The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 9, 2011, 11:29 AM   #1
soundhd

What Size Tumbler To Purchase?

Getting into reloading and looks like a "tumbler" is the way to go for case cleaning so other then the Reloading Manual I ordered looks like the first thing I need to get in the way of equipment is a tumbler (among other items). Going to be cleaning 45ACP most of the time...usually when I need to load 500 or more......go to range once a week and use up 100 rounds each session plus will probably be reloading some 5.56 AR ammo and also some 38 special down the line also.....so what size of a tumbler should one get...I have seen them holding up to 3 gallons.....seems awfully large but what do I know...I'm a "newbie" to this....I have noticed looking around that Berry has a 3 year warranty on their tumblers.....What size should I get for cleaning around 500 45 ACP cases any any one time? (also noticed a post reply that said that member was using two tumblers at the same time and to be careful not to "overload" the tumbler or it will not work well enough....he was cleaning 200 45 ACP cases in each one). Also what features should I look for in a good quality tumbler.....only want to do this once so would like to get it right.....would rather spend a little more now then rather have to replace a cheap tumbler with a better quality one later......any brands one should stay from other than Harbor Freight? Thanks
Old February 9, 2011, 11:43 AM   #2
dawico

I had good luck with my Berry's tumbler. If you are shooting 100-200 rounds a trip, that should be big enough. You should clean them when you get back, so I don't see the need for a tumbler that holds more than 500 anyway. Plus, you can always divide the cleaning up into two batches.

Unless you get into 50 BMG or something else extremely large, a normal sized tumbler should be fine.

Some people have had good luck with tumblers that I have killed in a short time. Every manufacturer puts out a bad one now and then, so you may get a bad one from a good name. It happens.
Old February 10, 2011, 09:00 AM   #3
kalevatom

We have a standard size tumbler from Cabela's. I think we paid $50 for it on sale. We do .40 and 9mm. Pretty quiet, doesn't move around, and has an on/off switch. Does a good job. My wife is the one who actually uses it. She's in charge of cleaning and sorting brass.
Old February 10, 2011, 12:17 PM   #4
Rifleman1776

The 'standard' Lyman tumbler holds a lot. I don't count, just a 'lot'. Nice thing is they don't need tending while tumbling. Dump in, let tumble, come back later, check, if done, remove and dump in more. IMHO, not really necessary to be able to do 500 at a time.
Old February 10, 2011, 01:02 PM   #5
c.j.sikes

i have had a lot of diff. tumblers, about 2 years max. for life on them. i built one out of wood, hex drum, five ft. long with a partion in middle. one hp. elec. motor with pulleys that turne shaft that goes through middle. that was several yrs. ago, still works fine. at one time i bought brass and cleaned it for sale. i have a friend that shoots a lot of 45 auto and he uses a plastic cement mixer, works great. just food for thought. cjs
Old February 11, 2011, 10:58 PM   #6
bbqncigars

Buy a Thumler's model B, and use SS media (along with water, a little dish soap and 1/8 teaspoon of Lemishine) for wet tumbling. If you decap first with a universal decapping die, the whole case will look virginal after a few hours.

Wayne
Old February 11, 2011, 11:17 PM   #7
Jim243

Would suggest the Lyman 1200
Old February 12, 2011, 04:57 AM   #8
Sport45

I use a Lyman 1200 and it works great.

But I wouldn't put a tumbler on my list of "first things to get". I cleaned thousands of .45acp brass in a 5-gallon bucket before I got my Lyman. I think tumblers fall into the "want" rather than the "need" category when you're starting out.
Old February 12, 2011, 06:30 AM   #9
Logs

I bought my dad the hornady sonic cleaner, it works great and will also clean small gun parts. Less noisy than the vibrating cleaners.
Old February 12, 2011, 06:00 PM   #10
wncchester

"What Size Tumbler To Purchase?"

I KNOW what I need, don't have a clue what anyone else needs.
Old February 12, 2011, 09:36 PM   #11
Tex S

Quote:
wncchester "What Size Tumbler To Purchase?"

I KNOW what I need, don't have a clue what anyone else needs.
Then why did you respond to the post? Give the guy a break, wncchster.

I have a standard Cabelas tumbler that works fine.
Old February 12, 2011, 10:11 PM   #12
testhop

tumbler buy

get a dillon the large size .
i have had mine for years never a problum.
dillon makes top grade gear.
no i dont work for dillon.
Old February 12, 2011, 10:23 PM   #13
wncchester

"Then why did you respond to the post? Give the guy a break, wncchster."

I think I did, sorta. Sometimes a guy's just got to answer his own needs, no one else can do that for any of us. ?? And that was my point.

Last edited by wncchester; February 13, 2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old February 12, 2011, 11:00 PM   #14
hikingman

Lyman 1200 Pro Turbo Tumbler!