15
eastbank

all the more to take care of any problem that may arise with a bad or mistake with the barrel.i bring leupold into this as i had a 4.5x14.5 lps 52 that needed overhauled(not leupolds fault) they did not want to work on it for some reason, and offered me a choice between three new scopes for the old one and i choose a brand new 4.5x14.5 with 30mm tube and side focus along with the tds turret system free including shipping. they sure get a lot of praise from me anytime i can offer it. eastbank.