The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Closed Thread

Old April 7, 2012, 09:00 PM   #1
Ruark

Why use [img][/img] for pictures

I'm just wondering... why do almost all forums use the [IMG]<image URL>[/IMG] process for posting images into a message, which requires first uploading it to an online database like Photobucket, instead of just using a browse button and uploading it straight from your computer? The latter is so much quicker and simpler, but you almost never see it.
Old April 7, 2012, 09:14 PM   #2
Justin Appleseed

For those of us who are not home.. Aka The Range, Work, Ect. Simple terms.. iPhone's, Androids, ect. TapaTalk is what I use.. Just like FaceBook or Twitter.. It's simple to use & everyone like easier! & honestly I've never logged into any of my forums from my PC.
Old April 7, 2012, 10:26 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

It reduces the amount of storage space required. Images require a lot of storage space.

You actually can upload pictures to TFL using the "Manage Attachments" feature as described in the thread linked below, but storage is more limited than if you use a third party image hosting site and there are some other restrictions as well.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292842
Old April 7, 2012, 11:34 PM   #4
gunsmokeTPF

When I try to upload I'm told my photo is too large. What do I do about that? This is driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!
Old April 8, 2012, 12:47 AM   #5
Mal H
Staff

gunsmoke - we have to limit the size of uploads to TFL both for storage space reasons and so that our members don't get hit with multi-megabyte images to view.

There are several things you can do to fix the problem:
Take any images you want to upload in a smaller format. All digital cameras give you a choice of image size to use.

You can resize your images with any of several available applications, for example, IrfanView ( irfanview.com ) or Microsoft's Paint.
Old April 8, 2012, 02:37 PM   #6
gunsmokeTPF

Thank you for the advice. I was trying to upload existing pictures, but will need someone at home to assist me. Emails are so much easier to deal with.
Old April 8, 2012, 04:48 PM   #7
varmiter

No disrespect intended for anyone here, but pictures need to be taken IN THE HIGHEST RESOLUTION possible for best results. Depending on the site one wishes to publish a picture, an outside hosting service may still be needed.

I've written up a tutorial on picture handling, both for the internet and printing at:

http://anyguesses.wordpress.com/picture-tips/

Chris
Old April 8, 2012, 08:19 PM   #8
Ruark

is security (e.g. embedded viruses) a factor?

Last edited by Mike Irwin; April 8, 2012 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Pointless snark
Old April 8, 2012, 08:36 PM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
... is security (e.g. embedded viruses) a factor?
A factor in why members can't upload pictures directly to TFL? I already stated that members can do so and provided instructions. Since members CAN upload pictures directly to TFL, it's not possible to provide any meaningful answer to a question that assumes it's not allowed.

Ok, let's start again with your first question.
Quote:
I'm just wondering... why do almost all forums use the [IMG]<image URL>[/IMG] process for posting images into a message, which requires first uploading it to an online database like Photobucket, instead of just using a browse button and uploading it straight from your computer?
Use of the [IMG] tags does not have anything to do with whether or not the use of a third party image hosting site is required or not. TFL uses the IMG tags but still allows direct upload of images (subject to certain size and format constraints).
Quote:
The latter is so much quicker and simpler, but you almost never see it.
You see it here at TFL.
Quote:
but pictures need to be taken IN THE HIGHEST RESOLUTION possible for best results
For properly sized images, that don't need to provide zoom/enlargement capability, 150dpi is more than sufficient. Higher resolution than that is necessary if you wish to provide hardcopy prints or zoom/enlargment, but for simple display, anything more than that is overkill.