The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 12, 2002, 04:17 PM   #1
kungfool

Your opinions please

How about weighing in on any knowledge/opinions/impressions on the following website: http://www.streetselfdefense.com

any and all comments welcomed!
Old November 12, 2002, 06:46 PM   #2
wingnutx

Might be OK as sort of a seminar pointing out ways a street fight will differ from stylized dojo point fighting. Some of the bullet points look like they (might possibly) contain valuable advice.

Some of it looks like typical self-hyping crap, though. Following the sensible-looking bullet points are still going to take a lot of training and practice, for example "How to deal with a boxer." Knowing in your head and doing in a fight are very different things.

The "Instantly know what to do in a fight" one particularly sticks out. The only way I know how to learn something like that is lots of training and fighting. IMPACT other 'adrenaline stress' training can help, but that's all hands-on.
Old November 12, 2002, 07:17 PM   #3
Blackhawk

Well done website.

Maybe good info or at least entertainment.

Money back guarantee so the max you'll be out is two way shipping.

Check it out and let us know!
Old November 12, 2002, 07:26 PM   #4
mons-meg

Quote:
Some of it looks like typical self-hyping crap
I would say most of it looks like self hyping crap. Come learn my super secret techniques...yada yada.
Old November 13, 2002, 11:00 AM   #5
krept

Quote:
How to deal with a boxer.
How about "How to instantly recognize someone that limits their fighting technique to only boxing?" That would be a good one.

Quote:
Five powerful methods to instantly stop a frontal attack!
And not overreact to double/single leg feints? Or how to instantly stop a Straight Blast?

All I'm saying that there is a lot to think about in the "new" world of MMA. I've even seen a local Karate school practicing groundfighting in class. We used to shadowbox in BJJ classes. Granted, people using the words "shihan" and "dojo" might be coming around, but if they happen to meet a thug on the street that trained in MMA (unfortunately it's happening more and more) they might be surprised into assuming that the assailant is a clueless freak.

There are too many good schools in the area and too many good video sets out there to waste time on someone who professes to have a new secret efficient and devestating attack system. Where is the PROOF? For me, multiple stories of the other guys like Ruas fighting on the streets of Brazil are pretty good indicators someone has been there, done that of which they speak.

Quote:
Let me explain. A little over 14 years ago I had a rude awakening. I had been studying and teaching the martial arts for over twenty years at that time, so I was fairly confident in my skills.

As it happened, a friend of mine invited me to train with his master instructor.
Well... if this is the guys 'rude awakening,' how does he know he's not sleepwalking still?

He might be a good martial artist and sounds like a good person, but when it comes to his claims to know the solution to streetfighting (whatever that means) I have to be skeptical. I'd put more weight in the people that are "instructors to special forces groups like the Navy SEALS" than someone who claims to have learned from an analog to Yoda.