The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 15, 2005, 02:06 AM   #1
ozzman02

Sks Help?!?!

ok, i just got a yugo SKS saturday from a gunshow... real good shape. i shot it a bunch saturday... and i took it out today and just like that...no semi auto action, i gotta pull the bolt back manually to eject the cartridge...it worked fine saturday, but today its doing this outta the blue. any idea why its not ejecting itself? the bolt doesn't move at all when i fire
all help is much appreciated, thanks!
Old November 15, 2005, 02:47 AM   #2
jcims

Gas shut off valve?

Assuming a 59/66 with the grenade launcher, check your gas shut off valve. Pictures towards the bottom here. Semi-auto position is to the right (should block the grenade sight from coming up).

If that's set properly, there may be dirt in the port (take the tube out and peek below the valve) or you may have a leak where the gas tube inserts into the port assembly. Do some searching and you'll find folks that have used various things to create a gasket at the top of the tube.

One quick note: It took me three days over the course of two weeks to get all the cosmo off of my yugo. Shooting it the same day you bought it tells me it was probably already cleaned. Even so, you should tear it down completely, especially the bolt/firing pin, to make sure all the cosmo is out of there...(search for yugo slamfires if you have a problem motivating yourself to do that. )
Old November 15, 2005, 03:20 AM   #3
accordingtome

^
ditto.. took me a full week working on mine to get all the cosmo off
Old November 16, 2005, 01:44 AM   #4
Toney

Did you change ammo?