The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 24, 2013, 10:04 AM   #26
10851Man

I like the Pedersoli brass adjustable measure. My Great Grandad told me to load up a rifle until it shredded the patch, then back down the charge until the recovered patch was intact.

On a pistol, Great Grandad said, "The cylinder won't hold more black powder than the gun can handle, so just fill it and shoot..."

I shot my 1858 Remington that way for 20 years with BP and never had an issue with excellent accuracy.

Pietta recommends 22 grains BP maximum on my new '62 Police, so I was thinking 15 grains of Triple 7 FFFg would be a good place to start....Thoughts????
Old January 24, 2013, 11:24 AM   #27
Tom Matiska

I've understood that it is most critical to use volume when reloading cartridges with traditional BP? A 45-70 or 44-40 with less than 70 or 40 grains of volume in it means loose charge moving around..... static happens....

As far as basic ML, I just don't think it matters enough to justify carrying a scale into the woods.
Old January 24, 2013, 01:51 PM   #28
pnolans

Sounds like that is reasonable. But as a new guy, I'm measuring stuff first at my reloading bench before I go out to the National Forest. Hence my question.

I've been out shooting my new ML rifles twice.

Thanks to all of the interesting suggestions here, I now have a firmer idea of how much to measure and how to do it. Also, how to store pre-measured powder for "the field".

I would not be likely to be carrying a scale in my pack in the woods.
Old January 24, 2013, 06:00 PM   #29
armedandsafe

This is from my maternal grandfather. Now, mind you, I'm 72+++ years old, so this goes back to when BP arms were the common arm.

Hold you hand out, palm up. Don't force you hand "stiff-flat" and don't cup it. Just relaxed flat.

Place the ball in your palm. Carefully pour powder over the ball until it is just covered. Pick out the ball and pour the powder into your measure. Adjust your measure to just full. This is your standard load for that ball.

Now, to work up the maximum load for that gun:

Lay a white sheet out in front of you. Shoot a round. Inspect the sheet. Then increase the load by about 5 grains volume. Shoot that round. Inspect the sheet. Repeat this until you see unburned powder on the sheet. Decrease your load by 5 grains volume and call that your maximum load.

The hardest part of this task is getting that sheet past Grandma without her noticing how dirty it is.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old January 24, 2013, 07:19 PM   #30
B.L.E.

I let the target tell me what's the optimum load.
Old January 24, 2013, 07:44 PM   #31
Hawg

There is a point of decreasing returns but just because you're getting unburned powder is no reason to decrease a charge.
Old January 24, 2013, 07:49 PM   #32
10851Man

Accuracy will suffer at elevated velocities as well..FWIW
Old January 24, 2013, 08:16 PM   #33
Hawg

Not necessarily. My 44 revolvers shoot well with 30-35 grains. A rifle has two sweet spots. My .54 likes 90 grains but then accuracy falls off til it gets to 120 grains.
Old January 24, 2013, 08:27 PM   #34
kwhi43

You would really be surprise at the charges in rifles they shoot at Friendship.
I would tell you but you wouldn't believe me.
Old January 24, 2013, 09:26 PM   #35
Hawg

Probably 25 or 30.
Old January 25, 2013, 09:54 AM   #36
Rifleman1776

Quote:
There are problems in using a scale to measure black powder at home. Not the least of which is the possibility of a static electric spark setting it off.
Completely incorrect.
BP can be weighed and often is. The standard measures do give an approximation of stated weights and are used for convenience.
Static sparks will not set off bp. Proven time and again in scientific controlled tests.
Old January 25, 2013, 11:48 AM   #37
Pahoo

Still take care !!

Quote:
Static sparks will not set off bp. Proven time and again in scientific controlled tests.
True, as they are small and clean but a small dirty ignition, will. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old January 27, 2013, 12:13 PM   #38
recon14

Shooting BP in my flinter is by volume. When loading into cartridges its by weight. Remeber that the amount of bang you get for a charge depends on what powder your using and it's grain size (FF vs FFF). My .50 loves 70 gr of FFF but to get the same POI using FF I need to up it to 80. The FF is larger grains and burns slower then the FFF. When using real BP a good place to start with a rifle is to use the volume equal to the caliber and go from there. I found my .25 flint shoots ok with 25 grains but great at 30. Take the time at the range to see what yours likes...that is half the fun.

sent from my S III using TapaTalk
Old March 24, 2013, 09:11 PM   #39
ZVP

With my 2 remmies I tried several loads and found that each likes it very different.
My best and most accurate load is 35 gr in each revolver but where tou load it is the trick! My 5 1/2" likes filler to keep the ball within 33/8" of the forcing cone, My 8" dosen;t like qny filler and likes a deep set ball for accuracy.
They truely are different, every one of em!
I also tried a cartrige cylinder in the 8" and found it liked the Russian cartrige best for accuracy! Sure felt like a good shot too!
ZVP
Old March 25, 2013, 09:41 PM   #40
Boomer58cal

yep. I've been using a brass adjustable measure for 27 years. I also found I can use a 20ga shell holder on my stock for my .58 and .62 cal speed loaders. Magnum rifle holders work great for my .32/.36's. Great for practicing rapid fire( rapid fire ). I will admit I've never needed one hunting though.

Tags
grain , measuring blackpowder , new guy , volume