The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 14, 2017, 09:44 AM   #1
wild cat mccane

PSA-How did I do & 1:7 too much? Scope? Part II

Not sure why the last was closed-it is still on page one, weeks later. However, my questions are about complete

The lower came in last week, but I waited for the pictured GP100 to arrive too.

The "blem" PSA lower shows no sign of cosmetic blemishes. The hand grip, sans that common/annoying finger bump, is a rubber material and feels fantastic. The upgraded stock just looks better and appears more robust than the PSA pictures show it to be.

Putting the lower and upper together was nothing. I was a bit worried, but the whole processes is truly nothing.

I was in such a rush to return my first PSA order, I didn't realize this version was coming without a rear flip up. Any cheap suggestions? On the red dot, I'll be doing the Bushnell that was suggested-though another PPQ will happen before.

On the Magpul front hand guard (that might not be the real name ), I am not sure how to attach an item. I would like to add a vertical grip. Any adapter help?

S&W Sport IIs are now at $500. I sold mine right before the crash-phew. Would I buy the Sport II again had I not bought the PSA? Yes. However, now that I have the PSA, it is the better deal. Additionally, my S&W II had lots of wiggle on the upper. This PSA lower and upper have zero play. I can't wiggle anything on it. The furniture is better. everything feels solid. I think the S&W is great, but shouldn't be considered the only entry choice.

So I still have two questions. However, I would like to thank everyone for your willingness to help me understand and locate what I needed. Thank you.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; January 14, 2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old January 14, 2017, 09:53 AM   #2
2damnold4this

Several folks I know use the inexpensive Magpul Mbus rear sight and it seems to work for them.
Old January 14, 2017, 01:54 PM   #3
O4L

I use the Magpul back up sights on my AR rifles along with a red dot sight. I've been happy with them although I've really never needed to use them.

As far as adding anything to the hand guard, you'll need to know if it is the MOE or the M-LOK version. They each have a slightly different way of attaching rails and other accessories.

You might want to rethink the vertical grip idea. Most have moved away from using them anymore.
Old January 14, 2017, 02:06 PM   #4
MarkCO

Nice work.

Check out the Holosun optics. Impressive.
Old January 14, 2017, 03:47 PM   #5
john in jax

I like PSA uppers, I have had really good experiences with several of them 1/7 through 1/9. They seem to shoot all the common 55-62 grain ammo very well.

I am old and my eyesight sucks, all of my 5.56 ARs are now scoped with 3x9x40 scopes except for one wearing a 4x12x50 which I was thinking might a cool tree-stand hog hunting rifle - it holds a group of just over an inch at 100 yards with 68 grain ammo.

What it your intended use for the rifle?
Old January 14, 2017, 04:04 PM   #6
marine6680

The MBUS sight really is a good lower cost option. Know that there are cheaper "MBUS" out there designed for airsoft, So know what you are getting and from where.

If this is to be a primary sight for a while, I suggest the MBUS Pro or another quality metal sight. Maybe even a fixed rear sight like the ones from Tro. (Which are actually fairly inexpensive) The MBUS is a great backup sight, but it's a little bulky in size, and the sight picture isn't quite as nice as a metal sight is.

Attaching assesoried to the hand guard depends on if it has the original MOE slots or the new Mlok slots. I believe all the newly manufactured MOE handguards use the mlok slots.

If it has the mlok slots, just buy an Mlok version of the assesories you want.

It was mentioned that the vertical grip, if that is your thing, cool, but most find that you do not get as much control with them. Some like to get a short stubby vertical grip, and use it more as a hand stop, that they pull back against.

Last edited by marine6680; January 14, 2017 at 04:19 PM.
Old January 14, 2017, 10:09 PM   #7
wild cat mccane

Thanks. I don't know why I was thinking vertical grip. I mean to say a bipod for range table work. Rifle is for fun.

Hum. Just says MOE. Perhaps I'll contact PSA and ask which version it came with.

After thinking about it, I'll pick up the red dot first and then get the backup rear. More than likely the red dot will always be used once it is on.

Awesome.
Old January 15, 2017, 12:45 AM   #8
marine6680

If you can find some pics of the two slot types online, it's not too difficult to tell them apart. They are different dimensions.

I don't even bother with a bipod, I use a simple bag rest.

It's your rifle, and you are free to do as you please... but...

That rifle isn't set up for precision anyway... Without a free float, any time you rest the front end, you will alter your point of impact... A bipod would actually make the problem worse, as the way the bipod carries weight, unless you can put the same pressure on the bipod every time, it's not going to work for precision shooting.

