The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 19, 2002, 07:09 PM   #1
CSKS

Chambering a round directly into the chamber

Why is it that for SGs, it's common for the 1st round to be loaded directly into the chamber (for semi-autos) before the bolt is closed? I mean...how's the extractor different than semi-auto handguns where such a habit will chip the extractor in short order?
While we are at it, how does the Benelli inertia system compares to the Beretta's gas system in terms of feeding reliability for light target loads?
Old May 20, 2002, 09:39 AM   #2
Clemson

What you are seeing on the range is a bit deceptive. It is not really common to load the first round directly into the chamber. It IS common to just throw the round into the ejection port and let it fall onto the cartridge lifter. Then the round is chambered when the bolt is released just exactly like it would be if it were fed from the magazine. As to why it is done, the bolt is already locked back, so the shooter doesn't have to operate the bolt against a strong spring to jack a round into the chamber.
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old May 20, 2002, 02:35 PM   #3
CSKS

Thank you. I can see that throwing a round into the ejection port is like simulating the feed as if it's magazine fed for semi SGs. What I'm trying to understand is whether the extractor still need to hook around the rim of the round from behind duirng chambering, which is the big no-no for handguns.
Old May 20, 2002, 02:44 PM   #4
hitnthexring

I have a Benelli M1 Combat. It functions perfectly with standard buckshot loads, but not with light target loads because it was only designed for self defense. It does function with the Federal Tactical Reduced Recoil loads. The other Benelli Sport shotguns have a different recoil spring that is made to function with light target loads for skeet or trap. The inertia system is very reliable & also amazingly clean. After firing 220 rounds, I disassembled the bolt on my Benelli & it was absolutely CLEAN as if it were unfired! The firing residue all goes through the barrel, not through a gas system with many parts. All Benellis are extremely reliable. They are well worth the high price, too.
Old May 21, 2002, 10:13 AM   #5
maze51

Hitnthexring is absolutely right. I have a Benelli Super Black Eagle and it is flawless in operation, and is easier to pack around than a gas operated system from a weight factor.

Absolutely worth the money...
Old May 21, 2002, 02:44 PM   #6
SDC

The big difference between doing this with a handgun and doing this with a shotgun is that the extractor on a shotgun is designed with a lot more movement and HAS to be able to snap around the rim in order to work properly. In a handgun, the rounds are designed to slip up behind the extractor along the breechface, and should never have to snap around the rim of a chambered cartridge. In fact, it's easy to chip or even snap your extractor OFF if you load a pistol this way.
Old May 21, 2002, 05:10 PM   #7
CSKS

Good to hear about the good things about the Benellis, it's definitely on my wish-list.
As for the extractors, I don't doubt that it's in their design to snap around the rim from behind. My guess is that it's easier to do that for SGs because the shotshell diameter is much bigger than that of a handgun brass and thus the extractor does not have to be "pried out" that much to engage the shotshell from behind, relatively speaking.
Old May 21, 2002, 06:43 PM   #8
kobun

The Benelli inertia system is made so that the gun has to recoil back a little for the bolt to unlock.
If you hold a Benelli too tight, it won't cycle.
Even those that have a pistol grip will cycle the lightest loads if you hold ut real loose. The M1 fields I've got experiense with works with the 24 gram (trap loads) shells, even though the internals is exactly the same as the M1 Tacticals. My own Benelli won't, because with a pistol grip. I hold the gun harder, and it doesn't recoil back enough with light loads.
This is the reason for the M4. It is gas opperated so it isn't subjected to the recoil issue that has been a liability when hanging all kinds of stuff on the M1. Also, I guess a 210 lbs marine can hold onto a gun much harder than I can.

As for dropping a round in the chamber on a handgun, I thought that was a no-no only on guns with internal extractors (1911).