The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 4, 2012, 03:12 AM   #1
540EdgeFlyer

To trade, or not to trade?

I just recently picked up a Sig 1911-22. A friend at work fell in love with it, and wants to trade me straight up for his brand new never fired Walther PPS. The Walther is a couple hundred dollars more new, but I don't really like the feel of the gun. Plus, I really like my .22.

I can't help thinking though that I should make the trade simply because of the value difference.....

What would you do?
Old December 4, 2012, 03:35 AM   #2
willmc33

I would definately do it the PPS is a good pistol. It will be easier to replace the .22 then to purchase a new PPS. If you dont find it grows on you or dont have a need for it you can always put it back out there. Good trade IMO.
Old December 4, 2012, 04:48 AM   #3
bonefamily

If it doesn't feel good in your hand, it may be a sign...
Old December 4, 2012, 07:47 AM   #4
MonsterB

Not all guns feel great at first, so after shooting the pps you may find you like it. I hear nothing but praise for that gun. I would definitely try to shoot and then decide.
Old December 4, 2012, 07:54 AM   #5
loose_holster_dan

trade it!
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old December 4, 2012, 09:11 AM   #6
Hal

Quote:
Plus, I really like my .22.
There you go...no reason to go any further.
Tell your friend thanks, but, no thanks.

Even though the Walther runs more new, there's no guarentee you'll be able to get that much more if you turn around and sell it.

Even if you do get that much, how much will it cost to replace the .22?
Can you find another one used?
Will the used one you find be as good as the one you have?
How long will you have to search for a used one at the right price?
If you find a used one at the right price, will it have other fees (FFL trasnfer/shipping, etc) attached to it?
What if you can't find one used and have to resort to buying new?

Objectivly, there's no reason to make the trade w/out looking into what it will take to replace something "you like".
You giving up a known for an unknown & something you like for something you admit, you don't like.
Old December 4, 2012, 09:15 AM   #7
Sixer

trade it!!

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old December 4, 2012, 10:50 AM   #8
TunnelRat

You mention in the other thread that you love the little thing. Why trade a firearm you are perfectly happy with, and seems to function well, for one you aren't sure about liking or how it functions? If you're really interested in the PPS tell him you'd rather save up the money to buy it from him without a trade, or simply no thanks.
Maintain situational awareness
Old December 4, 2012, 11:59 AM   #9
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
but I don't really like the feel of the gun
Then don't trade it.

Quote:
You mention in the other thread that you love the little thing. Why trade a firearm you are perfectly happy with, and seems to function well, for one you aren't sure about liking or how it functions? If you're really interested in the PPS tell him you'd rather save up the money to buy it from him without a trade, or simply no thanks.
Perfect reasoning. No need to trade it. You will regret it. You love it, he loves it, why would you get rid of it for something you don't like? Don't try and be the good guy. "No thanks" is perfectly fine.

I wouldn't do it.
Old December 4, 2012, 12:03 PM   #10
Fishbed77

Quote:
A friend at work fell in love with it, and wants to trade me straight up for his brand new never fired Walther PPS.
That's a no-brainer of a trade.

My only concern would be the feeling that I'm ripping my friend off. The PPS is a superb pistol that retails for $650-700 new. By comparision, you can buy a new GSG-1911 (exact same gun as SIG 1911-22, with different markings) for under $300:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...5-in-wdgp.html
Old December 4, 2012, 04:02 PM   #11
dajowi

If you don't like the feel of the gun now, just think how aggravating it will be when the gun is yours. I've been there
Old December 4, 2012, 04:16 PM   #12
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
My only concern would be the feeling that I'm ripping my friend off. The PPS is a superb pistol that retails for $650-700 new. By comparision, you can buy a new GSG-1911 (exact same gun as SIG 1911-22, with different markings) for under $300:
What he said. Just how "close" is this friendship? I'd be tempted to do it, if he's aware of the value differences, and you made it clear that you weren't willing to pony up any extra money. If he's happy with that, you could always sell the PPS later if you can't come to terms with it , and get another (or even better) .22... Guns are fungible.

If you don't want to take advantage, you could suggest to your friend that he sell his gun and buy his own GSG or SIG .22 and have some money to spare.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; December 4, 2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old December 6, 2012, 05:48 AM   #13
540EdgeFlyer

Thanks for the replies guys. In the end, I realize I don't want to trade a gun that I love, for one that I don't even like. Regardless of value.
Old December 6, 2012, 06:12 AM   #14
JimmyR

Good plan

I think you made the right call. Just because something has a higher dollar value doesn't necesarily it is the gun you want or need.
Old December 6, 2012, 08:03 AM   #15
Mystro

My Walther PPQ is the best 9mm pistol I have ever owned at ant price...Yea, its that good.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"