The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 24, 2013, 08:59 PM   #1
Gunnutfn49

RESTORED FN49 AL in .30-06

It found its way to me in really rough shape. It was missing parts and the wood had been sorely neglected.

About three months of TLC and parts hunting it is now in prime condition!

It has about 6 coats of birchwood casey gun stock oil on it, and all parts that had surface rust have been painstakingly excoriated.

Thought I would post it here where there is an audience that would approve.

Any other 49-ers out there?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a1.jpg (244.2 KB, 181 views)

...What he meant to add was, "unless, of course, all responsible citizens are armed to the teeth."
Old March 24, 2013, 09:32 PM   #2
hagar

Looks pretty nice! Still looking for one in 30/06 myself, have the 7mm & 8mm versions.
Old March 25, 2013, 02:09 PM   #3
Gunnutfn49

any pics?

...What he meant to add was, "unless, of course, all responsible citizens are armed to the teeth."
Old March 26, 2013, 10:22 PM   #4
en-frame

Very nicely done,Gunnutfn49. The FN49 is a fine rifle. I've got an 8mm, but I wish I had a Lux 30-06 as well. Have you taken 'er out for a range session yet?
Old March 28, 2013, 11:00 AM   #5
Gunnutfn49

I have actually. While i was at three coats of birchwood casey, i took it out and hammered a steel plate at 300 meters with about 80 rounds of prvi partizan.

Love the rifle.

Thanks for the compliment

Last edited by Gunnutfn49; March 28, 2013 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Forgot to say thanks
Old March 28, 2013, 10:30 PM   #6
en-frame

Excellent! Nice to know she shoots as good as she looks.
Old March 30, 2013, 11:06 PM   #7
Ignition Override

That's a beautiful FN-49.

The 49 reportedly was one of the best semi-auto military rifles ever built.
The timing and maybe production costs were disadvantages.
Old April 3, 2013, 08:27 PM   #8
Gunnutfn49

http://www.amazon.com/SAFN-49-Battle...793768-2124919

Bought this book to help get the right parts. Great history. The book is ideally priced for someone who would spend more on parts!

Old April 3, 2013, 08:41 PM   #9
Moloch

Thats a really beautiful rifle, wow!
Old April 4, 2013, 11:18 AM   #10
Tuzo

Have an FN49 .30-06 for the Colombian armed forces. Bought it sometime in the mid 60's for $50.

Only downside / upside to the rifle is the gas port relief adjustment. It must be adjusted for different loadings otherwise the action may not cycle with mild reloads or it may blow the top barrel shroud off with hot reloads. I reload to M1 specs using CCI NATO primers (to lessen slam fires) and FMJ boattails. The gas adjustment is right on the money for this round.

Nice rifle with simple field stripping and cleaning. Enjoy it.
Old April 4, 2013, 12:37 PM   #11
Gunnutfn49

thank you for the reloading input. I havent reloaded for it yet (I still have some LC match rounds) but when i do, I will stick with more conventional loads.