The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 27, 2013, 05:09 PM   #26
KO3422

Man, glad you're ok. It could've been much worse.
Old February 27, 2013, 06:40 PM   #27
hoho_leung

I also chambered a 9mm to a 40S&W cal gun. But it's ok.. No one can die for such a mistake.
Old February 27, 2013, 09:12 PM   #28
chrissy0022

My husband decided to buy a box of ammo to go shooting with me I wasn't pay attention to what he bought and was reloading my magazine when he tried to fire My HK and it didn't fire i turn around like what the hell see the box and say oh **** put that gun down now.... he bought 9mm Makarov.. he was like well it said 9mm on the side... I was like oh thank you lord that didn't chamber and fire....
Old February 27, 2013, 10:55 PM   #29
745SW

In the distant past when a friend and I were new to reloading I pulled the trigger on my 1911 and no bang. Not really thinking, I cycled the action and was about to fire again when the friend stopped me. The previous round was a squib lodging the bullet in the barrel. The reload was his.

The things learned from this experience is, I need to be more attentive because this can happen with any ammo and some folks just don’t have the knack or acceptable level of mechanical ability to reload.

Today I try to be attentive about possible mishaps yet it can be easily taken for granted. This because my arms of choice are high in reliability and I’ve always have been attentive about the proper charging of my reloads. The friend hasn’t reloaded in years and has no interest in reloading.

It would be appreciated, I believe, if we all posted our mishaps here on TFL whether we survive it or not.
Old February 28, 2013, 02:12 AM   #30
LockedBreech

I'm surprised the chamber of the 1911 is okay. 21k PSI is a lot lower than 35k.
Old February 28, 2013, 02:34 AM   #31
Quadpod88

I'm kinda new to this forum, but i have to wonder. This guy post a sobering and possibly embarrassing reminder that we all can learn from. This could remind us all to always be observant and attentive at the range, but a number of people are going to ridicule him for actually admitting he is human. I don't care how many years of shooting you got mistakes happen. Be glad that he is able to share it, rather then sitting back with the "I'm perfect" attitude.
BTW: Glad you're ok.
Old February 28, 2013, 08:29 AM   #32
ScottRiqui

Quote:
but a number of people are going to ridicule him for actually admitting he is human.
The attitude around here really isn't like that. I started this thread a little over a month ago, so the responses you've seen so far are pretty typical.

Besides, they can't really ridicule me any more than I deserve - I made an inattentive mistake, but fortunately there weren't any dire consequences. I think my new fluorescent ammo box labels will help, along with taking both the gun AND the ammo off the bench when I switch from one gun to another.

Quote:
I'm surprised the chamber of the 1911 is okay. 21k PSI is a lot lower than 35k.
I don't think the chamber was subjected to anything near 35kpsi, just because the .40 case wasn't able to form a good seal against the chamber walls. Also, there was some clearance between the bullet and the barrel, so that provided another path for gases to escape.

If I had overloaded a .45 ACP round to 35kpsi, this story would have probably had a much different (and less pleasant) ending.
Old February 28, 2013, 12:46 PM   #33
TheGoldenState

Scott,

My girlfriend, an avid shooter with me, did the EXACT same thing.

My .40sw rounds into my Springfield TRP Operator FIRST TIME OUT AT THE RANGE WITH IT.

Had to knock it out with a wooden dowel.

HILARIOUSLY enough, when I made a thread about it, I had guys telling me it was impossible (.40 would just fall out) and that I was simply, i guess, making it up.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471237

My casing looked much like yours. In the end, no harm, no foul; lesson learned.

Quote:
It would be appreciated, I believe, if we all posted our mishaps here on TFL whether we survive it or not.
Do some work with the search bar, there's actually many threads on mishaps where people tell-all.