The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 4, 2013, 04:20 PM   #1
Wyoredman

Colt Model 1908 Pocket Hammerless .380 ACP

I have come across a Colt Model 1908 Pocket Hammerless .380 ACP. The hard rubber stocks are broken, the left one missing nearly 1/3 of its upper portion. Does anyone know ofa place that sells stocks for these nifty little 380's? Also, I would like to get an extra mag or two. Where can they be found? Thanks.

Last edited by Wyoredman; February 4, 2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old February 4, 2013, 09:40 PM   #2
Scorch

Check out Vintage Gun Grips ( http://www.vintagegungrips.net/colt-...uttplates.html )for the grips. Last time I checked, Triple K makes magazines http://www.triplek.com/Products/id/38/grp/412/prd/608/ .
Old February 4, 2013, 09:51 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Also check www.gungrip.com for grips. Search Model 1903 rather than 1908.

Jim
Old February 4, 2013, 10:33 PM   #4
RJay

I can vouch for the ones from Vintage Grips. I acquired a set for one of my 1903s. Side by side, I could not tell the difference from the originals except for the newness of the Vintage Grips. I also recently acquired a set of wood Ortgies grips from them, I was very impressed by the quality and will give then a two thumbs up.
Old February 4, 2013, 11:48 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

I'll pretty much say the same for www.gungrip.com , so at least you have a choice. I don't know where Numrich gets theirs, but some are good, then it seems others are not.'

Jim
Old February 5, 2013, 06:55 AM   #6
spacecoast

Quote:
Also, I would like to get an extra mag or two. Where can they be found?
You can find them once in a while on Gunbroker, create a search and then request email notifications. They are costly though, I paid $125 for an original 1910-era magazine for a Christmas gift. Aftermarket ones are also available for $30-50, no guarantees that they will work (as well) but they should be OK as long as they are for the Hammerless guns and not the Mustang, etc.

There is a difference in the magazines (rounded or straight top) depending on whether the gun was made before or after 1926, so it helps to know what you need. www.coltautos.com is an excellent resource.

Here's a pic of both of my Model 1908 guns -

Last edited by spacecoast; February 5, 2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old February 5, 2013, 10:43 AM   #7
Wyoredman

Thanks fellas. I am looking at the suggested sites as we speak. Appriciated.
Old February 5, 2013, 10:55 AM   #8
Wyoredman

OK, Now I'm confused. I was under the impression that my gun was a 1908, but looking at the grips on these web sites, the matching ones are listed as 1903 grips? What gives?

I can't post a picture today, but I will get one up tomorrow. thanks.
Old February 5, 2013, 11:25 AM   #9
Rodger_p

The 1908/1903 are dimentionally the same, except for caliber.
Old February 5, 2013, 12:02 PM   #10
Wyoredman

Ah! Great answer! Thanks.
Old February 5, 2013, 08:36 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

The grips are the same size for both the .32 and .380, but the guns are not the same. The early .380's have a larger magazine well and the .380 magazine won't fit in the .32 pistol. There are other differences, mainly the extractor. Unmarked original magazines are from the 1903-1908 period when there was only one caliber. After that, the magazines are marked with the caliber on the base plate.

The grip pattern was changed over time, so if possible get the style appropriate to the era of the gun. If you have enough of the original grips to determine that, fine. If not, check back and we will try to help you.

Jim
Old February 6, 2013, 06:44 AM   #12
spacecoast

The gun I showed above is from 1922, with proper grips. The one below is from 1910, also with correct grips. Later they went to plainer grips from a different material with a Colt medallion I believe. coltautos.com will show you which is correct depending on your serial number.

Old February 6, 2013, 10:56 AM   #13
Wyoredman

This gun is serial #24xxx. It has grips like your 1922 gun, with the COLT in an oval, not the starburst pattern.

Your gun is in much better shape than mine. I took it apart and cleaned/oiled it with Hoppes #9 and CLP last night. The barrel is a bit pitted, but cleaned up pretty nicely. The left side of the frame and the slide are rusty and pitted. I think I got most of the rust wiped and oiled. Any other suggestions to stop/reverse the rust?

