The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 8, 2013, 04:19 PM   #1
ltc444

Thank you for the input

I had my first encounter as a civilian with a potentially armed threat. Portions of my actions came from the member on the firing line.

On a hurried visit to Wally World i parked in a tight spot. I was within the lines and I noticed that the car on the passengers side was also tight to the line. spacing was tight but acceptable.

When I returned to my truck as I was loading my stuff I heard [profanity]. Looked around and a car was blocking the car to my right. Continued loading and the words were repeated several times after the offending car had left.

Car to my right moved so as to block me in and continued the verbiage. Moved to the rear of my truck. Guy on Oxygen threatens to kick my behind. I grinned. He then said "I will get my gun and shot you" He reached into his center console.

I moved to a defensive position and dialed 911. He observed me on the phone and left. Reported vehicle description and tag number to 911. Hung around for 30 minutes and no cops showed up so I went home.

Never drew my weapon and no one got hurt. All in all a good resolution to a bad situation.

If it had not been for the thoughts on this and the Legal forums I probably would have reverted to a more aggressive posture and escalated the situation.

Once again ladies and gentlemen thank you.

Last edited by Spats McGee; March 8, 2013 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Removed profaniy/asterisks
Old March 8, 2013, 05:23 PM   #2
BarryLee

Quote:
Hung around for 30 minutes and no cops showed up so I went home.
Wow, glad to hear that you are OK and also that you were able to maintain a cool and rational mindset.

So, I was curious if you mentioned to the 911 Operator that a gun was potentially involved? I know sometimes they are slow to respond to certain calls, but generally show up pretty quickly to a “man with a gun” call.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old March 8, 2013, 05:50 PM   #3
g.willikers

A guy on oxygen?
You could have just Flicked your BIC.
Old March 8, 2013, 06:04 PM   #4
ltc444

When he went for the center console I did not wait around to see if he drew anything.

I assumed a hull defalade position. I could see his head but not his hands. Had he exited his car I would have retrieved my weapon.

Yes it could have been interesting if I had been smoking a cigar.
Old March 8, 2013, 09:59 PM   #5
Lee Lapin

Congratulations on not participating in a 'monkey dance!'

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old March 9, 2013, 07:44 AM   #6
Murdock

Quote:
Congratulations on not participating in a 'monkey dance!'
+1
Old March 9, 2013, 06:35 PM   #7
1-DAB

or you could park a little further away next time.
Old March 9, 2013, 08:32 PM   #8
Slotback

I'm glad that nothing happened.
Old March 10, 2013, 03:48 PM   #9
ltc444

I would if I could. I am currently recovering from a total knee replacement. Limited in my walking. Normally, as a part of my fitness program, I park as far away from the entrance as possible. It also keeps the truck from being damaged.