The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 28, 2010, 06:20 PM   #26
Hardcase

MLeake, I figured that the ball on the one end and the cap on the other served to keep the water out, at least for the one chamber. For the sake of drama, I guess that she was that lucky.

Regarding language, I'm going to scan a few letters this week and post them in a new thread. Some of you may like to get a little flavor of the language (and topics) of the time.
Old December 28, 2010, 07:52 PM   #27
Hawg

She got the one shot off before the water got to the powder. I have writing examples from the family back to the late 1700's. Writing was eloquent Victorian script. Spelling for the most part was correct for the times(spelling has changed). Language was flowery. maybe I am somewhat influenced by Hollyweird but it still sounded funny.
Old December 28, 2010, 08:09 PM   #28
youngunz4life

I saw the movie. I liked it a lot. The movie made me think which is always a good thing in my book, and I think I need to see it again sometime to catch everything. Maybe it just brought back memories of the first version I saw as a child. I had been worried about Maddie's(spelling?) role as in the actress, but I thought she did a good job. Only difference in the movies I Can Remember was the very, very last part..........but who knows - maybe that was "Rooster Cogburn", the sequel with katherine hepburn I was thinking of....

ps- who knows, maybe jeff bridges demanded the eyepatch the way it was. It could happen that way, as in I believe it to be still realistic. Now can a 19th century revolver get soaking wet and still be fireable? Honestly I don't know, but the thought crossed my mind in the movie.

pps- some movies just have a special place in one's heart (this parentheses bit is my wife: :barf. Lol! I know some people can't do 'reruns' because they are against the nature of it ( sort of like if 'jaws' was redone), but I recommend the movie!! Happy New Year
Old December 28, 2010, 08:11 PM   #29
vico512

I figured the same thing about the Navy Colt -- she was able to get off at least one shot before the water leaked-in around the nipple. I used to have an 1851 Navy .36 cal (replica). Amazingly inaccurate! After charging, I filled the cylinders with Crisco, to keep from getting crossover ignition.

Just saw the movie today & thought it was much better filmed and acted than the original. Sets were very authentic, such as the black oaks in Texas. The Santa Fe settings also seemed to fit the original story pretty well. Seeing the movie from Maddie's perspective stayed much truer to the book.
Old December 28, 2010, 08:14 PM   #30
Hawg

Quote:
I figured the same thing about the Navy Colt
It wasn't a Navy it was a Dragoon.
Old December 28, 2010, 08:46 PM   #31
MLeake

As Hawg Haggen noted...

.... Mattie had a Dragoon.

Rooster had a pair of Navy Colts in his saddle holsters.

But I wasn't thinking about the scene where Mattie fires the Dragoon, as far as the chambers getting wet. I was thinking about her fording the river, earlier. All her chambers should have been soaked, no?
Old December 29, 2010, 06:27 AM   #32
Hawg

That was days earlier. A movie cant show everything altho it would have been a nice touch to see Rooster cleaning and reloading it for her.
Old December 29, 2010, 09:19 AM   #33
MLeake

I understand your point, Hawg, but since nobody had even taught her to cock the hammer, I find it unlikely anybody taught her about dry powder.
Old December 29, 2010, 09:28 AM   #34
Hawg

Quote:
I understand your point, Hawg, but since nobody had even taught her to cock the hammer, I find it unlikely anybody taught her about dry powder.
Read my post again.

Quote:
it would have been a nice touch to see Rooster cleaning and reloading it for her.
Old December 29, 2010, 09:32 AM   #35
mikecu

With this kind of feed back, I gotta go see it.
Old December 29, 2010, 01:51 PM   #36
youngunz4life

MIKECU

keep a bodycount(as in dead bodies), and keep tabs on the "Dr". you're not gonna see or hear from him much so I am not ruining anything for you but was the Dr the same dr or a different dr(you'll understand when you see it)
Old December 29, 2010, 03:57 PM   #37
twhidd

Quote:
was the Dr the same dr or a different dr
I wondered the same thing. I figured it had to have been.
Old December 29, 2010, 04:01 PM   #38
napp

The same question about the doctor ran through my mind. The movie doesn't answer the question. Haven't read the book; so I can't say if the answer is there or not.
Old December 30, 2010, 01:40 AM   #39
Model-P

I finally got to see it and can understand some of the comments.

I did~not find the grammar unreasonable for the period, but the lack of contractions (as I~am purposely trying to mimic here in this post ~) really struck me from about the kidnapping scene onward. It goes over all right in writing, but seems a bit strained and awkward in speech. Did they actually talk that way then?