The gun seems to function ok, I haven't shot it, as I need a magazine. It didn't come with one.

My FIL gave it to me, so it didn't cost anything. Just a cool old gun that I would like to get back into service.

I can't post any pictures yet, because my dishnet satellite internet is at my upload limit for the month! (Daughters and smart phones are killing this redneck's internet gun fun!)
Old February 6, 2013, 11:23 AM   #14
spacecoast

24xxx would put it at 1915 and the grips are correct (though broken). I believe any type grips for the 1908 will fit if you don't want to put a lot of money into them.

I don't have any particular advice on the rust other than maybe to hit the rough spots with a little fine steel wool to smooth them down and then keep it well oiled. I hope the gun works well for you, mine is a delightful shooter and quite accurate with mild handloads.

The frame and slide both have serial numbers that should match as these guns were hand-fitted.
Old February 6, 2013, 11:42 AM   #15
Rodger_p

I have ordered several magazines from Numrich for mine. They are aftermarket but I have had good success with both the .32 and .380 mags.

They are not marked with a manufacturer so I'm not sure who made them.

I have not checked lately to see if they have any in stock.

They are also NOT cheap. (but, since the gun was free, you may not mind)

And, on the .32 I had to file a couple of thousanths off of the base to get them to fit

-Rodger
Old February 6, 2013, 12:41 PM   #16
Wyoredman

Thanks for the help. If you don't mind, could you look at this link from Tripple K and let me know if this is the correct magazine? I just want to order the correct one the first time. Thanks again.

http://www.triplek.com/Products/id/38/grp/412/prd/573/
Old February 6, 2013, 01:38 PM   #17
spacecoast

That is definitely NOT the correct magazine. You want .380 Auto (or .380 ACP), the .38 Auto is a different round entirely, and the gun is quite a bit larger I believe.

I don't see any on Gunbroker at the moment, but this page at Triple K appears to be the correct magazine -

http://www.triplek.com/Products/id/38/grp/412/prd/608/

I could use a second mag for mine, I might order one myself.

Last edited by spacecoast; February 6, 2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old February 6, 2013, 01:53 PM   #18
Wyoredman

Thanks. Got the correct one ordered. Appriciation to everyone for the help.
Old February 6, 2013, 02:03 PM   #19
spacecoast

You're very welcome, I'll be interested in seeing how the Triple K mag works in mine as well. $34 is a lot better than $125 (or more) for an original mag.
Old February 7, 2013, 09:39 PM   #20
Wyoredman

Here it is. Just received notice that the new grips have shipped. No word on the mag, yet.

Old February 8, 2013, 08:37 AM   #21
Rodger_p

Gorgeous!!
(Not being sarcastic)
Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder!
Old February 8, 2013, 09:14 AM   #22
spacecoast

Wyoredman -

Not bad at all, especially considering its age, and it's more a lack of bluing on the left side than rust, and won't affect function at all. Should be a lot of fun to shoot.

Do you reload by any chance? Your gun will handle today's commercial loads without a problem, but I like to baby mine with mild handloads that still cycle just fine and put a little less stress on the recoil spring/frame etc. I had a light strike problem with my smaller pistol (the .25 ACP Vest Pocket shown in my first post) that was cured with a replacement firing pin spring.
Old February 8, 2013, 01:18 PM   #23
Wyoredman

Thanks guys.

I do reload, but don't have .380 ACP dies.

I plan on posting pics when I get the new grips installed and pics of this old gun at the range when the magazine shows up!
Old February 12, 2013, 03:35 PM   #24
Wyoredman

Received the grips and the magazine today. The grips are going to need a bit of fitting, as the two escuchions (washer and nut) are not alowing the grip screw to line up correctly when the new grips are snapped into place. It doesn't look too complicated, but I will post pictures when I get them installed. Yeah!
Old February 12, 2013, 04:40 PM   #25
spacecoast

Sounds good, I also ordered a magazine, received it and it appears to be a perfect match. I'll be shooting the gun in a couple of weeks to make sure.