The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 8, 2007, 11:46 AM   #1
tumbleweed

fobus holsters

does any one except me notice that those plastic holsters distroy the finish of the gun?i like the ease of use but its murder on finishes.am i missing a step, like lining them or what?i also have leather for most of my guns,but i also use the fobus alot.thanks
Old January 8, 2007, 11:49 AM   #2
shooter_john

I haven't noticed any harm to weapon finish with Kydex... but then again I do carry Glocks! I haven't found anything that will hurt that finish.
Old January 8, 2007, 11:54 AM   #3
tumbleweed

fobus

ok,i should have spec'ed,i carry a s&w 637 and a pt-145 and a colt1911,i gave the 1911 one away because it garped the finish up,the taurus and airweight are the ones i carry more often,thanks for the feedback
Old January 8, 2007, 02:24 PM   #4
Hobie

Dirty holster, plastic picks up dirt and then works like sanding block on pistol. No surprises. A leather holster will do the same. I use a Fobus for my Bulgarian Pistolette Makarov with no issues.

Hobie
Shooting With Hobie
Old January 8, 2007, 09:19 PM   #5
rgates

I also use a Fobus with my Bulgarian Makarov. No problem. Blueing still looks new.
Old January 8, 2007, 10:20 PM   #6
Mueller

It isn't just plastic/polymer/sythetic holsters, leather can do a pretty good job, removing blueing from a pistol, then again what can one expect after several thousand presentations.

Try and keep your holster clean and this will help reduce the wear somewhat or select a finish that has a high wear resistance and figure a refinish into your budget somewhere down the line.

Wear is normal and to be expected, only safe queens stay pristine.
Old January 9, 2007, 10:29 PM   #7
liliysdad

Quote:
I haven't noticed any harm to weapon finish with Kydex... but then again I do carry Glocks! I haven't found anything that will hurt that finish.
Fobus is not Kydex, in any way, shape, or form.
Old January 11, 2007, 09:31 PM   #8
shooter_john

Ok then... I haven't noticed any harm to finish with Kydex (Bladetech) or any of several Fobus holsters!
Old January 11, 2007, 09:36 PM   #9
wolverine350

Afobus came with my Sig Mosquito 22 and it is great, hadn't noticed any wear yet
Old January 11, 2007, 09:58 PM   #10
Sarge

I have been packing a 1911 in the "Houston" holster, which is essentially a fobus woth a felt-like lining. I have noticed very little finish wear on the Parked Auto Ord (WWII Model). The gun gets stowed in this holster, inside the gun pocket of a Dillon Concealed Carry Tote, and where I go- it goes. So it's continually getting moved around.

Mu opinion of the Houston is very good, and I have used several fobus paddles for other autos with good results.

Hey, Hobie- good to see you over here.
Old January 11, 2007, 11:22 PM   #11
liliysdad

IMO, Fobus is junk, at best. Even the Uncle Mikes, with comparable pricing, is a much better piece of gear. You can buy an injection molded BladeTech for well under 20 bucks, and have a better holster than either. For around 35-40, you can have a real Kydex rig made.