The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 14, 2005, 08:09 AM   #1
35wailin

Mods for pattern improvement

Hi guys. I'm a newbie here and haven't had time to go back through all the threads, so I may be repeating a question here, but here goes.

I was at a turkey shoot last weekend. The only two rules that matter are no extra full/turkey chokes and no poly-chokes.

What can I do to my gun to tighten my patterns. I'm shooting an 870 express 12G. I was considering the having the forcing cone lengthened and polished and maybe getting the barrel backbored.

Does anyone have any experience with these mods?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help.
Old September 14, 2005, 09:33 AM   #2
n3twrkm4n

Different size shot and different powder loads will vary your shot patterns. You said no turkey chokes but can you use just a regular 'full' choke? That will help you out as well.

Best thing to do is get a variety of shotshells or try to locate information on them. Remington boasts that their steel shot produces much better patterns, I myself have not patterned them though.

My mossberg has an 'overbored' barrel which acts as a 'funnel' for the shot so it starts wide then goes through the choke and muzzle. It seems to work well, I use it for my turkey gun it's an 835 UltiMag in 3.5" and it kicks pretty good with Remington High Velocity #4 shot but I will contest that at 50 yards with a modified chok that I can still get pretty good paper with it... I'm too afraid to use the full or xtra full choke.

Not sure if you've read about the mods but here is a website for information regarding the ones you were talking about:

http://www.shotgunreport.com/TechTec...onesBores.html
Old September 14, 2005, 02:13 PM   #3
phear_this_mind

www.vangcomp.com