The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 8, 2005, 07:29 PM   #1
Bonstrosity

why O/U?

I was just kind of wondering if there was an advantage to shooting an over under as opposed to a semi auto or a pump besides the fact that there can be 2 chokes? I'm a semi auto guy and just haven't really shot an o/u. I don't have anything against them at all just wondering if there are advantages.
Old December 8, 2005, 07:44 PM   #2
Jart

Easier to clean.
Old December 8, 2005, 08:01 PM   #3
johnbt

Shorter overall gun length (and probably better balance and handling.) The O/U and SxS guns don't have that 3+ inches of extra receiver and moving parts making the gun longer and heavier. Let me see if I can find a picture...

Here are two guns with 28" barrels - a Guerini 28ga. Woodlander and a Remington Express Magnum.

Old December 8, 2005, 09:20 PM   #4
Bonstrosity

I see, thanks for the replies, I understand the better ballence too. good thing to know
Old December 8, 2005, 10:35 PM   #5
roy reali

Another Point

A break open type shotgun is easier to render safe. When one is open, even if there are rounds in the chambers, the shotgun will not fire. It is also easier to see if they are loaded. Open a side-by-side or an over & under and the answer is obvious.
Old December 9, 2005, 07:46 AM   #6
OkieCruffler

To me, a twin barrel (SXS, no goofy looking O/Uers for this boy) just swings smoother and more natural with that weight forward.
Old December 9, 2005, 08:59 AM   #7
K80Geoff

They just feel better

There is something about having only one or two shots to get the job done. Rather than shooting up the place with a repeater. They encourage technique and marksmanship. And good sportsmanship.

And they are one of the last vestiges of workmanship you can buy. They are guns built by craftsmen, not machine operators.
Old December 9, 2005, 09:20 AM   #8
Bowtier

Quote:
And they are one of the last vestiges of workmanship you can buy. They are guns built by craftsmen, not machine operators.
Is this why they are sold for outrageous prices??

I have shot an O/U a few times & while it was nice, I just don't understand why they start out costing as much as an AR or a Socom or many outhers that I just consider A LOT more gun.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, just curious.
Old December 9, 2005, 10:53 AM   #9
chilly460

I just wrestled with this question as I was making my first shotgun purchase.

I have inherited a 20ga Ithaca 500 O/U and an older 870 Wingmaster...but wanted to increase my choices.

I went into the store with an open mind, having shot quite a few O/U's, autos, and pumps the previous weekend.

After coming very close to buying a Benelli M2 26"...I decided to go home and sleep on it. Next day, test drive a few o/u's and the realization became that (for me) just about any o/u feels much more "agile" and easy to the shoulder then a premium auto. I will be doing quite a bit of upland bird hunting, so this became my focus. Don't get me wrong, the M2 felt absolutely great....I don't want to give the impression that it's not a quality gun.

So, I picked up a Benelli Nova to satisfy the ability for waterfowl and turkey...and purchased a nice used Ruger Red Label 12ga. The two were about the same total price as the M2. It was a very tough decision, but what seemed best to me at the time.

I fully intend to save for a Benelli M1 or Browning Gold Evolve 20ga in the future as a first auto.
Old December 9, 2005, 10:59 AM   #10
n3twrkm4n

I like the styling, the simplicity and the ease at which they are cleaned. I also love the antiquity that they have as well.

I want a nice one but can't quite afford a decent O/U, I wrestled with the idea of buying a Stoeger but I've heard not so good things about them, but ever since Remington has those Spartan Gun Works (Russian) guns I might pick one of them up.

I also am a fan of the side by sides, although for me it's harder to shoot skeet with them than the O/U. Just a personal thing I guess.
Old December 9, 2005, 11:35 AM   #11
Tacoma

Agree with all said. I also preffer the feel and mechanics of a O/U. Having said that, I have traditionally shot my best with a Berretta 391Semi Auto. The Semi-Auto advantage is less recoil ,usually lower cost and (if it matters) larger capacity.
Old December 9, 2005, 12:17 PM   #12
cobra81

Bowtier,

You get what you pay for. O/U's are not ALL high-priced. I have a Browning Citori that for me at least, was what I call expensive. I also have a Stoeger Condor that cost less than most decent autoloaders ($300). The difference is in the fit and finish. I enjoy shooting both of them. I've never owned a semi auto, but I would like to have one someday. I've just always heard they are more trouble to keep clean and maintain, but this wouldn't stop me from owning one. The way I see it, it's all about choices, and in my case, financial limitations!

