The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 25, 2008, 07:35 PM   #26
phil mcwilliam

I went hunting red deer in Fiordland on the south island of New Zealand some 15 years ago. My maouri guide cooked the heart of the deer I shot with diced onions & red wine. We had this for breakfast on toast, together with a fillet of rainbow trout that was caught in the river beside our camp. An unusual mix but one of the nicest breakfasts I've ever had.
Old October 26, 2008, 08:34 AM   #27
Gbro

I love Heart also. A little trimming to remove the tallow, and we boil it then fry it. Makes for a wonderful sandwich to toast over a fire on a y stick.
As for deer liver, most livers do not look very healthy, but if someone gets a young jumper, well its time for horse-De-Ovaries. Sliced thin and floured is all we do and into the skillet
Old October 26, 2008, 09:53 AM   #28
sc928porsche

My family has always loved both the heart and liver. Usually there isnt any usable (300WM) but when there is, it is a welcomed feast.
Old October 26, 2008, 06:04 PM   #29
Rembrandt

Some believe eating the heart transfers mystical powers from the animal to the hunter.....could explain why people have urges to leap high fences and rub their noggins on trees...

Old October 26, 2008, 06:15 PM   #30
publius

I tried eating it once, I think I sliced it and sauteed it in butter in a skillet, don't remember exactly. I do remember it was too tough to eat and I always figured it was the arteries and ventricle linings which would be impossible to cut around ? I have always liked the idea of stuffing a heart w/sausage and baking it. Can you tell me anyway to keep it from being so tough?
Old October 26, 2008, 09:15 PM   #31
Gbro

We boil the heart for 30 min, then it goes into the fry pan. You could try a crock pot also.
Old October 26, 2008, 09:43 PM   #32
4V50 Gary
Staff

I love venison heart. Yum yum. Liver is good too. Can't stand cow liver, but venison liver is good.
Old October 27, 2008, 03:17 PM   #33
e-bear

peetzakilla, I have not had one bad remark about any venison I have cooked. Many folks that have tried my Vennyheart pate' tells me its excellent. Only had one batch that was a lil bit too hot, due to the homegrown habaneros. My family looks forward to the holiday game cookin along with my excellent Vennyheart pate'.
Old e-bear
Old October 27, 2008, 03:56 PM   #34
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
peetzakilla, I have not had one bad remark about any venison I have cooked. Many folks that have tried my Vennyheart pate' tells me its excellent. Only had one batch that was a lil bit too hot, due to the homegrown habaneros. My family looks forward to the holiday game cookin along with my excellent Vennyheart pate'.
I guess in this one particular I'll be glad I'm not in your family.
My rules (listed previously) are inviolable. :barf:
Old October 27, 2008, 08:20 PM   #35
L_Killkenny

One my group of hunting buddies loves deer hearts and takes every one he can get his hands on.

That being said, I drill the heart as often as possible with the 12 ga and absolutely love to see the look of disgust in his face as he tosses it aside while field dressing it. Happiness is.......

LK
Old October 27, 2008, 09:21 PM   #36
armedandsafe

We would wrap the heart and the liver of every deer we shot, each in its own bandanna and take them back to camp to drop in the creek until evening.

Trim the fat and cut off the cap and the point. Chop the cap and point for inclusion in the eggs next morning.

Slice the heart across, into half-inch rings (figure eights,) dredge in seasoned flour (salt, pepper, lemon zest) and fry to medium rare. Yummy.

Once we got home, the liver was processed into slices and frozen. Thaw, dredge in seasoned flour, (salt pepper, tarragon or thyme) and fry medium (barely pink in the center.) Most liver is overcooked and becomes usable only for boot repair.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old October 27, 2008, 09:27 PM   #37
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Peetza, Not bein' mean just a bit smartass...
1)Unlike humans who have many body parts we can live without... Deer do not... According to your own statement, you are basically limited to a hoof (one half on one pair won't kill the deer).
They cannot live without their ham or back strap.

2)The heart is a muscle but traditional sausage casing is not... Neither is the fat used in sausage to give flavor and juiciness.

