The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 16, 2009, 10:24 PM   #1
roy reali

The Most Sensible Caliber

I was just looking at reloading data on Hodgdon website. I realize that the the caliber, I do mean caliber, not cartridge, that makes logical sense is the .270.

I saw in the 30 caliber cartridges, there are a half dozen rounds that fire 180 grain bullets at 2700 feet per second, give or take. Why must there be so many 30 caliber cartridges that are almost performance duplicates of each other? Why is there a .300 Ruger and a .30TC. Is one going to kill deer quicker. Is one designed not to miss as often? Does owning a rifle in each chambering close some magic gap? The 7 mm's are almost as bad. The .338's are getting there.

Then I looked at cartridges that launch .270 bullets. There are three. One is the standard Winchester round, one is the Winchester Short Magnum, and the last is the Weatherby Magnum. This is very logical. You have three cartridges shooting the same bullets with a marked performance difference in each. The short magnum boosts velocity by a couple of hundred feet per second, while the Weatherby adds another few hundred feet of velocity. There are not a bunch of .270 cartridges that do the exact same thing.

Why the over devolpment of 30 caliber cartridges? Why the sensible deveolpment of the .270 cartridges?
Old September 16, 2009, 10:47 PM   #2
lizziedog1

I have also wondered why there are so many 30 caliber cartridges. If the .30-30, the .30-06, and the .300 Winchester Magnum were the only three availabe, you would have most 30 caliber applications covered.
Old September 17, 2009, 12:54 AM   #3
jgcoastie

Quote:
If the .30-30, the .30-06, and the .300 Winchester Magnum were the only three availabe, you would have all 30 caliber applications covered.
Fixed it for ya.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old September 17, 2009, 01:21 AM   #4
Rangefinder

Get into handloading---it opens up a WHOLE new world. You'd be amazed what you can do with the different calibers out there. This is the part where you're supposed to throw sensible to the wind, BTW.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old September 17, 2009, 01:40 AM   #5
Stiofan

You do realize the .270 Win is simply a necked down .30-06 don't ya?
Old September 17, 2009, 07:03 AM   #6
lizziedog1

The following article simplifies the 30 caliber question even more.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/optimum_30..._cartridge.htm
Old September 17, 2009, 09:35 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

The .270 is probably closer to being a necked down .30-03, the precursor to the .30-06...

Why are there so many cartridges that use X diameter bullet? And with so many of them overlapping in their capabilities?

Because you don't have one entity controlling development and production of cartridges.

The same reason why we have what, 100 or so different car models to choose from?

Hell, we as a nation could easily get by with ONE sub compact, ONE mid-sided sedan, ONE station wagon, ONE mini van, ONE pick up, and ONE SUV.

But where would the fun be in that?

Everyone is jockying for market position, everyone thinks their designs are best... You get the idea.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 17, 2009, 11:02 AM   #8
Mello2u

The Most Sensible Caliber

This brings up the issue in my mind: What is the meaning of sensible?

Quote:
–adjective
1. having, using, or showing good sense or sound judgment: a sensible young woman.
2. cognizant; keenly aware (usually fol. by of): sensible of his fault.
3. significant in quantity, magnitude, etc.; considerable; appreciable: a sensible reduction in price.
It could be argued that a .458 cartridge is the most sensible and is gives the owner more options than smaller diameter bullets. If you take the meaning of sensible to be significant in quantity; then the greater the mass is also greater significance of quantity.

A .450 Marlin could be one of the most sensible cartridges in .45 caliber. It can be loaded down for target shooting, up a bit for whitetail deer or loaded to full specs for bear churning out over 3500 ft. lbs. of energy using hard cast bullets or tough designed jacketed bullets. The .450 Marlin can be shot from a Marlin 1895M which is quite handy in weight and length.

I'm not really advocating this position, just illustrating a rational alternative.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old September 17, 2009, 01:43 PM   #9
Dannyl

No such thing

Hi,
Sorry but I do not think that there is such thing as the most sensible caliber.
Nor do I understand why it should bother anyone that there is such a great variety to choose from.

each caliber is somewhat different to others, although some have very similar ballistics. to understand what I am trying to say, you should try and spend an afernoon with a friend who reloads and a few of his manuals; you will be amazed at what performances one can achieve with different bullet shapes and weight in each caliber (depending on what muzzle velocity you are loading for) and so on.

I think that afer your chat with your friend you will probably see things differently ( the worst that can happen is that you start reloading and buy rifles in several calibers )

Brgds,

Danny
Old September 17, 2009, 01:59 PM   #10
Jim March

You know what's odd? If you were going to pick "one caliber for everything", rifle and handgun, you can make a very credible claim for the 357Magnum.

Buffalo Bore's top-end loads match 30-30 ballistics from a levergun, and we know what that can do for both meat and defense. (Hopefully things ain't so dire they're one and the same!!!)
Old September 17, 2009, 09:32 PM   #11
roy reali

Clarification

I guess I worded the start of this thread poorly. What I meant to say is that there are only three commercial cartridges utilizing .270 bullets. For many years there were two, the standard Winchester and the Weatherby Magnum. Recently the Winchester Short Magnum was added. It sort of splits the performance difference of the other two rounds. There are not commercial rounds in this caliber that replicate the ones we have, unlike some other calibers. It seems like this is one caliber that hasn't been mucked with much.

In 30 caliber is seems as though everytime you pick up a current gun magazine a new 30 caliber cartridge has been introduced. You look up the ballistics and there other 30 caliber rounds that do almost the same thing.

I guess 270 fans seem to have more sense.
Old September 17, 2009, 10:47 PM   #12
Bud Helms

Quote:
I guess 270 fans seem to have more sense.
First it seems you would need to be indifferent to the differences between what the .277s offers vs the .308s.

