The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 17, 2013, 08:09 PM   #1
RoGrrr

FLORIDUH - Shooting reloads ?

I'm thinking moving to Florida when I retire and I reload so I can shoot lots.
I have a friend who lives in Tampa and tells me she cannot shoot reloads at ANY range there. I want to be able to shoot my own loads and if there are no ranges where I plan to live, I simply won't live there.
Is there any range in the Tampa area where I can shoot my reloads ?
Old January 17, 2013, 08:12 PM   #2
spacecoast

See if you can find a public range run by the county. Mine doesn't care what you shoot, but some private (gun shop) ranges are picky about that. On the other hand, I know a pawn shop near Vero Beach that doesn't care if you shoot RPGs (just kidding).
Old January 17, 2013, 08:43 PM   #3
mitranoc

Most ranges here in Palm Beach County don't allow reloads. My favorite range, OK Shooting Center in Okeechobee allows reloads, but no steel or aluminum cased ammo...only brass.

George Washington
Old January 17, 2013, 08:46 PM   #4
zxcvbob

Quote:
Most ranges here in Palm Beach County don't allow reloads. My favorite range, OK Shooting Center in Okeechobee allows reloads, but no steel or aluminum cased ammo...only brass.
That's interesting... do they let you collect your brass? Do they even allow revolvers?
Old January 17, 2013, 09:06 PM   #5
Florida Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitranoc View Post
My friends and I call that the Palm Beach Range Mafia.... I never shoot in PBC or at any Shoot Straight facility.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old January 17, 2013, 09:12 PM   #6
BigD_in_FL

Find an outdoor range.

North on US 19 is the Hernando Sportsmens Club in the Chassahowitska preserve area

Shoot pistols, rifles, machine guns, shotguns
Old January 17, 2013, 09:51 PM   #7
Doyle

Big Din is right. Those ranges are all private indoor ranges. I've even seem them go so far as to require their own ammo (and that's all over - not just in Fl). There are plenty of outdoor ranges.
Old January 17, 2013, 10:56 PM   #8
RoGrrr

What I'm really hoping for is two things -
1) - shoot my reloads
2) - be able to mine the berm for spent lead.

But people in hell want ice water, too....
Old January 17, 2013, 11:05 PM   #9
BigD_in_FL

There's a gun club in Williston you can do both - but that is fairly north of where you want to be - Hernando is still your best bet

http://www.hernandosportsmansclub.com/
Old January 17, 2013, 11:53 PM   #10
coachteet

My gun range in Cincinnati has no restrictions on ammo you shoot out of your own firearms. But if you rent theirs, you have to use their ammo. Which I understand completely.
Old January 18, 2013, 08:18 AM   #11
Doyle

Quote:
2) - be able to mine the berm for spent lead.
That requirement is a little tougher. Many of the ranges are "clubs". They are open to the general public but at a higher price than club members. If you shot there and wanted to mine their berms, the only way you'd be able to do that would be to join the club and take an active roll in club maintenance.
Old January 18, 2013, 05:37 PM   #12
TailGator

I have an indoor range less than 10 minutes from my house on the east coast of Florida. They don't even ask me what kind of ammo I am shooting or where I bought it. I pay $10 to get in, stay as long as I want, and the prices on the targets are reasonable, too.

Keep looking.
Old January 18, 2013, 08:04 PM   #13
g.willikers

http://wyomingantelopeclub.org/
http://ns3.webmasters.com/*antelopec...eRules2011.pdf
Tampa - St. Pete area.
Old January 19, 2013, 02:56 PM   #14
kahrguy

rogrr In the general perry to cheifland fl area there are hunting leases that are 10,000 to 100,000 thousand acrea and the guys shoot out there. Don't shoot the trees and all can be well. Pick any where from gainsville to tallahasse and many lease's ar near by. Do a bit of hunting to for hogs.

map of ranges- http://rangelistings.com/state.php?state=FL

Doubt any public or private range will allow picking for lead
Old January 19, 2013, 06:19 PM   #15
lonniemike

Answer to first post and question is yes. Look up gun ranges and ask then. Shooting Sports on Dale Mabry is the only place that I know of that will not allow reloads of any kind. They and others may have further restrictions like at an indoor range with no exposed lead etc. You and your friend might look around a bit more. best
Old January 21, 2013, 08:44 PM   #16
gatordave

I live in North Florida, have my own 100 yard range next to our home and shoot whenever and whatever I like. If you are moving down look around there is tons of medium to large parcels on the rural counties. There is a lot of shooting going on these days.
Old January 21, 2013, 09:02 PM   #17
mitranoc

Quote:
Quote:

That's interesting... do they let you collect your brass? Do they even allow revolvers?

No, they don't mind if you collect your brass. Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing anyone shooting a revolver there?

George Washington
Old January 25, 2013, 06:54 PM   #18
EFMAN2K3

Gun Craft in Ruskin. Just south of tampa. It's an outdoor range.
Old January 26, 2013, 07:11 PM   #19
treg

Quote:
I live in North Florida, have my own 100 yard range next to our home and shoot whenever and whatever I like. If you are moving down look around there is tons of medium to large parcels on the rural counties. There is a lot of shooting going on these days.
Bingo!

Have your friends come over, they'll leave their brass and lead behind.

I have a berm that if mined could support a small third world country.
Old January 27, 2013, 07:17 AM   #20
wap41

The best answer is find yourself a rural location and make your own.Who knows when they may want to ban shooting ranges?
Old January 27, 2013, 07:27 AM   #21
dos0711

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatordave
What time do you want me to come over and donate my lead on your range?