The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 6, 2013, 04:24 PM   #1
Hans

Pocketability of tiny 9mm?

I am curious about anyone's experience with how easy it is to pocket carry a very small 9mm, such as the Beretta Nano, Kahr CM9, Sig P290, etc.

I would be carrying in a pocket holster in a front jeans pocket, and am curious if it would be too heavy. If it is, I will likely go with something like an LCP.

Thanks for your help.
Without the 2nd Amendment, none of the others would exist.
Old February 6, 2013, 05:41 PM   #2
jibberjabber

yes, no problem

For the Beretta Nano:

Weight is fine if using a good belt. No belt and the weight will annoy you.

Use a kydex "skeleton" holster* in order to cover the trigger and to eliminate the bulk of a standard pocket holster. There's no safety on the Nano so I wouldn't recommend carrying it without a holster of some kind if there's one in the chamber.

For a one-handed draw and fire, the kydex holster can be tethered to a lanyard. The other end of the lanyard loops around your belt. When pulling the gun from the pocket (with the trigger finger placed on the frame above the trigger guard for safety) the lanyard's slack is taken-up and the holster is pulled free of the gun.

*Pocket Rocket pocket holster from Statureman:

http://www.statureman.com/search/lab...rder%20Here%29

The holster covers the trigger and is held firmly in place by wrapping around the slide as well. Great price and service—highly recommended.
Old February 6, 2013, 06:45 PM   #3
redhologram

I will stick my Diamondback DB9 in my pocket holster and slide it into my Victoria Secret sweatpants or shorts. Anything that my IWB holster just doesn't work quite right with, I'll use my pocket holster.
Matter of fact, I'll even put it in the pocket of my bathrobe... lol
Old February 6, 2013, 07:05 PM   #4
Erich

I've found that the Kahr P9 Covert and CM9 worked decently well in the front pocket, the Rohrbaugh is great, the RAMI is marginal, and the Walther PPS and Glock 26 don't work (too large).

I value a quality pocket holster for breaking up the gun's outline as well as foot safety reasons.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Old February 6, 2013, 07:32 PM   #5
Nasty

DB9 in my sweatpants pocket right now...unnoticeable.
Old February 6, 2013, 07:40 PM   #6
glove

Kel Tec PF-9 and easy to pocket carry. Its about 7/8 inch wide.
anyway.
Old February 6, 2013, 08:07 PM   #7
X_shooter

+1 on the PF-9. Invisible unless you are wearing emo jeans or stretchy pants and why in Gods name would anyone do that!
Old February 6, 2013, 08:10 PM   #8
KyJim

I sometimes carry my Kahr CM9 in my front pants pocket. Fits fine in most and it's not too heavy in regular pants. It does tend to drag down shorts with an elastic waistband.
Old February 6, 2013, 09:04 PM   #9
dean1818

I had a CM9 for pocket carry, but quickly reverted to IWB carry with a Sheild.

Much faster draw

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old February 6, 2013, 10:52 PM   #10
Aristides

I routinely carry my Sig P938 in the pocket of any pants or slacks that I want to. It just looks like I have something in my pocket, but nobody cares what it is. I have keys and stuff in my other pocket, too.
Old February 7, 2013, 02:08 AM   #11
weldonjr2001

I have the Nano and P290RS, and have had the PM9. All fne little 9mm pistols, but none of them fit in the front pocket of my Dockers, are as light, and are as easy to pull as my LCP.

Now, somedays I do want a little more oomph in my pocket, and carry either the Nano or the P290RS. Of the two, the P290RS is shorter from top of sights to bottom of magazine, and comes out of the pocket a little easier. I also like the fact that the trigger pull of the P290RS is a little heavier, thus safer for me in pulling it from the pocket in a hurry. The fact that it comes with night sights doesn't hurt. They are available for the Nano, but close to another hundred bucks.

The Nano is nice, but prints a little more in my pocket because they didn't finish the corners of the slide as well as they could, and are a little "sharp".

One area where the Nano does shine for me is that it seems to come up right on point very naturally. Some call it a high bore axis, but it just seems to come up for me right in line with my intended target better than any other small auto I've tried.

The PM9 is about 3 ounces lighter than the Nano and P290RS, and was also a fine pistol. I got rid of it for reasons other than quality. It did have a wonderfully smooth trigger, like most Kahrs I've tried.

Bottom line is that the little nines are just that, but they are nowhere near as small and light as the little .380s. (I've also had the BG380 and P380.)

It's ultimately up to you to determine how much power you can live with.

I'll just say that for me a pocket pistol is always a second gun, backup to something else. On the rare occasion when I can only carry a pocket pistol, it's a Ruger LCR in .357 magnum. If they ever do actually come out with the Nano in .40, like they've been saying for a long time, I will defnitely get one, and it will be added to the LCR as a "pocket primary".

