The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 9, 2012, 12:00 PM   #1
TheBear

M63 Swedish mauser

I have the chance to buy a M63 in perfect shape for 200bucks, but i dont realy know anything about this version of the swedish mauser.

Any kind of info is appreciated!
Old February 9, 2012, 01:32 PM   #2
bumnote

There's no Swedish Mauser model M63 but are you sure it's not a CG63? Like this:

If it is for $200, RUN, don't walk and pick it up.
CG-63's are target rfile made from M96 actions with a newer 29" heavier barrel (twist rate of 1:8 vs 1:7 on the M96 and M38's), different stocks and a tuned trigger and diopter sights. They were, and probably still are, extremely popular in Europe for competition rifle matches. The military version in 6.5x55 was called the M-6, in 7.62x51 the M-7...they differ very little from the civi model.
I've bought one...but haven't received it yet...and it was a lot more than $200. If it's in good shape...and real, it's the best deal you'll ever get on a firearm. I've never seen one lately in good shape with sights for under $800. Even if it's just an standard M96 in a CG stock, it's still a good price.

Last edited by bumnote; February 9, 2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old February 9, 2012, 01:51 PM   #3
TheBear

Your right, its a CG63. I had a feeling its a pretty good deal.
Old February 12, 2012, 12:21 PM   #4
tobnpr

With the usual caveat about things that seem too good to be true...
Either the seller has no clue what he has...
Or something is wrong with the rifle.

Be sure you check it out carefully.
Old February 13, 2012, 10:04 AM   #5
TheBear

I already bought and shot the rifle, no problems at all. The groups are much better than i had expected from such an old rifle. I think if i put a Scope on it instead of the diopter sight i could shoot groups broadly similar (maybe better, who knows) to my cz550. No rust no scratches, that thing was in the gun closet covered with gunoil for the last 20 years.

The guy i bought it from has no love for vintage rifles, he bought it back in the 70s when it was a top precision rifle used it for some years and replaced it with a "more modern" rifle (that he replace few years later with another "more modern" rifle). He usually sells his old rifles as soon as he has a new one.

He told me he is happy to get rid of this out of date crap, even said he couldnt understand why i want to buy it for 200 bucks when i could get a new rifle from ruger for 600...

I know this man for less then 10 years and already saw him with 7 or 8 rifles, always selling his old rifles because the knew ones are way better....
Old February 13, 2012, 08:42 PM   #6
tobnpr

Why don't I know anyone like that?
Old February 14, 2012, 07:05 AM   #7
bumnote

Bear, if you decide to replace the diopter sights I might be interested in them if you want to sell them.

Last edited by bumnote; February 14, 2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old February 16, 2012, 01:21 PM   #8
TheBear

Bumnote, Ill let you know when i changed to a scope.
Old February 17, 2012, 12:27 AM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
The groups are much better than i had expected from such an old rifle.
Even the standard Swedish military mausers are known for being very accurate. You've gone one that's been reworked to make it even more so.
Quote:
I think if i put a Scope on it instead of the diopter sight i could shoot groups broadly similar (maybe better, who knows) to my cz550.
If you want a scoped rifle, you'd be better off selling the CG63 to someone who really wants a CG63 and using the considerable profit to buy another rifle that's already set up to accept a scope.

Mounting a scope to those old Mausers can be tricky if the receiver is surface hardened and it would be a shame to tear it up in the attempt.