The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 1, 2002, 08:18 PM   #1
riflemanZ

Which is the best hand held primer tool?

I"m tired of my rcbs built in primer tool for seating primers,just not enough feel.I"m looking to buy either the Lee auto prime or the rcbs hand held primer tool.Which one do you guys prefer?The lee is only $9.99 vs rcbs $24.99
Old March 1, 2002, 08:40 PM   #2
coonan357

I have the Rcbs hand primer its ok, the lee one you use your thumb instead of squeezing it the whole thing like the rcbs , When my hands started to bother me and I started to reload more often I went to the lee autoprime II it's $20 and mounts ontop of your press , and uses standard shell holders , alot faster and you dont get hand cramps (yeowww!!!) Was thinking about the aps from rcbs but too much money .

You can't argue with a .357 Mag.
Well, you can try, but you'll end up bleeding an aweful lot. -GEORGE HILL 4-08-2002

My Coonan is Not For Sale please do not ask!
Old March 1, 2002, 10:40 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've only used the Lee handheld. Cheesy looking thing, but it works.

For lengthy sessions of priming, I've found the least fatigue by squeezing the lever with both thumbs.

Art
Old March 1, 2002, 11:33 PM   #4
Archie

I have a Lee.

I like it, but would prefer it were made of real metal.

Then again, it would be more than $10.........

Sinclair makes a really nice seater, but it's a single primer type, and a bit spendy.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old March 2, 2002, 02:42 AM   #5
Bill Adair

Can't beat the Lee Autoprime for value.

I have three, one for small primers, one for large primers, and one new one just because they were on sale!

The first is twenty-six years old, and is still going strong!

Buy the boxed shell holder assortment if your reloading more than one caliber. It's less than $15, and will handle almost every commonly reloaded caliber.

They tell me that the Lee Autoprimes wear out too soon? At the rate mine are going, my grandkids won't have anyone to complain to!

Bill
Old March 2, 2002, 05:51 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

MY ACTUAL EXPERIENCE

The RCBS (have two) is withstanding my production needs.

My Lee tools (had two) both broke.

I prefer the durability and safety of the RCBS. Recommend.
Old March 2, 2002, 09:36 AM   #7
DaHaMac

I have used both the Lee Handprimer and RCBS Handprimer.

IMO the RCBS is much more comfortable in the way it fits my hand and the ease with which it sits the primers.

I agree with Art that it was more comfortable to use both thumbs on the Lee, which in turns slows down the process for me.

The RCBS is more expensive but it does feel alot stronger than the Lee. However, my friend who owns the Lee has loaded thousands of rounds with no problems.

Me, I plan on buying another RCBS so I can have one for small primers and one for Large Primers, and another Lee Universal Shellholder set, so I have one set of shellholders for the primer and one set for the press.

Happy Priming
Old March 2, 2002, 04:54 PM   #8
sebago

I've had both the Lee and the RCBS and my experience matches WESHOOT2's. On my Lee, the flange that holds the shellholder in place cracked along one side turning it into worthless junk. Since I figured a new one would eventually break in the same manner I replaced it with the then new RCBS design. This was about 10 years ago and it's never given me any trouble. Definitely recommend the RCBS. They have great customer service too, BTW.
Old March 2, 2002, 11:03 PM   #9
Swamp Yankee

I'm thinking about the Hornady or updating to the RCBS APS system. Would appreciate any comments on the RCBS strip system, good or bad.
Haven't made a purchase yet because my Lee Auto Prime is like the Energizer Bunny, it just keeps going and going and ........
Take Care
Old March 31, 2002, 12:02 PM   #10
ICryoman

I own the Hornady and like it in principle but think it is flawed. When using small primers, there is just enough "free space" between the primer tray exit ramp and the body of the press cylinder to allow primers to flip over sideways. The result is having to then remove the primer tray to clear the jam. Do this a few times per 50 primers and you'll be ready to pull out your hair. I use the Hornady only for large primers as they don't as readily flip over at the entrance to the press cylinder (ram). I think the RCBS is more user friendly overall than the Hornady. Cheers, Cryoman
Old March 31, 2002, 03:16 PM   #11
Tol

I don't know which is best!

I've only used one. That is my RCBS Hand Primer. It has some quirks but overall is quite convenient. I am able to comfortably sit down and prime a few hundred pieces of brass while watching a movie.

In all fairness, I bought this before ever trying the priming system on my Rock Chucker. The Hand Primer has accounted for every single piece of brass I'ver ever primed.

I think mine was $19.99 @ Midway USA
Old March 31, 2002, 03:52 PM   #12
riflemanZ

I bought the rcbs primer tool and i really like it.Easy to use.Thanks guys for the info!