The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 26, 2012, 03:46 PM   #1
oneshotOG

R700 varmint vs pss?

Alright, so I'm looking for a new .308 win and I've always loved the classic 700s. I'm looking for something fairly cheap but not junk. I've looked through the main synthetic models of the remi 700 and I like the varmint alot, plus it's affordable. I've also checked out the 700 police sharp shooter(pss) and they seem quite similar. Could someone explain to me the specific differences between the models that make the pss two to three hundred dollars more expensive? I could stand to keep a couple hundred if there is nothing huge I'm missing out on with the varmint. Thanks guys
Old April 26, 2012, 03:50 PM   #2
zoomie

HS Precision stock.
Old April 28, 2012, 08:43 PM   #3
oneshotOG

Hmmm. Simple enough, do you think it's worth the money? Does the precision stock really help that much?
Old April 29, 2012, 12:33 AM   #4
Regolith

I avoid anything with a HS Precision stock unless it's used. Not because they aren't any good, but rather because they're a bunch of *******s who used a murderer as a spokesman, and I'd rather not give them any money.

Last edited by Regolith; April 29, 2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old April 29, 2012, 04:44 AM   #5
zoomie

I'll just say that the Hogue/SPS stock is one of the worst. You might not notice if you haven't used stiffer stocks, and the rifle will likely shoot ok with it, but it's almost always the first thing to go for upgrades.
Old April 29, 2012, 08:38 AM   #6
oneshotOG

Ohh gotcha, I read that link and I must admit that's a bit of a turnoff. Do you guys know if the barrel is free floating or not in the hogue stock? I'd like to keep it for a bit if I can but I really do want a free floating barrel
Old April 29, 2012, 09:07 AM   #7
kraigwy

Tacti-cool is "IN" now days. The 700 police sharp shooter(pss) is tacti-cool so that adds a few hundred bucks.

But I'll bet if you took both out and shot them, the Varmint will hold its own.

Back in the '70s I was coming up with a rifle for LE Counter Sniping, per the advice of staff at the USAMU Sniper School I chose the Remington 700 BDL Varment. (unmodified). It worked like a cham, I still have it, it still holds its zero and I'll match it with any PSS (assuming they are both in the same caliber, mine is 223).

But it's not tacticool.

Best case would be to shoot both (if that is possible) before you make your choice.

Another point, the $2-300 bucks difference would buy a lot of ammo.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 29, 2012, 10:21 AM   #8
oneshotOG

Alright, thanks guys. I'm not really all that into the tacticool scene as much as I just care about the accuracy and cost efficiency of the rifle. So ill probably just go with the SPS varmint and eventually replace the stock, whether it's with an HS precision or mcmillian or what will depend on how much money I have I guess!
Old April 29, 2012, 10:36 AM   #9
oneshotOG

But does anyone know about the free floating barrel on the hogue stock? Yes or no?
Old April 29, 2012, 12:41 PM   #10
zoomie

It might free float when it's held vertically, but it's not even close to free float when you lay the stock on a bag or bipod. I replaced the stock and trigger on my 223 SPS-T first thing.
Old April 29, 2012, 03:25 PM   #11
oneshotOG

Oh good point, ya sniper central said the same thing. I don't think it will be that huge of a difference though, not worth 300 bucks to me