The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 29, 2008, 02:42 PM   #1
reload4fun

Ruger 77/17 scope clearance issues

I wanted a 17HMR and a bolt gun, so I got a 77/17. It came with factory ruger rings for a 50+ mm scope. I put my Leupold M8 4x in the rings and it looked like a handle it stood so high off the gun. So I got some nice low rings so the scope was mounted like it should be and now the bolt hits the scope. I have never had this problem with a gun before, my mauser has open sights. I looked on-line and it seems that I am the only person on earth with this problem with rugers. So I am trying to find out what my options are here. Bend, Cut, Weld, grind on my shinny new bolt- huge scope on rim-fire(I dont want to do this)- any suggestions or hints?
Old December 30, 2008, 01:33 PM   #2
reload4fun

okay, so no help for the newby- fair enough. I am hitting really low on the bolt handle, half inch up form the bolt and it looks like I need 1 mm of clearance. Do I shave metal off or bend the handle. It is the "Target Grey" version, so what will heating it up do to the finish- shaving it for that matter. I am bout to start looking for thin sheet metal and just shim the scope up a mm- ugh may just have to buy new rings again and go up one size. Hoping for wisdom, may be making a mountain out of a mole hill here by not just changing rings.
Old December 30, 2008, 01:59 PM   #3
Scorch

Put the higher rings back on. Banging your ocular with the bolt handle every time you cycle the action will eventually cause problems. And don't worry what it looks like, worry about how it shoots. I own a 77/22 Target Grey in 22 LR, and it looks fine with the factory rings.
Old December 30, 2008, 03:06 PM   #4
reload4fun

Was always told that the closer you have your scope to the barrel, the better, not as worried about looks as function.
Old December 30, 2008, 04:18 PM   #5
Bowhunter

reload4fun, It will function fine either way as long as the "sight" line of the scope crosses the "bore" line at some "point" compatible with the range of the cartridge so it (the scope) can be adjusted properly. I have done "everything" to scope mounts over the years to get a "right" set-up for a particular gun for my customers. I personally would go the "shim" route first before going back to the higher mounts and "see" where that takes you........................Dick