The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 21, 2012, 09:52 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Velo-dog, 22 CCM, 22 center fire... revisited

been looking at this project for a long time... I got in too late to get any of the CCM stuff, & in my collecting, I have found now, 3 boxes of Fiocci Velo -dog ammo for my "old gun"...albeit almost too expensive to shoot, I did fire a cylinder full through my antique

however I've been wanting a reloadable lil 22 for a long time, so I can choose bullets, & have a low noise & efficient shooter, for fun & small game... so... the conversion of my stainless 8 shot 22 mag to center fire has begun... & my machinist has nearly completed 200 steel cases that match the dimensions ( just a tad longer ) of my brass Velo-dog cases... we went a little longer to both increase case capacity, & so the steel cases which have the potential to be loaded to 22 mag pressures, can't fit in the Velo-dog cylinder... though I doubt I'll load them that hot, I wanted to insure that after I'm gone, those cases don't end up in the Velo-dog revolver... the Fiocci ammo will fire in the new center fire 22 revolver though, & should be reloadable if I chose to do so... my machinist is completing 200 steel cases, then is going to try to make me 50 or so out of 303 stainless just to see how that will work... we had tried to swage the 5.7 X 28 cases & a couple 22 Hornet cases, but that was more work than doing the steel cases...

... of course loading dies & a custom chamber reamer will be needed, & are next on the list, after the cases are done... if I stay at 22 LR pressures, the steel cases will likely not need sizing... they are heavier than the ultra thin Velo-dog brass cases, so should hold up much better, & one reason we ran the cases longer ( for more case capacity )

in the next month or so, everything should be completed, & it'll be time to play with loads... I use Trailboss for alot of my antique cartridges, but I'll have to come up with a less "volumous" powder if I want to get 22 mag like performance

I'll start loading, using some of my 22 hornet bullet selection... BTW, a 2 cavity 22 bullet mold for this set up is also in the making... but, I haven't started casting yet, so the Hornet bullets will get me shooting sooner, the cast bullets will make for very cheap shooting later...

goofy... I know, I could just shoot 22 LR with alot less "effort" but I like to load, that's 1/2 the fun for me, so while I shoot rim fire, I don't enjoy them as much

thoughts ???
Old March 21, 2012, 10:08 AM   #2
tim s

I have a 17CCM and have had and used pretty much all the brass. CCM cases can be sourced from Schroeder in San Francisco for reasonable cost. It's made from turned down Hornet brass and is good quality.
Old March 21, 2012, 10:10 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

do you have contact info for that supplier???
Old March 21, 2012, 11:48 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Why reinvent the wheel when the .22 Hornet is out there?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 21, 2012, 12:03 PM   #5
tim s

Go over to Saubier.com, it's over there. As to Hornet comparisons.....same/better balistics with 15-20% less powder and far better accuracy, less noise. Any further questions? My 17CCM shoots 20 grain Bergers @3200fps with 9.2gr AA1680. The 22CCM ain't too far behind.
Old March 21, 2012, 12:50 PM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

I'm actually looking for lighter than Hornet loads, more easily offered by the straight case wall, based on the class of cartridges listed en title

BTW... I have more Hornets than one man should be allowed ( probably because of my quest for these low powered reloadables ) even have a revolver in 22 Hornet albeit mine is now a custom fast twist version of the standard chambering... got a 17 K Hornet as well as another "fast twist" rifle & 2 other standard twist Hornet rifles, & another Contender barrel or two

my goal for this revolver & cartridge is a light shooting quiet target & small game getter in the 50-75 ft range, that uses very little power, & a cheap hand cast bullet... maybe 22 lr rifle power lever out of my 4" revolver as a max level... if I need to stretch things out more... there are many better cartridges

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; March 21, 2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old March 23, 2012, 11:41 PM   #7
Para Cassatt

That's very interesting MWM. I always enjoy hearing about the tiny cartridges. The more the merrier.
Old March 24, 2012, 12:04 AM   #8
FrankenMauser

Does it have to be .22 caliber?

.270 REN sounds pretty good here.
Old March 26, 2012, 05:49 AM   #9
Magnum Wheel Man

I'd actually like to try a .270 REN, just don't have a good platform... if I could pick up another Taurus 22 Hornet revolver ( I have one, that's been converted to a Dan Wesson style switch barrel & a fast twist barrel for my fast twist 22 Hornet expiriements )