The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 2, 2002, 06:09 PM   #1
Black Jack .45

gunsmithing......where to begin?

Are their any schools or courses that are recognized as top of the line?
What is the best way to get started in this trade?
Old November 2, 2002, 08:21 PM   #2
John Lawson

The first thing you need to do is to collect all of the information you can find. Write "gunsmithing schools" in your search engine and ask for literature. Each school has certain specialties that you may want over what others offer.
Old November 5, 2002, 05:43 AM   #3
11xray

I am a fairly recent graduate of the Colorado School of Trades Gunsmithing program. You will get out of their program what you are willing to put into it. It is onsite instruction, not mail-order, so you will have to re-locate if you do not live in the greater Denver Metro area.
A degree from this school will provide you with entry level skills in the gunsmithing industry.
Some of the instructors are better than others. If you decide to matriculate, let me know and I will clue you in, there are things you should know beforehand.
Good Luck
Old December 30, 2004, 12:04 PM   #4
Harry Bonar

re-gunsmithing schools

Dear Sir:
Most "gunsmiths die poor," but I know of no other feild of endeavor that is so rewarding.
No school will provide you an education where you can just step in to full time gunsmithing; this comes from YEARS of real life experience and making lots of mistakes.
It's worth it!
I started out by reading "The Modern Gunsmith" by Howe. Then I started in on military rifles, then muzzleloaders. Now, I do special projects for Novaks 45 Shop, and in my own shop on sniper rifles, 45 autos and clones, single actions, etc.
I've made many mistakes; still now on 45 autos men come in and ask me to do a special operation on a slide, or frame and I just shock them by saying, "I've not done that before." But, with an understanding of machine work you take your time, know your limits and do it!
Wish you the best; In gunsmithing you are the "creator" and your shop is, "your air-castle" with maybe a dog and good people as your companions.
Good happenings Harry
Old December 30, 2004, 12:29 PM   #5
bill k

Lassen College in Susanville, California has what many consider to be the number one gunsmithing program in the U.S. Check out their web site or call them.
Old December 31, 2004, 04:12 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

I will say this again, in an abbreviated form.

If you want to go into gunsmithing to work on other people's guns for money, in other words if you want to go into business, first learn how to run a business. Believe me, that is a lot more complex than learning gunsmithing. Learn all the multitudinous local, state and federal laws that regulate business (gun laws are small potatoes), including taxes, safety, zoning, etc. Know that you can obtain insurance at a reasonable cost (the alternative is bankruptcy if something goes wrong or a fire destroys someone's $100 grand English double gun). Learn about bookkeeping and accounting; you might hire an accountant but you need to give him/her the necessary information.

Find out if and where you can set up a shop. Don't use your house, even if it would be legal.

Find a source of financing. With even simple reamers running $65, the costs of equipping a shop mount up very fast. If you can buy into a going establishment, or find a smith who is retiring, that may be one way to go.

Jim
Old December 31, 2004, 04:19 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Jim gives good advice. Gunbuilder Wallace Gusler told me what an old gunsmith told him, "I built guns until I ran out of money."

BTW, I've been to several classes @ Lassen and their equipment is worn. Colorado may be better.
Old December 31, 2004, 06:41 PM   #8
Dave Sample

I cannot think of a worse choice of ocupations. I lived in the Denver Area for many years and am familiar with the School of Trades out on West Colfax in Lakewood. I also lived in Trinidad, Colorad and am familiar with that gunsmithing school. Learn to do something that will make you some money without throwing all of your civil rights to the dogs. Unless of course, you like the idea of working 7 days a week for no money and a lot of grief.
Old December 31, 2004, 06:53 PM   #9
bill k

I live in a medium size Northern California town with one gunsmith. He works five days a week, except during duck season when it's everyday. He charges $55.00 an hour and has a waiting period of about a week to two weeks to turn around a firearm.
He's worth every penny I've spent on repairs and modifications to my collection.
He also has a contract with two county sherrifs departments to repair the firearms their resident gunsmith can't fix.
My point is, if youre talented go for it. Money is not the main issue in life. I choose the military as a career. I didn't make lots of money, I was away from home months on end, but loved what I did. Select a carreer you will enjoy.
Old January 6, 2005, 12:12 PM   #10
frag

A wise man (my father) once told me the definiton of success: Getting someone to pay you for something you would do for free. The point is, if you think you'll enjoy it, give it a shot. There's alot to be said for job satisfaction. Even if you finish a gunsmith course and don't make a living at it, at least you'll have the knowledge for the rest of your life. I've been thinking about learning gunsmithing as just a hobby. I'm too old to start another career!
Old January 6, 2005, 04:10 PM   #11
willp58

I'll throw in here FWIW..

I'm a NYS licensed gunsmith, have been since 1982. My license renews every 3 years (like the FFL) for about 100 bux.
I retired from the tool & die business 3 years ago and ran my gunsmithing business on the side. Many ppl can make a decent living as a gunsmith doing it full time.
In upstate NY (read small town USA) this cannot be done.

Big game hunting here is shotgun only so this is my main business. I see a few rifles from the PA guys and some handguns.

I have somewhere between 250 and 350 jobs go thru my shop a year and the last time BTF agent came here to inspect me, he told me I had the most of any shop within 500 miles.

I'm just trying to set a realistic perspective here. This is what can be expected.

What I'm getting at is - it's a good thing I had a good paying "day job"...
Old January 29, 2005, 02:29 PM   #12
Harry Bonar

re-gunsmithing

Dear Sir:
I think Dave Sample hit it on the head!
Old February 2, 2005, 12:31 AM   #13
Dave Sample

Harry and I know it's a Gypsy Curse. I had a chance at the Shot Show to talk to several nice young men from a Gunsmithing school and told them the same thing. Without a $100,000.00 Machine Shop and a lot of dues to pay, you don't stand a chance. The days of building 1911's with your hands is over. No more beautiful hand cut checkering, no more fitting of parts, no more two day trigger jobs, no more joy in a "Job Well Done". I am so glad I quit building 1911's that you would not believe it. I saw the most beautiful 1911's in the LTW's Booth (Ted Yost and Co.) that I have ever seen. They have ran by me and buried me deep while a few friends weep. I am no longer De King Fish. Makes me happy and sad all at once. Better to be a has been than a never was!
Old February 2, 2005, 08:49 AM   #14
mete

If anyone would like a copy of "The Modern Gunsmith" by Howe I have one to sell.This is the two volume book including supplement in excellent condition.$75