Good luck in your quest.
Old February 7, 2013, 02:17 AM   #12
JimmyR

CM9

I will pocket carry my CM9 in jeans or occasionally in my khakis in a Desantis pocket holster. It does a nice job of disguising the outline and making the gun easy to draw, leaving the holster behind. I generally don't pocket carry that often, for ease of draw, but will carry that way if I am out and about during my break from work (in a GFZ) and want to go into a gas station/mcdonalds/etc.
Old February 7, 2013, 02:58 AM   #13
Gazpacho

If you are going to pocket carry a micro 9mm, I highly recommend a Stellar Rigs kydex pocket holster and Duluth Trading Company Ballroom Jeans. The kydex holster minimizes added bulk, and the jeans have heavy duty big front pockets.

I find the micro 380s to be far easier for pocket carry. It doesn't look like it, but they are noticeably smaller in comparison to a micro 9mm when pocket carrying.
Old February 7, 2013, 05:47 PM   #14
orionengnr

Kahr PM9 is my favorite for pocket carry--jeans, dockers, shorts, no problem.
And I am not a large boy.
Old February 7, 2013, 06:35 PM   #15
CSHammond

I have never worn a pair of jeans that I could pocket carry anything but a knife. Unless you wear cargo style pants. shorts or dress pants with bigger pockets, (not denim), I wouldn't recommend it.
Old February 7, 2013, 06:43 PM   #16
vaeevictiss

I must be the only one that doesn't think carrying a gun in your pocket is a good idea.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old February 7, 2013, 06:45 PM   #17
Cheapshooter

My KAHR CM9 conceals well in a DeSantis Nemisis, but it's a bit tight for a reliable draw from jeans pocket. Cargo pants pockets being a bit looser work fine.
When wearing jeans I carry my CM9 in a Theis hybrid IWB holster similar to a Crossbreed. About the only thing I feel allows for a smooth draw from jeans pockets is my Elsie Pea, again in a Nemisis pocket holster.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 7, 2013, 06:50 PM   #18
Cheapshooter

[QUOTE][ I must be the only one that doesn't think carrying a gun in your pocket is a good idea. /QUOTE]

Not really a problem in a properly designed pocket hoster in good condition.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 7, 2013, 06:51 PM   #19
lee n. field

Quote:
I would be carrying in a pocket holster in a front jeans pocket, and am curious if it would be too heavy. If it is, I will likely go with something like an LCP.
How tight are your jeans?

KT PF9 is pocketable, given a loose enough and large enough pocket. I'd skip the extended magazine base.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 7, 2013, 06:56 PM   #20
kahrguy

Whay you pocket carry depends more or your panys and how the pants and pocket are cut. My mine pocket pistol is a cm9 but have pocked a taurus 85 for close to 20 years. Also a pf-9. If your pants are to darn tight to slide your handing somely then its probably to tight for any gun. No fancey belt is needed for 20pz handguns carried anywhere. carpenter jeans and bibs for work. Dockers and columbia pants for better wear.
Old February 8, 2013, 03:13 AM   #21
915A

I have not truly carried our 290rs yet. But I primarily wear loose fitting pants and have done a few quick pocket checks. And from the limited testing the 290 fit with no issues.
Old February 8, 2013, 06:16 AM   #22
bamiller

Pocket carry my Sig P938 almost daily with no issues.
Old February 8, 2013, 11:08 AM   #23
breakingcontact

I found pocket carry to be a mess.

Yes it's easier and if that's what you need to do to carry, then go for it.

I just found way too many disadvantages for it.

As far as 9mm in the front pocket. If you're willing to "dress" for it, I suppose so, but it would have to be baggy to some extent or you'll have a noticeable odd rectangle in your front pocket. This bothers some people, others assume, it will be thought to be a big cell phone or something.

Lots of variables depending on you.

Can on speak on my experience and I found pocket carry to have more drawbacks than benefits.
Old February 8, 2013, 11:45 AM   #24
Dashunde

My LCP gets pocket carried in the summer heat in the side cargo pocket of my shorts using a Bearcreek holster with a leather panel attached to keep it upright.
It does flop/swing a little, but not too bad.

I've tried the same with my PM9, but it was too heavy and flopped a lot.
Its much better iwb at 3-4 oclock. Its a far faster and more secure draw from iwb and it actually feels lighter when carried there.
For me iwb is win-win for the little 9's.
Old February 8, 2013, 12:10 PM   #25
Skans

I pocket carry a Ruger LC9. So, that means the Keltec pt9 and Diamondback DB9 are good to go for pocket carry. Can't say about others.