There are as many different buying motivators as there are people. I looked at all types of shotguns before purchasing my O/U's. For me, the balance of the O/U, the classic styling, the simplicity of the action, and prior experience shooting them swayed me to go that route.

The O/U market has a huge spread in price from low-end to high-end.

From what I found, the Stoeger has models that represent the lower end of the O/U market, from $300 to about $600.

Remington's Spartan line seems to be the middle of the market, from around $500-$800. Seems like I also saw other O/U's for less than $1000, maybe Franchi if I remember correctly. Used Brownings, Berettas, and Rugers can be found in this category as well.

From there, it's the Berettas, Brownings, and etc. from $1400 to infinity. Last I heard, Purdy will still custom-build you a double gun that exceeds the value of many people's homes.

Regarding my O/U's, from a practical standpoint, they will both break clays or kill birds. However, there are times when the superior workmanship of the Citori just appeals to me. I like the fact that the tolerances are so tight, indicating the care taken by the craftsmen who built it. The fact that Browning sells so many of these is evidence that there are lots of people who are willing to pay for whatever they consider to be important enough to justify the additional cost.

In short, when the perceived VALUE of a product exceeds the price, folks will turn loose of their money. What makes it even more interesting is the fact that different people have different perceptions of what constitutes value. To some people, image is the dominant motivator; showing up at the trap club with a beautiful, expensive double gun makes them feel good.

Some folks are practical to the point that they would never even consider spending $2000 on a shotgun when a $300 gun will accomplish the same result, ie; busting clays or bringing down a pheasant, even if money was no object. Nothing wrong with that; I feel that way myself at times. There are times when I shoot the Condor and feel good about the decision I made to satisfy the practical side of my personality. I think it was a great value for $300.

Handle and shoot a couple O/U's and see what you think.
Old December 9, 2005, 12:59 PM   #13
dakotashooter2

Less moving parts to deal with.. ease of takedown for cleaning..shorter OAL..choice of chokes and /or loads.. can shoot light or heavy loads without adjustment..fast reloading

One of the reasons for cost is the extra labor it takes to regulate the barrels. You don't just toss them together and both barrels hit the same place.
Old December 9, 2005, 01:03 PM   #14
oletymer

Over unders cost more because of the increase in labor and materials to build them. A good one will last longer than a AR or Socom without needing repair.
Old December 9, 2005, 01:34 PM   #15
swmike

Funny question

Why over and under versus side X side? This question used to come up all the time at the range. Some asked "If God wanted man to shoot an O/U he would have put our eyes one over the other"

I was one of a small number that shot S x S at the time so I was taking Cr@p all the time.

I eventually bought an O/U because I could get faster 2nd shots and my old S x S got so loose I was getting my eyebrows burned off

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old December 9, 2005, 02:09 PM   #16
Bowtier

Thanks

for the explanation cobra, and a good one at that.

Quote:
Some folks are practical to the point that they would never even consider spending $2000 on a shotgun when a $300 gun will accomplish the same result
That's me.

I did like the one I shot, I think he said it was a Tikka? I shot it maybe 20 times out of 100 (sporting clays) & I dare say I did better with it than my 870.
So that's what piqued my curiosity. I did not realize there was a lower end to the market, that gives me something to consider. I wouldn't use it much and that's why I could not see sinking that much into it right now. But I do have something else to put on my list

As for the socom & ar I was just using those as a price comparison, I don't have either of the either........YET
Old December 9, 2005, 03:32 PM   #17
OkieCruffler

One thing that ups the price on the doubles is the fact that it's not as easy as just throwing 2 tubes together. Most people want both barrrels to shoot somewhere near each other. That takes some engineering.
Old December 12, 2005, 07:24 PM   #18
Tacoma

Quote:
Why over and under versus side X side? This question used to come up all the time at the range. Some asked "If God wanted man to shoot an O/U he would have put our eyes one over the other"
I was taught to hunt (bunnies and tree rats) with my uncles collection of side by sides. Could never hit water from a boat with one. Almost gave up , then tried days old $50 pump. Immediatly became pretty deadly. Something about having those two barrels in front of me messes up my natural aiming tendencies. Unc, on the other hand, give's em "what for" when he brings his old stevens SXS to the clays range ! Me , I stick to O/U or single tubes.