The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 5, 2012, 07:55 PM   #26
Tucker 1371

Haven't personally owned a bad one yet. I was however shooting a machinegun range back in February of 2011 and the M249 I was issued cycled 5 100 round belts flawlessly, halfway through the 6th the bolt head literally sheared off In the weapon's defense it HAD been in the inventory since Desert Storm (the first go round) and quite possibly had close to a million rounds through it... and people say the military isn't asking for more money .
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old December 5, 2012, 08:12 PM   #27
Ricklin

A really old colt revolver

Years ago I bought a gunsmith special from one of the Shotgun News advertiser's. It was a police turn in from S. America. Colt police positive in .38 special. I think the gun was originally nickle finish, pretty much all gone when I got it. It also did not work at all. Paid like 20 bux for it.
We had bluing tanks at the time. So I stripped it down, polished it, and blued it. Gee now it looks decent, still does not work.
It got stuck in the back of the safe for many years. I finally dug it out and got in to the lockwork and noticed a part was bent. I straightened it, and lo and behold gun worked fine.
Well, except that one could not hit the broad side of a barn with it, standing inside the barn.

It did turn in to one of my best trades ever tho. traded it for a very nice 03 colt pocket hammerless, made in 1919.

The gal I traded with is quite happy, she can't hit the barn with a good gun anyway. My wife loves the 1903 Colt.
Old December 5, 2012, 08:18 PM   #28
Kreyzhorse

Taurus M85. By far the worse gun I've ever owned and really that only gun that I've owned that was junk.

Thankfully it is long gone.
Old December 5, 2012, 08:25 PM   #29
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

First centerfire rifle I ever bought was an Enfield #5 Jungle Carbine that had been "Sporterized"...? With a hack saw and a bastard file it had been sporterized. I guess that is why I got it for $18.

It shot fine but kicked like a ticked off mule and you could literally feel the muzzle blast on your face. The first offer I got for it made me grin all over the place as I quickly agreed before he could change his mind. I would love another one but in full dress this time with all of the wood and all of the barrel.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old December 5, 2012, 08:35 PM   #30
egor20

Grendel P10 Pistol, Caliber .380 ACP
Top feed, horrid trigger, my Ex-wife likes it though.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old December 5, 2012, 08:45 PM   #31
1 old 0311-1

Seecamp, hands down. It only takes ONE kind of ammo and it can't go through a mag without some kind of issue. JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old December 5, 2012, 08:46 PM   #32
rmocarsky

HAL,

I thought I was the only human being alive who had a Ruger Mark I that was a disappointment.

The only thing it would not choke on was CCI Stingers.

Rmocarsky
Old December 5, 2012, 08:52 PM   #33
m&p45acp10+1

A Jennings J22 that was inside a tackle box a friend's dad gave me. I found the gun, and tried to give it back to him. He told me to either keep it, or use it for a trout line sinker. If I point it down, and the shot fires it will hit the ground. If I drop it, it will hit the ground. I keep it in the same tackle box it came in. Tried to shoot a snake with it once. Notice I said tried.

Only time I ripped off on a free gun.
Old December 5, 2012, 08:56 PM   #34
lee n. field

Quote:
What is the worst gun you own/still own today?
The really bad stuff is gone. Everything I have now works reasonably well.

"Worst" would probably be the KT PF9, but only because it's kind of crude in finish and design. I works pretty well.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 5, 2012, 08:56 PM   #35
chris in va

CZ 52. By far the worst.