If all you want is a little extra accuracy by being more stable off of a shooting bench, a bag rest works fine.

Unless you are using a magnified optic, even free floated, a bipod gives no advantage... So a bipod is just needless weight on that rifle.

That rifle is perfect for the KISS principle... keep it simple and it will work well for you.
Old January 15, 2017, 06:11 AM   #9
BigBL87

FWIW, if you're going to have a red dot on it and are thinking about a bipod for table range work, I'd strongly consider a shooting rest instead of a bipod. This is the set I have, bought them unfilled and then filled with my own sand:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/213...-bag-set-nylon

Very handy, especially for other guns as well. My father in law borrows them all the time, he just used to use sand bags but prefers these because they are more convenient.

Without a magnified optic, a bipod just seems kind of pointless IMO. No problem with it inherently, just seems to me like for your intended use a rest makes more sense and will leave you more money for other accessories.
Old January 15, 2017, 07:53 AM   #10
wild cat mccane

The vertical grip was an honest misspeak. But thank you for throwing me some knowledge on the bipod-I had no idea.

Thanks for the tips on the bag/rest. I'll look into picking something up instead.
Old January 15, 2017, 02:17 PM   #11
marine6680

Keeping it simple and light, you will enjoy it more, and it will be more useful/true to purpose that way as well.

A common rookie mistake is to try and turn an AR into a do everything rifle... it doesn't work out well... You get a rifle with an odd mix of sights and accessories that weighs a ton, and really isn't good for anything.

I have seen some odd setups at the range... Never quite knew what they were thinking... 3-9x scope, bipod, vertical grip, flashlight, laser, no BUIS for some reason... All on the same rifle. (Underneath all the stuff... One very similar to yours)

And because they were adding so much crap, their budget was stretched across multiple items, so they bought cheaper lower quality items.

Concentrate on what you really need, you will be much happier. What you have will be more focused and less likely to break on you.
Old January 15, 2017, 02:39 PM   #12
rickyrick

Powered reticles get BUIS. Magnified optics with physical reticles I usually skip the iron sights.
My wife's carbine only has a red dot, only because she can't use iron sights with her eyes. She's only gonna shoot targets with it anyway.

Generally I put dots or low magnification on carbines or pistols and scopes on rifles or carbines used for hunting.

I have no use for a bunch of tactical stuff, I don't do tactical things.

That's the beauty of ARs, you can make them however you like.
Old January 15, 2017, 03:10 PM   #13
marine6680

It was just the theme, seemed like a BUIS would be a definite on that rifle... I have also seen the same setup with 45 degree sights, or standard BUIS under the scope but without a QD mount.

I have BUIS on all but one of my rifles, which I think I have an extra set and could throw them on. With a my magnified optics I have a QD mount.
Old January 18, 2017, 08:10 AM   #14
wild cat mccane

Ordered: Bushnell TRS-25 Tactical Red Dot 1x25mm Matte Black.

Could someone suggest that cheap 1/3 riser? I looked on amazon (prime member) and my ignorance can't find what I need.
Old January 18, 2017, 04:11 PM   #15
marine6680

Did you not order the AR version of the TRS? The AR version has the taller mount already.

Primary Arms is a good site, SWFA is as well... there are a few places to find a good deal on optics.
Old January 18, 2017, 06:33 PM   #16
BigBL87

Primary Arms offers decently priced risers of their own as well as a few other brands.

http://www.primaryarms.com/search?keywords=Riser

They are available via Amazon as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=i...ot+riser&i=aps

I've heard of plenty of people being happy with the cheaper UTG/Leapers versions, but I'd be more comfortable with the Primary Arms myself.
Old January 18, 2017, 07:45 PM   #17
wild cat mccane

Could this work?

https://www.amazon.com/UTG-Low-Profi...E6M3X933KC7Q22

Thank you!
Old January 18, 2017, 07:51 PM   #18
wild cat mccane

I bought the TRS without the riser with the intent of being able to use it on a pistol if wanted later.
Old January 18, 2017, 09:02 PM   #19
BigBL87

Don't think so. Looks way too low, wouldn't clear the front sight post. One of these two should work for you want to go that route. The 1 inch model would be lower 1/3 cowitness, the .83 inch model would be absolutely cowitness.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003T...ords=UTG+riser

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003T...ords=UTG+riser
Old January 19, 2017, 07:31 AM   #20
wild cat mccane

Ha! I thought the 1/3 was 1/3 of an inch. No kidding I couldn't find one on Amazon. Okay. Thank you!