The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 17, 2016, 02:02 PM   #26
Dan-O

A 2.25" SP101 is hard to beat, especially for a first revolver.
Old May 18, 2016, 01:04 PM   #27
22-rimfire

Unless you are planning to carry it concealed, I would not buy a light weight small frame revolver as a first. Go with something like the Ruger GP-100 in 357. Of course there are lots of choices, I would just decide what you intend to use it for and that should help guide your choice somewhat.
Old May 18, 2016, 11:31 PM   #28
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Looking for something small and concealable that goes bang every time.
-Snub nose
-Hidden hammer for snag proof
What are all the people suggesting a S&W K frame 4", and Ruger GP100 missing about small and concealable?
Take a look at the Ruger LCR. If you can rent one at a range, better yet.
I also don't get the "not for beginners" either. Just shoot it until you can shoot it well! Seems now days people whant everything perfect before they start. They don't want to take time to learn to do anything.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 19, 2016, 09:22 AM   #29
ifithitu

I just started buying revolver a few years ago,the first one was my Taurus .38 SPL+P revolver an i also brought one for my daughter, that she say she love. That where I started with revolvers,I own three now!
Old May 19, 2016, 10:12 AM   #30
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
What are all the people suggesting a S&W K frame 4", and Ruger GP100 missing about small and concealable?
Howdy

Nobody is missing anything. But some of us have a lot of experience with revolvers and know that a small and concealable revolver is a poor choice as a first revolver.

In my humble opinion, there is no better gun than a S&W Model 10 for getting your feet wet with a revolver. There were many thousands of these made, and they are still a good buy used, or you can still buy one brand new. No need to jump right into a Magnum, get your feet wet with 38 Special.

If you want adjustable sights, it's hard to beat the Model 14.

Old May 19, 2016, 03:31 PM   #31
K_Mac

Quote:
Take a look at the Ruger LCR. If you can rent one at a range, better yet.
I also don't get the "not for beginners" either. Just shoot it until you can shoot it well! Seems now days people whant everything perfect before they start. They don't want to take time to learn to do anything.
It has been my experience that for a new revolver shooter, a medium frame is a good place to start. "Just shoot it until you can shoot it well", is sound advice for the person willing to pay the price of learning on a small, lightweight revolver in a self-defense caliber. Most folks simply will not shoot one enough to do that. Why not start with a little bigger gun and enjoy the process?
Old May 19, 2016, 04:03 PM   #32
TfflHndn

My Taurus 605 has given me years of trouble-free shooting, and it is not unpleasant to shoot even magnums out of it. It is very accurate, and all for under $400. I know there are a lot of Taurus-haters out there, but there are people that hate anything you might come up with. Nothing wrong with a snubby for a first gun, either. Just go in with realistic expectations about what it will and will not do and practice, practice, practice.
Old May 19, 2016, 04:26 PM   #33
Cheapshooter

My first revolver was a S&W Chiefs Special snubbie. Didn't have any problems learning with it as a starter. Maybe that is why I also don't get all the fuss about grip size, angle, "good" triggers, or recoil. I learn to adapt!
Now my wheel guns run from a NAA Mini 22 Short to a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Magnum, and auto loaders from 22 Rimfire to 10 MM & 45 acp. Throw in a T/C Contender with pistol barrels from 22 Rimfire to 45-70, and I think I have learned to adapt quite well.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 27, 2016, 04:36 PM   #34
Tin Can

Gp 100 4". 357. Is an awesome place to start
No matter what you decide get adjustables sights .my 3 " Sp 101 is a beauty too with Hogue grips and fiber optic fronts sights