Ironically my P01 is the best.
Old December 5, 2012, 09:12 PM   #36
YARDDOG(1)

Love em ALL ; )

Y/D
Old December 5, 2012, 09:27 PM   #37
smee78

Taurus M85 Ultralite, shot a few cylinders throught it (new)and went to reload it and the cylinder fell to the floor A few months later my wifes did the same thing. It was stripping the hole out in the frame that held the cylinder & crane, it was not due to a loose screw or any over tighting, the thing just strips its self out. Then my Taurus p345 frame cracked in my hand while shooting and from that day on I have told myself to never get another Taurus.
Old December 5, 2012, 09:31 PM   #38
Guv

Easy AutoMag III, 30 carbine!
Old December 5, 2012, 10:02 PM   #39
jhenry

Of the hundreds of different firearms I have had, I can truly say I have only ever had one piece of crap gun. A brand new Diamondback DB9. It is a nice looking very lightweight 9mm pocket gun. It would be a great piece if they could manage to turn out guns that work, or if they had any type of decent customer service, even cared about customer service.

A bad gun from a worse company.
Old December 5, 2012, 10:09 PM   #40
TurkeyOak

I've been careful and or lucky and everything I own I'm satisfied with. However, I'm hoping to get a 50-60 year old Rohm 22 short revolver that has been in the family for years. POS but sentimental value. That will be the worst.
Old December 5, 2012, 10:20 PM   #41
Super Sneaky Steve

Taurus PT1911. I'd sell it but I'd feel guilty selling someone a junk gun.
Old December 6, 2012, 02:02 AM   #42
Rifleman1952

Kahr CW 45

Horrible jam (had to be taken to a gunsmith to clear). Many feeding problems. Just not reliable enough for CCW. Perhaps mine was just a lemon, but not willing to take another chance with Kahr.
Old December 6, 2012, 03:17 AM   #43
Irish B

^^^I bought my brother a Kahr .45 and it's had probably close to 1000 rounds through it with no problems. That little gun is one of the most reliable and perfect CC guns i've ever seen.

As for me my Marlin Model 60 .22. It jams on EVERY kind of ammo. Even CCI and wildcat!! I will say iron sights though it's the most accurate gun i've ever owned. As a kid i used to shoot birds out of the air with it.
Old December 6, 2012, 03:45 AM   #44
Single Six

Marlin 1894SS .44 Magnum. No matter how clean I kept it, no matter how hard I racked that lever, it jammed on me. Even returning it to Marlin for repairs didn't help. My very first [and my very last] lever action. Sold it off PDQ.
Old December 6, 2012, 04:13 AM   #45
aircorpnut

honestly, the only bad one i've had was a s&w sigma 380 compact. bought it new thinking it would make a nice summertime pocket carry piece, but after numerous trips to the range, i figured out i couldnt depend on it. it never cycled properly after the first round. ended up selling it for the purchase price of an old 1950's beat to hell s&w j frame snubby. best deal i ever made. the "j" is still my summer ccw. might get it refinished someday, but its kinda nice as is. just drop it in my pocket with whatever is already in there & go, no worries on scratching it!
Old December 6, 2012, 07:43 AM   #46
45_auto

Worst gun I ever owned was a Ruger Mini-14. Horribly inaccurate with any kind of ammo. It wouldn't shoot a group, you could barely call it a pattern. It went away in a trade many years ago.

Worst one I still own is probably a pristine S&W M27 made in the 1950's. Reason it's pristine is probably because the flash gap is so tight (one thousandth of an inch) that it starts binding up after firing one or two cylinders of ammo, so it has had very few rounds through it. I really ought to get it opened up one day.
Old December 6, 2012, 08:37 AM   #47
jhenry

Having a gunsmith take care of that cylinder gap issue is pretty simple and would give you a reliable classic.
Old December 6, 2012, 09:47 AM   #48
CUBAN REDNECK

Sigma .380. Awful trigger and hard to field strip and clean.
Old December 6, 2012, 10:08 AM   #49
jborushko

Alchemy Arms SPECTRE

horrible never got to shoot the thing, broke it self after a few days of drills (snap cap in the pipe)

Old December 6, 2012, 10:08 AM   #50
chewie146

I've had taurus handguns that were bad, but the worst was a stainless mini-30. I bought a Saiga to replace that, and it's everything the mini should have been.