The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 12, 2013, 11:18 AM   #1
jtyson

Anyone ever lost their UPIN?

Was on vacation in Colorado and managed to lose my wallet. I had my UPIN written down on a business card along with some other important numbers. I just called the FBI to report it lost, but I am curious what will happen now.

Will I be forced to go through the whole process of waiting again for a new one? Or will they just issue me a new one once they take a look at my file?

Just curious what I can expect. I can't be the only person that this has ever happened to so I thought I would come on here and get some answers.
Old March 12, 2013, 01:13 PM   #2
BarryLee

UPIN – Universal Personal Identification Number

I believe it was set up for folks that have problems passing an NICS background check, but do not really have an issue that prohibits buying a firearm. With the UPIN you include it on the form 4473 to avoid denials.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old March 12, 2013, 05:12 PM   #3
jtyson

That is correct. Due to some background issues, I would get denied. So I had to file a voluntary appeal and apply for a UPIN. That way now when I go in to buy a gun, they can see that they don't need to deny me for what has already been resolved. No call back from the feds. Guess I will call again tomorrow.
Old March 14, 2013, 05:53 AM   #4
ROCK6

I was just dealing with an issue on a background check for my FL CHL and contacted NICS. I'm in the VAF program and have a UPIN and during the long call menu, they specifically mentioned in you lost your UPIN or your letter with the UPIN on it. I think you can just have them send you a new letter, but not sure if they will change the UPIN or not. Definitely call as it must be somewhat common if it's on the selection menu... Good luck and let us know how it turns out. I've since typed up some passwords and put my UPIN on it and it's in the gun safe as I've done the same thing and just put in on the back of my CHL with a sticky

ROCK6
Old March 14, 2013, 08:17 PM   #5
jtyson

I still have my letter and know my UPIN. I just know that on the website it says to contact them immediately if it is lost or stolen. I called and left a voicemail and I guess I am supposed to get a call back. Guess we will see.

If I don't get a call back, next gun purchase I am still going to use my UPIN unless they have contacted me. We will see what happens.
Old March 15, 2013, 04:27 PM   #6
Skans

I used a sharpie to write my UPIN on the back of my CC permit (just a number, not any info what it is for). I'm not sure why the OP thought he had to report this to the FBI. The UPIN is just an additional identifier associated with your name. It's not like someone can use it to purchase a firearm unless they look just like you and have a driver's license with the rest of your information on it. Most folks wouldn't even have a clue what it is for, including some FFL's.
Old March 15, 2013, 04:29 PM   #7
MercyfulFate

I need to get one, I get delayed with every purchase for 3 full days.

Owner of: S&W Model 10-5, Beretta 92fs and a Mossberg Maverick 88 "Security" Shotgun
Old March 15, 2013, 08:02 PM   #8
jtyson

I reported it lost because that is what it says to do on the website. Here is the link. Its in the FAQs

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nic...sked-questions
Old March 21, 2013, 02:07 AM   #9
jtyson

Never received a call back like the machine said I would, but today I received a letter with my UPIN on it. Not a new one, but my old one. So I guess that means they won't be changing it. Just thought I would update in case anyone else ever runs into this same problem
Old March 22, 2013, 09:01 AM   #10
shafter

I've heard of people listing it as a contact in their phone.
Old February 4, 2021, 10:45 AM   #11
Atlatlien

TL,DR: Call a shop where you've previously done a transfer and they may be able to tell you your UPIN.

Resurrecting this old thread because I also had misplaced my UPIN, which I only had discovered because I won an auction on Gunbroker.

After googling "lost upin", I found this thread, went to the FBI's website, and emailed [email protected] as per their instructions regarding a lost UPIN. I sent that email 9 days ago, still haven't heard anything back.

Well I couldn't stop thinking about my pistol just sitting there in limbo at the shop, so on a long shot, I called up the pawn shop where I bought my last gun about a decade ago to see how long they kept records. Lo and behold, he still had the record of my transaction and he was able to read it out to me.

I went straight to the new shop and filled out the form. I waited the normal 30 minutes or so for verification, was given the all-clear, and was on my way.