The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 23, 2014, 08:40 AM   #26
SVTCobra306

I had the same scope that skizzums posted on an Axis in .308. The bolt throw caused me to mount it so high that it was uncomfortable to shoot. It caused me to sell the rifle.

I have the scope now on a Savage 11 .243, and it's ok. Despite being a Banner, it is a made in china scope, and out of the box the finish was so-so. The clearcoat was bubbled up and falling off of the logos on it right out of the box (or plastic, as it was). For the money I wish I had just gotten a Nikon. For "cheap" scopes I use Bushnell Banners, but look for the ones in blue and silver boxes, they should be Korean made and overall they are higher quality than the Chinese versions, they are to me the equivalent of a $30 bushnell from 15 years ago.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be hunting for a take-off weaver scope from one of the new Axis II rifles, they have a narrow eyepiece and should be able to be mounted lower than most scopes with the Axis bolt throw. Try to score the rings with it..
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Old October 23, 2014, 04:25 PM   #27
Rob228

This is one of those circumstances where you need to be patient and wait until you have the money to get what you need. Trying to piece it together from what you have is only going to make you regret your purchase and distrust your rifle as you keep looking for the next cheap solution. Wait, save your money, get quality rings and a quality scope. If you try to half-ass this you are going to regret every minute of it.
Old October 23, 2014, 05:09 PM   #28
DPris
Member Emeritus

Could not agree more!
Listen to the man, Mo.
Denis
Old October 23, 2014, 07:13 PM   #29
NHSHOOTER

I would have to chime in on the last 2 posts, save your money and research, get the right one the first time.
Old October 23, 2014, 11:54 PM   #30
skizzums

also consider that there is nothing wrong with a cheap scope that does what it's supposed to do. I can do sub moa groups at 100 yards with an 80$ scope on a 500$ rifle, I am happy with it. if I was building a 500 yard target rifle, then I would say I would need to spend several hundreds of dollars. just depends on what you need the glass for.

$