If the difference between a .277 and a .308 bore (caliber) and the bullet weights available and all the associated performance characteristics don't matter to you, ... given that ... then that's why you have choices.

Since when is more choices bad?

(indifferent to the differences ... )
Old September 17, 2009, 11:41 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

Quote:
What I meant to say is that there are only three commercial cartridges utilizing .270 bullets. For many years there were two, the standard Winchester and the Weatherby Magnum. Recently the Winchester Short Magnum was added. It sort of splits the performance difference of the other two rounds.
Don't forget about .276 Pedersen, and all the other obsolete .277" cartridges. Some of them are just as good, or better than the popular offerings. It's just that many of the cartridges never had the backing of a major company.

...And don't worry about the .270 WSM. Sales have declined sharply. Ammunition sales have declined. Winchester cut back their ammo offerings. Used WSM rifles are flooding the used market. Many of the fans are realizing the 'magnum' gains are not for everyone. It seems that magazine capacity and low recoil are more important than these buyers thought.....
Old September 17, 2009, 11:52 PM   #14
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

It seems odd to me that we should consider lacking development of new cartridges to be the mark of a calibers sensibility.

By that standard the 50 cal handgun rounds are the most sensible. Afterall, there's only... What? 2? 3?

And the Yugo would be the most sensible car... There's only a couple versions of that too.

Seems to me that lack of development means that the caliber either fills such a specific niche that it has no real room for development of that it fills NO niche and no one cares to develop it further.
Old September 17, 2009, 11:58 PM   #15
Bud Helms

Quote:
Seems to me that lack of development means that the caliber either fills such a specific niche that it has no real room for development of that it fills NO niche and no one cares to develop it further.
Bingo!
Old September 18, 2009, 12:05 AM   #16
snipecatcher

I like my .270, but I LOVE my 300 whisper. They all have a place, and I wish that place was in my safe.
Old September 18, 2009, 12:30 AM   #17
Stiofan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
The .270 is probably closer to being a necked down .30-03, the precursor to the .30-06...
Not to be too anal about it, but actually it was the 06.

The original Winchester 54 rifle developed and released the same year in 1925 was based on the 1903 Springfield action, but the cartridge was all .30-06.

Then again, I wasn't alive at that time so I can't confirm it other than google.
Old September 18, 2009, 12:56 AM   #18
Wuchak

There are a lot of .270's when you consider that .270 is 7mm.

The Winchester .270 uses a .277 size bullet while the 7mm is .275.

If you want to really see the redundancy in different cartridges get a copy of Cartridges of the World. It goes way beyond what's in most loading manuals.
Old September 18, 2009, 01:03 AM   #19
Bud Helms

7mm bullets are .284.
Old September 18, 2009, 12:02 PM   #20
44 AMP
Staff

It called the Free Market

And it is the market place that determines how "sensible" and popular a caliber is. It is not a scientific process. It does not take into account only the performance capacity of the caliber. People are involved too! And when that happens, "sensible" is as variable as the people involved.

Why is the .30-30 still such a popular round? There are literally dozens of cartridges that perform "better". So why?

Hint, its the rifles! The .30-30 performs well enough, and the rifles it comes in are light, handy, and still very popular.

Why are there only 3 .277 caliber cartridges out there? Not because its the most sensible caliber, but because its just not very popular. The rounds (especially the .270 Win) are fine performers, but the .27 cal bore size has never been as popular as the .30 in the USA. The .26 cal bore size is very good for many things, and excellent for long range shooting, but the 6.5mm caliber has never been very popular in the USA. And a lot of that has to do with the rifles and cartridges that have been available in the past.

The 6.5x55mm Swede is a fine round, but until fairly recently, the only rifles you could find it in were surplus Swede Mausers, and while I do, not everybody likes them.

Its about sales, as much as other things. Firstest with the mostest goes a long way. The .243 Win is very popular. The 6mm Rem isn't.

The SSMs set the shooting world on fire, at first. Now, not so much, for many of the calibers.

Sensible is an opinion, and mine is different from yours, most likely.
Old September 18, 2009, 01:23 PM   #21
Montanaman

Why?

If they build it we will buy it!!! you all know that ...

I have a 30-30, 308, 30-06 and a 30-06 Ackley imp..

I hunt with the 308... the rest?

I think they are someplace in the safe.... go figger...maybe I need to sell some guns ya think? oh and 4 223's... I shoot my AK...uh huh...

a beautiful 375 H&H Mod 70 Safari grade, that looks so damn fine sitting beside the Ackley... which sits beside the very nice Ruger flat bolt 250-3000 Ackley Imp.... etc etc etc....

MM

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; September 18, 2009 at 06:04 PM. Reason: off topic statement
Old September 18, 2009, 01:30 PM   #22
griz

Well the 30-30 was there first so when the 30-06 came out the two rounds together made the 30 the first caliber to be sensible. It was all the 30's that followed that gave it a bad reputation.

Actually, if the fewest available cartridges make a caliber sensible, the 29 would win hands down since there are none out there, yet.
Old September 18, 2009, 01:57 PM   #23
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

270, 308, 30-06, 7MM the one that is most sensible is one you can shoot good and you can get or make ammunition for. They are all good.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old September 18, 2009, 02:32 PM   #24
Skans

.45 Uber-Magnum +P.
Old September 18, 2009, 04:34 PM   #25
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
If the .30-30, the .30-06, and the .300 Winchester Magnum were the only three availabe, you would have most 30 caliber applications covered.
Don't forget .30-40 Krag

Quote:
You know what's odd? If you were going to pick "one caliber for everything", rifle and handgun, you can make a very credible claim for the 357Magnum.
It's a heckuva versatile combination, but .357 isn't so hot for shooting past ~175 yards.