The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 1, 2005, 05:04 PM   #1
The Terminator

SOCOM 16 for Deer, and Hogs.

I brought home a SOCOM 16 a couple of days ago. I have enjoyed reading many good reviews. I have been a deer hunter long before I became an interested survivalist, I really don't see where much of a difference is.

The point is, I read where a fellow declared that they are not particularly good deer rifles. I don't see how that statement could hold water. Granted, I haven't even shot mine yet, but I read that they are very accurate, and I don't see where one could not harvest a deer, within normal shooting ranges with one.

For me, I think that the SOCOM would be a great tree stand, stalking, (though a bit heavy) and generally a good deer gun. After all, it is the cartridge that does the killing, not the type of rifle that it is fired from. I think that the characterics of the SOCOM make it a good deer gun for me, I will be hunting with it this fall.

I like the more than sturdy build, that will last me for the rest of my life, if I take care of it. What do you think?

Oh, did I mention hogs? "Hawgs" around here. I have some hog trips planed for it as well.
John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)
Old June 1, 2005, 09:38 PM   #2
siotwo

I just checked out the rifle...heck, 308 will do the trick on deer. If you can hit what your aiming at, go for it. It looks like a fun rifle.
Old June 2, 2005, 07:54 AM   #3
itsmike762

I took my full size M-1A whitetail hunting. Worked just fine. A bit on the heavy side, but who cares if your in a tree stand. Stick with ranges you can hit a paper plate 10 out of 10 and make sure your mag. cap is legal in your state. I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume who ever wrote that didn't like evil black rifles.
Old June 2, 2005, 08:35 AM   #4
SR420

TT, go HERE and search for Airbiscut's post on hunting hogs with his M1A's you will also find a thread about hunting deer with the same.
Old June 2, 2005, 09:04 AM   #5
mete

Well ,you could always modify it to 458 SOCOM, that duplicates the 450 Marlin !!
Old June 2, 2005, 09:43 AM   #6
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Ashley Emerson did a review in SWAT April 2004. Given it was Ashley, spilling blood was a requirement.

It'll do the job neatly on the game you mention.
Rich

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SWAT_Excerpt.jpg (33.3 KB, 1406 views)
Old June 2, 2005, 06:06 PM   #7
The Terminator

Thanks for the good replies. I am looking forward to blooding the rifle. I'll check out the links, over a couple of burgers, in a few minutes. Best - Ted
John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)
Old June 4, 2005, 04:43 PM   #8
Mannlicher

I have taken hogs with mine, but not deer.....yet. My SOCOM likes the Federal Classic 150 grain SP. I am sure other loads would work as well.
I found my socom to be on the heavy side, at around 9 pounds. This means, that for my use, its a 'stand gun', not a still hunting or stalking rifle.
I use an EOTech holo sight.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old June 5, 2005, 07:18 AM   #9
bergie

I don't really understand it, but many people have a predjudice against military style semiautos as hunting rifles. For me, the accuracy and the weight of the rifle would be two of the factors to take into consideration. If it shoots where you point it, and doesn't weigh too much to carry all day, then go for it.
Please keep in mind that some states have magazine capacity restrictions on hunting rifles (as also mentioned by itsmike). Somewhat silly I think, here I can use my old SMLE with 10 rounds, but a semiauto is limited to 5 round capacity.
Side Story - A few years back I was doing some work for an older lady in my town. We were doing some remodeling in her basement and when I moved some furniture, I found a soft gun case with something in it. I took it to her, and she said it was her (deceased) husband's old deer rifle, she had forgotton about it being there. She opened the case and pulled out a (Winfield ?) sporterized M41 Johnson. I told her that it was a nice rifle, but would not be legal for deer hunting, here at least, since it held too many cartridges. Offered to buy it, but she thought she should see if any of her children wanted to keep it.

bergie