.45 ACP 4 6.15%
.357 Mag 42 64.62%
.41 Mag 4 6.15%
.44 Mag 1 1.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 12, 2010, 08:26 PM   #1
BurkGlocker

Minumum pistol caliber for deer...

I've read a few different accounts of people taking deer with less than magnum calibers, say, the .40 S&W. I personally wouldnt do it with anything less than a full-stoked 10mm, but lets see what the OP has to say...
Old January 12, 2010, 08:32 PM   #2
Firepower!

357 Magnum
However, if I can get reasonably close the 9mm will do the trick with one head shot.
Old January 12, 2010, 10:04 PM   #3
treg

Where's the .327 Magnum?
Old January 12, 2010, 10:08 PM   #4
BurkGlocker

After I made the poll, I thought about it, but only afterwards. Since it is such a new cartridge, it completely escaped my mind. If the moderators would be kind enough, perhaps they could include it, but I dont know if the polls are set in stone or can be modified...
Old January 12, 2010, 10:23 PM   #5
GeauxTide

32s and 35s were designed for people. Game rounds start with the 41Mag. A 210SP @ 1300 can hit the vitals from any angle. Suggesting head shots with an open sighted handgun is, in my opinion, not responsible. I watched a deer Sunday for 45 minutes at 60 yards. I put the scope on him and wouldn't consider a head shot because his head was never still.
Old January 12, 2010, 11:49 PM   #6
WatongaJim

I started to vote .357 but went with .40 S&W since it's the legal minimum for deer here in OK. All these rounds would work within 20-50 yards. Just depends on your skill and local regulations.
Old January 13, 2010, 12:37 AM   #7
Austinite

How big are the deer? Are white-tails are not created equal. Our does in central Texas average about 70 pounds dressed. I've used the .357 successfully on 5 of them.

Would I use this revolver on a 170 lb (dressed weight) buck? Probably not.
Old January 13, 2010, 12:39 AM   #8
Crankylove

I would comforatable with a .357 Mag or 10mm. I know people have filled their tags 9mm, 40 S&W, and .45 Auto, but for me, I would want something with a bit more energy behind it.
Old January 13, 2010, 03:52 PM   #9
troy_mclure

i killed a good sized doe with .40S&W at 40yd.

but that was out of my beretta storm, and in the head.

ohio states the "minimum" caliber is .357mag, but doesnt state how to "measure against it, IE: ft/lb energy, or bullet diameter?

many states require a certain amount of energy at a certain range to be legal to hunt with.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 13, 2010, 08:21 PM   #10

I voted for the 357 but. I personally hunt with a 44 mag S&W. My neighbor took his first deer with his 357 mag S&W. He maid a marginal shot. Broke both shoulders but got no vitals. He got the deer but, sort of lucky finding it as there was little blood. 357 is minimum for me but, I prefer to put a bit more wap on them with the 44.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old January 13, 2010, 08:23 PM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

10mm is more than capable. As is 125gr and up 357sig and any load from 357mag and up.
Old January 13, 2010, 09:29 PM   #12
BurkGlocker

From what I have read, the 10mm in most loadings will 'outshine' the .357 Mag in most aspects, in regards to energy produced. I am not talking about the FBI loadings, but the 'full head of steam' offerings from most major ammunition manufacturers.

.357 Mag in a 180 gr loading: 686 ft-lbs

10mm Auto in a 180 gr offering: 728 ft-lbs

A little over 40 ft-lbs difference may not be that noticeable to either you or the deer, but its still a difference nonetheless. Both loads can be stoked to higher speeds, and the .357 Mag does have a more abundant selection, but maybe its because I am partial to the 10mm that I made it my minimum choice.

Also, on another note, if I was to use something in a pistol or revolver format, I would keep my shots within 25 yards, with 50 yards being the absolute maximum, but this is because I know my limitations. Some of you are a helluva lot better shots than I, and will admit it freely, especially when it comes to pistols.

But power does not compensate for poor shooting skills...

BG
Old January 14, 2010, 10:14 AM   #13
Shorthair

I killed a 135 or so pound buck last year, at about 10 yards with my 1911 in 45 ACP. The situation called for a pistol, I was in thick brush and had trailed the buck over 3/4 mile after he had been hit by another hunter in the lower hind leg near the hoof. Little blood to follow, he wasn't mortally wounded and I wanted to make sure I killed him before he suffered a potentially slow death in the upcoming winter. There was no room to swing my rifle in the brush and I knew any chance would come at close range so I slung the rifle and waded in with the .45. I hit him with a double tap as he bolted right to left through a window in the brush about 10 yards away. Two rounds, one went through the liver and passed completely through, the other entered the rib cage at the last rib and lodged in the off shoulder after destroying the lungs. Deer went about ten yards and dropped dead.
I was more than impressed with the performance of the cartridge, a Federal 230 grain Hydrashok, one of which I recovered.
In skilled hands and the right conditions a 9mm will kill deer, but it wouldn't be my first choice.
Old January 14, 2010, 12:48 PM   #14
MikeRussell

While I carry a back up pistol (DanWesson in .45acp), I wouldn't consider it a "go to" while out hunting...except like in a situation described by the poster above. If I'm going to go strictly handgun hunting, then 10mm/.357mag or better. If given the choice, I would choose this order:

1) .454Cas
2) .44Mag
3) .45LC
4) .41Mag
5) 10mm
6) .357Mag

In this off season, I will be getting a different back up pistol (it'll be one of the top 3 I just listed)...that way if I HAVE to go to the pistol, I have a little more confidence in it's abilities.
Old January 14, 2010, 01:34 PM   #15
FrankenMauser

What species of deer?

For Florida Coastal Whitetails - I view a .380 Auto as sufficient.

'Bama Whitetails - 10mm Auto.

Muleys.... it gets a little more complicated. The 10mm would be acceptable, but I would prefer .357 Mag coming out of a 5"+ barrel.

Quote:
From what I have read, the 10mm in most loadings will 'outshine' the .357 Mag in most aspects, in regards to energy produced. I am not talking about the FBI loadings, but the 'full head of steam' offerings from most major ammunition manufacturers.

.357 Mag in a 180 gr loading: 686 ft-lbs

10mm Auto in a 180 gr offering: 728 ft-lbs

A little over 40 ft-lbs difference may not be that noticeable to either you or the deer, but its still a difference nonetheless. Both loads can be stoked to higher speeds, and the .357 Mag does have a more abundant selection, but maybe its because I am partial to the 10mm that I made it my minimum choice.
Obviously, I like the 10mm, also. However, I have seen quite a few pistol wounds in animals. The lower frontal area of the .357 seems to allow a little more penetration. Energy is good, but if it doesn't get where it needs to go; there's no point in trying.

Last edited by FrankenMauser; January 14, 2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old January 14, 2010, 03:04 PM   #16
troy_mclure

thats where bullet choice becomes so important. a good wfn hardcast will have plenty of penetration, and still leave a good wound channel.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

Tags
deer hunting , handgun hunting