The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 29, 2011, 12:53 PM   #1
doofus47

Usual Basic Question x 2 (SBR and FA)

I would like to buy a vz 58 build kit and decided to build it up with the stock barrel (15.8") and parts (selective fire).
Would I need one SBR stamp or two stamps (SBR/Full-Auto)

And the serial numbers on the aftermarket US-made receiver would be different. So the order of business seems to be:
1) buy a receiver
2) apply for gov't approval(s)
3) buy the other parts after 2 is done.

Thoughts? thanks
Old August 29, 2011, 02:16 PM   #2
WoofersInc

Unless you have the correct manufacturing liscense you cannot build a full auto. No new ones since 1986 unless you are a dealer or government agency.

Now, as a dealer, it would only be 1 stamp as the full auto covers any other configurations. So it can be short barrelled also without the extra stamp.
Old August 29, 2011, 02:28 PM   #3
mboylan

Yeah. You are looking at 10 years in Federal prison if you build a full auto.
Old August 29, 2011, 02:55 PM   #4
doofus47

Short and concise. Thanks for the answer.
I wondered why more people didn't do it, if it were only a matter of a few dollars more.
I guess I'll think of another project.
Thanks,

d47
Old September 3, 2011, 12:09 AM   #5
chasep255

Where does it say the FA covers other configuration in the law? I'm asking this since if that is just an ATF ruling then maybe one could argue than an SBR could be made FA.
Old September 3, 2011, 08:42 AM   #6
rjrivero

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasep255
Where does it say the FA covers other configuration in the law? I'm asking this since if that is just an ATF ruling then maybe one could argue than an SBR could be made FA.
Start with the National Firearms Act of 1934. Then the Gun Control Act of 1968. Then the Firearm Owner's Protection act of 1986.

A machine gun is clearly defined in the GCA of 1968. Any weapon that fires more than one round with a single action of the trigger is a machine gun. So you would have to register it in the NFA Registry. IF it is a machine gun, it doesn't matter if it's a 20" barrel or a 6" barrel. It's STILL a machine gun. It doesn't matter if it has a stock, or not. IT's STILL a machine gun. It doesn't matter if it has a foregrip or not. It's a MACHINE GUN. Once it's a machine gun, you can make it ANY configuration you please.

Definitions of a SBR or SBS are a single shot rifle or shotgun that shoot only one shot per action of the trigger. The barrels are shorter than the perscribed 16" for a rifle or 18" for a shotgun. That's it. Pretty simple.

The Firearm Owner's Protection Act of 1986 is the one that prohibits manufacture and sale of new machine guns.

Pull the trigger and fire more than one shot = Club Fed for 10 years.

Last edited by rjrivero; September 3, 2011 at 08:51 AM.