The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 31, 2009, 11:35 AM   #1
MDS

.223 die set

If I start loading .223 for an AR, Do I need neck sizing die? Is the RCBS 2 die set enough?
Old January 31, 2009, 11:52 AM   #2
mkl

For an AR, the two die set is fine.

Full length resizing every time is recommended for the AR in virtually all instances.
Old January 31, 2009, 11:54 AM   #3
MDS

What about crimp?
Old January 31, 2009, 12:33 PM   #4
mkl

Your 2-die set will come with a crimp shoulder on the seating die.

Suggest that if you are going to crimp, you seat and crimp in two separate steps to begin with. Getting the die set to do both at the same time takes some experience.

You will find the crimp versus no crimp opinions on here are split about 50/50.

Personally, for rifle cartridges, I crimp only if I find bullet movement in the magazine as a result of recoil. I've not had that problem with my AR's, so I don't crimp those.

My 45-70 is another story, and I do crimp those huge fellows.
Old January 31, 2009, 04:23 PM   #5
Go Kiwi

Another argument for crimping came from my HK which would occasionally catch a projectile while loading and push it right back into the case

Crimping with a Lee FCD solved this issue (and using vmax projs) I dont know if this is an issue with AR's?

Anyway - do take a look at some specific info for loading for your AR http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.htm and read up about slam fires etc, there is plenty of helpful stuff out there.
Old January 31, 2009, 04:37 PM   #6
amamnn

Unless you have a problem similar to the one described above, the neck tension created by a standard FL sizing die should keep your bullets in place. Still, some folks only like to load cannelured bullets using a medium to heavy crimp for general purpose use. I don't know any match shooters here that use cannelured bullets and/or a crimp.

Here's another source of good info for loading rounds for use in service rifles and clones.

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/re...sgunreload.cfm
Old January 31, 2009, 04:54 PM   #7
MDS

Good info. Thanks everyone
Old January 31, 2009, 05:10 PM   #8
scsov509

FWIW, RCBS small base dies are pretty snazzy for the AR so that you don't have to repeatedly trim. Definitely worth a few extra dollars if you're looking to feed your AR for higher volume loading.
Old February 1, 2009, 01:29 PM   #9
totalloser

I'd personally lean heavily away from the SB version of the Xdie. Those things love to stick cases as it is. I didn't like mine much. You still REALLY should check each one to make sure an untrimmed piece doesn't sneak by leaving the length too long.

My reloading books recommend a crimp for all semiauto rifles. The crimp in the seating die is somewhat finicky about trim length, so I use the Lee FCD, and am very happy with it. I experienced a tightening of groups by about 1/2" using the FCD, but this doesn't seem to be the case for everyone.

It is possible to neck size only with the full length dies (like in the 2 die set) by backing them out, but this is sort of a bad idea for a semi as the fire formed brass may have trouble feeding.