The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 12, 2011, 11:19 PM   #1
Hardcase

Replica Arms "1851" .44

I ran across this one in an ad in the paper and figured that I'd take a chance - it was locked up tighter than a drum and just filthy, but for 20 bucks, I thought that I'd take a chance. It also came with an old flap holster.

I got it home, took it apart, saw where the other end of the bolt had gotten stuck under the little piece that sticks out of the hammer and put it all back together. Now it works just peachy.

Check out that barrel, though. It's a 1974 Replica Arms "Confederate" .44, but the barrel is round. The brass 1851 .44 is already a fiction, but it looks like Pietta got confused with the dragoons!
Old January 13, 2011, 05:35 AM   #2
Hawg

It's a Griswold and Gunnison but only originally came in .36
Old January 13, 2011, 05:59 AM   #3
Doc Hoy

20 bucks for a perfectly good revolver!

I love it when that happens.
Old January 13, 2011, 10:14 AM   #4
Hardcase

By gum, Hawg, you're absolutely right! That's the one gun that I did not look at when I was scratching my head over what the heck I had.
Old January 13, 2011, 12:06 PM   #5
Fingers McGee

Great find Hardcase. G&Gs are sexy guns - even in .44 Looks like XXX for a date code on it for 1974 manufacture.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old January 13, 2011, 12:48 PM   #6
Hardcase

Spot on the mark, Fingers. The fellow I bought it from said that his father in law bought it many years ago at an auction in Montana. Said it hadn't worked for as long as he could remember. From the condition of the bore, I'd believe it. It's got 35 years worth of scuffs and such, but other than a lot of grime and some green on the brass (all easily cleaned up), it doesn't look all that bad!

By the way, this is the first C&B revolver that I've completely disassembled and I have to give credit to good old Col. Colt and his contemporaries for a pretty simple and elegant design! From gun to pile of parts and back to gun in less than an hour - and that was with time for cleaning!
Old January 13, 2011, 08:57 PM   #7
Hawg

If it was a steel frame it would be a Leech & Rigdon.
Old January 13, 2011, 09:53 PM   #8
Hellgate

That's the first gun that I remember staring at longingly in the store's gun case while a drooling high schooler. It was love at first sight. Had to have one. I went back and the shiny brass one was sold but I got the Replica Arms 1861 Navy since it used less lead and powder (36 rather than 44 cal) which at that time in my life was in short supply. I use that gun for trapping, varminting (ground squirrels), and as a house gun for years. Still have it and it is still as tight as the day I brought it home. It's probably had 2000 rounds through it.But I still have fond memories of the most beautiful blonde gun I ever saw up to that time.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old January 13, 2011, 11:49 PM   #9
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Haggen
If it was a steel frame it would be a Leech & Rigdon.
If it was in .36 cal.

There were no brass framed .44 Cal pistols made during the late unpleasantness.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old January 14, 2011, 04:02 AM   #10
Hawg

Quote:
If it was in .36 cal.

There were no brass framed .44 Cal pistols made during the late unpleasantness.
LOL ya got me Fingers. I'm usually the one that keeps bringing that up.
Old January 14, 2011, 12:29 PM   #11
Fingers McGee

No problem Hawg. I'll watch your back.