I~would see it again in a while, but do~not feel the desire to see it over and over. I think it~is a pretty good movie, but not great. $5 and a couple hours well spent on a rainy day. JMO.

I saw it before the "Dr" posts were made here. What is that all about? I don't....errr, I mean.....do~not get it.
Old December 30, 2010, 03:53 AM   #40
Hawg

I think what they're referring to with the Dr. is the guy that bought the dead body from the Indian claimed to be a Dr. Then after Mattie was snake bit Rooster set out to take her to a Dr. but it never showed him getting her there. Was it the same Dr. or a town Dr.? I think they were too far from any town so to my way of thinking it had to be him.
Old December 30, 2010, 05:19 AM   #41
Model-P

Ah, thankyou. I don't know about anyone else, but I found that character particularly disturbing!

One thing that didn't make sense to me was the shooting of the horse near the end. I understand that it is possible to run a horse to death, but that horse was exhausted, not dead yet. I didn't see that she was lame, and it appeared she should have pulled through after a period of rest. Seemed "Hollywood" to me.

I did appreciate the attention to period details. Even Rooster's saddle was period correct with its high cantle and Sam Stagg rigging.
Old December 30, 2010, 05:54 AM   #42
Hawg

Quote:
One thing that didn't make sense to me was the shooting of the horse near the end. I understand that it is possible to run a horse to death, but that horse was exhausted, not dead yet. I didn't see that she was lame, and it appeared she should have pulled through after a period of rest. Seemed "Hollywood" to me.
The horse was near death. He did it a favor by shooting it.
Old December 30, 2010, 01:06 PM   #43
Model-P

Quote:
The horse was near death. He did it a favor by shooting it.
I understood that was the idea. Then, after he shot the horse and had to carry Mattie until he could no longer walk himself, I thought when he pulled his gun out of his holster he was going to shoot himself too.

O.K. After some research I find that a completely exhausted horse can die "if not treated". I didn't know that. I always thought shooting a horse was only reserved for a lamed horse. Thanks again, Hawg.

Last edited by Model-P; December 30, 2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old December 30, 2010, 01:58 PM   #44
youngunz4life

also Hawg - when Rooster made his charge: "Fill your hands you son of a bitch." - I thought he said something to the Dr right before that while talking and then subsequently this same character held his saddle and took some cover by riding on his horse's side. To my knowledge he was the only character who survived in the entire movie after being on opposite sides of Rooster. I do not think he was the dentist with the bearskin but thats why I brought it up; I had sort of figured the Dr was there tending to whatever injuries the outlaws had, but I wasn't sure. It was hard to catch everything with only one viewing.

ps-I liked your point about the cleaning of the weapon. We do not know what transpired except in the footage we the audience could view.
Old December 30, 2010, 03:55 PM   #45
Hawg

I guess I overlooked that part.
Old December 30, 2010, 04:30 PM   #46
PawPaw

Going to see it in about an hour. I hope it lives up to the hype.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old December 30, 2010, 04:38 PM   #47
youngunz4life

have a good time pawpaw. check back in with us on this thread if you get a chance. you know how hype goes though:

my dad told my uncle that "Citizen Kane" was the best movie ever(mainly due to how it was listed by film experts as the best more than once // I always thought "Casablanca" should take out "Citizen Cane" but "Citizen Kane" was monumental at the time). anyways, my uncle was so hyped up to see this one yr as a family: my mom, aunt, uncle, and dad. well at the end my uncle was still waiting for the part of the movie to take off so he could understand why it was the best movie ever. the hype killed it for him
Old December 30, 2010, 04:56 PM   #48
Hawg

It's a good movie. If you liked the original and you're not put off by a John Wayne remake you'll enjoy it. The speech is kinda weird tho.
Old December 30, 2010, 06:02 PM   #49
Zhillsauditor

Quote:
A movie cant show everything altho it would have been a nice touch to see Rooster cleaning and reloading it for her.
In the book, the gun misfired on the chamber that Rooster (drunk) had reloaded after he shot a rat with it, back in town. That scene was in the first movie, but not this new one.
Old December 30, 2010, 07:25 PM   #50
Hardy

Jeez--gonna go see this tomorrow! After looking at all these posts I will have to say that I also have letters from Antebellum that are written very eloquently with proper English from enlisted Confederate soldiers writing home from Richmond and Petersburg. I posted these letters on an old thread about a year ago but don't remember what topic.

Not tryin to be a medicine show salesman, but I do have great buys on 1851 navy 36 steel/with spare cylinder email [email protected] I have back ordered Uberti dragoons.

WBHARDY

Tags
guns , rifle