The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 19, 2007, 02:33 PM   #1
bulletcamp

big steel plate shoot in ohio may 26

Ohio’s Ultimate
Steel Plate Pistol Match
May 26, 2007

S.T.A.R.T. Training Facility in association with Bullet Camp will sponsor a Steel Plate Pistol Match, at the S.T.A.R.T. Training Facility Pistol Range. Consisting of 200 steel targets.

Targets will be Air Reset—Rope Reset—Computer Operated—and Movers.

Cost per Shooter will be $60

Two Pistol Classifications Only: Open and Limited 10.

Open Class: will be any pistol with Laser Sites, Scope, or Compensator. Maximum 15 rounds per magazine. (Regardless of magazine capacity).

Limited 10 Class: will be any stock pistol with iron sights and only 10 rounds per magazine. (Regardless of magazine capacity).

Speed Holsters may be used for each classification.

Shooters should come with at least 4 magazines.

No alibis on the match, if it breaks or whatever sorry!

Thank you for your interest in Ohio’s Ultimate Steel Plate Match

Winners Will Receive.
$100 First Place Winner in Each Class.

$50 Second Place Winner in Each Class.

$25 Third Place Winner in Each Class.

Any Questions feel free to contact
Larry F. Thornton 1-740-859-5164 or Email [email protected]
Brian Oldani 1-440-205-0425 or Email [email protected]

This shoot will consiste of 200 steel reactive plates that will have to be knocked down on eight differnt stages. There will be pepper poppers, reaction simulators, moving targtes, siloutes, plate racks. this is a mix of idpa and uspa style shooting useing the best from both disaplines. there will be prizes and food avilble

we are updating the web site to show the types of targets that will be there here is the link to the web site

http://www.galvanic.co.uk/bulletcamp/
Old March 19, 2007, 10:16 PM   #2
Ken O

Where in Ohio?
Old March 20, 2007, 10:43 AM   #3
bulletcamp

mingo junction cool spings rd. st. rt. 151 here is the map quest way i take from my place
http://www.mapquest.com/directions/m...2z=&panelbtn=2
Old March 21, 2007, 08:06 PM   #4
otasan

Well

Didi I read that right? For an entry fee of $60 the absolute best one can do is to get a mere $100 in winnings?

There must be a LOT of overhead at this facility.
Old March 23, 2007, 12:49 AM   #5
bulletcamp

why dont you go buy 200 steel tagets in the form of pepper poppers, reaction simulator, plate racks, tracked movers along with the meeans to power every thing, 4 generators 4 air compressors, and see what your over head would be mines just over $38,000 just for the the steel.

do you want to shoot or do you want to play with the lottery tickets. your chioce
Old March 29, 2007, 09:57 PM   #6
ClydeVA

As far as match fee goes 60 bucks would be the cheapest big match I shoot.
Sounds like a good time..

Clyde
Old March 31, 2007, 10:41 AM   #7
BillOH

This should be a fun match. I shoot IDPA at START.

I'm scheduled to be a Range Officer for this match.

Bill
Old April 8, 2007, 05:52 PM   #8
otasan

Quote:
why dont you go buy 200 steel tagets in the form of pepper poppers, reaction simulator, plate racks, tracked movers along with the meeans to power every thing, 4 generators 4 air compressors, and see what your over head would be mines just over $38,000 just for the the steel.

do you want to shoot or do you want to play with the lottery tickets. your chioce
Why be so snide and sarcastic? I merely made the point that you are advertising you match to the entire world, inviting them to come to OH, and the best they can do by winning 1st place is get $100 against a $60 entry fee, plus motel, food, cartridges, and travel costs.

The prize table could be a lot more generous, it seems to me.

My $0.02, respectfully.
Old April 9, 2007, 02:42 PM   #9
9mm1033

Quote:
Why be so snide and sarcastic? I merely made the point that you are advertising you match to the entire world, inviting them to come to OH, and the best they can do by winning 1st place is get $100 against a $60 entry fee, plus motel, food, cartridges, and travel costs.
I agree and I live in Ohio.
Old April 9, 2007, 09:50 PM   #10
Ken O

Geez guys, if you think you are going to make money at it, you are in the wrong sport. I think the guy was trying to tell you the entry money won't even cover expenses. I've shot a lot of big IDPA matches that cost a whole lot more, and there is no payback. I did get a pound of gunpowder at the Michigan state IDPA match as a table prize.
I agree that its too bad there aren't more corporate sponsors to have a nice payback, but to complain to someone that is trying to get a match going that you wont shoot unless their is more money paid out...
Maybe you should show him how its done, organize a match, spend the thousands of dollars for the targets, rent the range, pay the insurance, etc, etc, charge $60 and have a huge payout. I'm waiting, and hoping that it works for you!
Old April 11, 2007, 06:53 PM   #11
otasan

Again, why so Snide and Sarcastic

I am a competition shooter. I am also of limited means. I am not sponsored by any firearms industry sponsor. I enjoy the handgun shooting sports enough to participate for the last 30 years at all levels.

I have no desire to put together a shooting match, for I am a competitor only. It takes enough of my time and resources to stay in the sport.

So, no, I would rather not drive from NH to my home state of OH to shoot in a match where the best I can do with a against some of the best shooters in the nation is win $100 after paying a $60 entry fee. If this is the best that a shooting match can offer to the competitors, no matter what the reason, then fine. I'm just suggesting that a better prize table would attract more competitors, especially from beyond the mid-west.

If the "ultimate steel match" cannot get corporate sponsors, then the event suffers.

But charging $60 for a chance to get only $100 back by besting all other shooters is just plain, well, cheap.

If the producers of this match have to have the shooters at an inaugural event pay for the match implements and hi-tech targets, then they should not be in the business. It smells.

I'll pass. There are plenty of pin matches in New England that do not try to soak the shooters in order to pay for pin table construction, or for the pins.
Old April 11, 2007, 09:05 PM   #12
Ken O

Otasan, thats your prerogative, and I don't blame you. I was just pointing out that we don't have the sponsorship/TV coverage/money, that golf or other sports have.
I shoot the Nationals at Camp Perry for high power rifle. Competitors come from all over the country and Australia. It cost over $200 to shoot, the National winner last year (or was it '05) was Dennis DeMille. He came from California. His winnings were a medallion and $50 NRA dollars (to be used in the NRA store or membership renewal). I came in third in my class for the 600 yard Service Rifle class match and got $15 NRA dollars.
Most in the shooting sports just love to compete, and are not in it for the money or they would have been long gone. I hope you make lots of money at it in New England, but for most of us old shooters, we are just having fun.
Ken Orris
Old April 11, 2007, 10:03 PM   #13
otasan

Best of luck running the match, KenO. And remember, every shot is the sound of freedom!
Old May 26, 2007, 05:27 PM   #14
BillOH

I shot this match today and had fun.

My favorite stage was "Whack a Mole" with the pop up targets.

Larry says he wants to do another shoot in October.

Bill
Old May 30, 2007, 11:31 AM   #15
ClydeVA

Any results, Pictures, number of shooters

details, detail, details

I missed it due to the holiday

though me a bone

maybe in Oct (Fingers Crossed)