3)Minus the skin the most visible deer parts are the back straps, chops, and hams.
This was just fer fun so don't think I am seriously pickin' on your opinion not to eat... innards
Brent
Old October 27, 2008, 09:42 PM   #38
zahnzieh

I have marinated deer heart(sliced) in red wine and vinegar w. bay leaf and peppercorns for 2-3 days (German sauerbraten style) - then fried in a pan - very tasty.
Old October 27, 2008, 10:14 PM   #39
Kaizer

deer heart?
oh bro thats a part of the deer i never miss...
it's best right next to back strap in my book.
Old October 29, 2008, 09:15 AM   #40
Nevertoomanyguns

I like fried deer heart but I love boiled heart thinly sliced with salt & pepper over lightly buttered Rye bread. I also Love fried liver and onions. It always breaks my heart to see a gut pile with the heart and liver left behind, unless I know its fresh, still steaming on a frosty Maine morning, then it comes home.

RAMBRANDT:
Quote:
Some believe eating the heart transfers mystical powers from the animal to the hunter.....could explain why people have urges to leap high fences and rub their noggins on trees...

I heard that if you eat the testicles it makes you strong like bull!
Old October 29, 2008, 09:22 AM   #41
Buzzard Bait

now you've done it

Now I'm hungry and season is still a ways off I love deer heart with onions and butter.
Buzzard Bait
Old October 29, 2008, 09:27 AM   #42
GTR645

Do be careful about consuming organ meats. If eaten once in a while, then it is fine. Concentrations of cholesterol are much, much higher in organs such as the liver and can prove to be quite dangerous to your health. I remember from my nutrition class that a polar bear liver had 200x the recommended daily allowance for cholesterol.
Old October 29, 2008, 09:30 AM   #43
Nevertoomanyguns

GTR645, thanks for the info but I will take my chances. I'm only allowed to shoot one Buck, except for expanded Archery in special zones, up here in Maine so I don't get to eat a lot of it anyways.
Old October 29, 2008, 09:42 AM   #44
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdogs
They cannot live without their ham or back strap.
What I mean is "in the next few minutes" sort of thing. Like if it magically disappeared they'd keel over dead. Thereby eliminating heart, liver, lungs, brain, etc. (OK, I know you could live more than a few minutes without a liver but these are my rules so I get to interpret)

Quote:
The heart is a muscle...
Yes, that's why there's the "cannot be necessary for life" rule.

Quote:
traditional sausage casing is not...
Never was very fond of "traditional" sausage:barf:, for that very reason. It is a violation of the rules.

Quote:
...Neither is the fat used in sausage to give flavor and juiciness.
I make an exception for fat, so long as it's mixed with other non-rule-breaking items. Maybe I should amend the rules to add "or used by the muscles for energy."

Quote:
3)Minus the skin the most visible deer parts are the back straps, chops, and hams.
Those are my favorite parts. See how well the rules work! The "must not be visible" rule was created specifically to eliminate the tongue, skin, feet and eyes. (Yes, pork rinds freak me out too)

I wondered if anyone would take me up on those rules.
Old October 29, 2008, 10:27 AM   #45
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I am always game to try and git a feller to eat the guts!!! Givin' enuff beers I can get many folks to try fried "buttholes" too!:barf: I just gotta get into the "pro chef" character well enuff, which also takes a gob of good beers!
Brent
Old October 29, 2008, 11:45 AM   #46
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Givin' enuff beers I can get many folks to try fried "buttholes" too!

LOL!

Yeah, and that would be reason #3 that I don't drink alcohol.
Old October 29, 2008, 07:23 PM   #47
Kaizer

AMEN peetzakilla lol
Old October 29, 2008, 08:55 PM   #48
Tom Matiska

The links in my earlier post put the cholesterol level of deer heart at 275mg100 gram (3.5 oz ) serving. That is only 2.4 times the 116mg/100g of deer meat. Deer liver is 3.9 times higher at 450mg/100g... I might think twice about the liver, but the heart just doesn't seem to enough to worry about.

It surprised me very much to find sites that listed "timmed" beef and pork as less cholesterol than bambi(trimmed of all visible fat)...... got to wonder if the beef and pork lobby cooked those numbers up.

IIRC the no-no re> polar bear liver was a big enough overdose of vitamin E to make your hair fall out.
Old October 29, 2008, 11:37 PM   #49
zahnzieh

hogdogs, I'm German-American and we're used to eating all kinds of organ meats, but man , fried butt-holes?! Steer clear of your house drunk or sober!:barf:
Old October 30, 2008, 12:15 AM   #50
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

It ain't like I am gonna tell you what they are...
I may pass them off as "doughnut medallions":barf:
Brent