The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 11, 2013, 04:12 PM   #1
Flashover2011

.45 ACP Junk Reloads Help Disassemble

Hey everyone, I have two rounds that a friend had reloaded that I need to disassemble safely. The first round jammed on the feed and I didn't want to risk shooting it as it was a reload. The second round is a bit more concerning, as it pushed into the barrel, it made a funny noise. When I checked the round, the bullet had pushed into the casing approx. 1/8".. Yikes!!! Anyway, I save my casings because my local gunshop takes them on trade, and two casings are worth more to me than two dud bullets that I don't want to shoot. Also, no one around has a bullet puller. The bullets are pure lead. Thanks
Old April 11, 2013, 04:18 PM   #2
tnelson31

I would toss them.
Old April 11, 2013, 05:06 PM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

If you are not comfortable with shooting them. I agree on tossing them. A bullet puller cost more than a box of ammo, and that is for the cheapo mallet style.
Old April 11, 2013, 06:25 PM   #4
rodfac

Yikes indeed...let's see...you're going to pawn off two problem rounds on your local GS after you manage to pry them out of the gun. I'd suggest that you dispose of them and eat the 3 cents you'd have made at the gs. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old April 11, 2013, 06:39 PM   #5
gundog5

For me I would not just toss them, I would take the cartridge with the bullet still intact and using two pair of pliers pull the bullet out (use a twisting motion) de-prime and on the second where the bullet has dropped into the case, soak it in water, cut the base and remove the bullet, de-prime. Now everyone is safe.
Old April 11, 2013, 06:42 PM   #6
Flashover2011

Thanks for the help everyone. Ill soak em to ruin the powder then pitch em. Not worth keeping and not worth losing a finger over.
Old April 11, 2013, 07:55 PM   #7
m&p45acp10+1

Just thow them in the trash. Do not worry about the powder. If they caught on fire ouside of a chamber it would not do very much damage. Someone posted a video made by SAAMI of the things they did to ammo. Burning was one, runing over them with a tread drive bull dozer was another. When on fire they pop like fire crackers. The pieces would at most casue a flesh wound. Your shaving cream can poses more danger than the ammo.
Old April 11, 2013, 09:24 PM   #8
serf 'rett

Personally, I would hesitate to shoot any reloads made by someone else unless I knew them to be experienced in reloading. I don't know of any serious experienced handloaders who don't own an impact or collet type bullet puller (well there might be an old timer or two with a couple of pliers). Bullet set back is an indicator of a serious problem somewhere.

Toss the cartridges and reevaluate.