The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 24, 2014, 11:46 AM   #1
precision_shooter

Starline Brass

I recently purchased a couple new pistols. Looking to stock up on some brass for 2 new calibers and one that I've owned for years but never reloaded for, until now. What are your thoughts on Starline brass?
How is the quality?
How many reloads can I expect from them with mid level pressures?

I'm looking at buying probably 500 of each:
.357sig
9mm (Luger)
.380 Auto
And maybe some more .357 magnum brass.

Worth the cost savings to go with Starline or spend a little more and get another mfg? If another, which do you prefer and why?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old February 24, 2014, 12:27 PM   #2
mdmtj

For the calibers you mentioned I would just use free range pickup. I have done this with 9mm forever, load and shoot until it gets lost. I've yet to have a piece fail. I've yet to spend a penny for brass with the exception of the few times I've bought some commercial rounds.
Old February 24, 2014, 12:31 PM   #3
Bill Daniel

Starline Brass

I have used there pistol and straight walled rifle brass and as far as value to I think they are top notch. Since mine are all straight wall cases and I don't load HOT I have not worn any out yet.
All the best,
Bill

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old February 24, 2014, 12:57 PM   #4
madmo44mag

Starline is GREAT brass.
I have some 44mag brass I bough a long time ago from the and has been loaded to the max charge many, many times and still loads and shoots great.
Old February 24, 2014, 01:10 PM   #5
WESHOOT2

Starline is very good.
So are most of the rest.

Case life is solely determined by your load and the chamber (and gun) it gets fired in.
Old February 24, 2014, 01:17 PM   #6
rclark

All, I 'buy' is starline. I use/used .44Mag, .44Spec, .45 Colt, .45 ACP, and .357 Star-line brass. Nary a problem. Keeping track of reloads, I usually see my first case mouth crack at around 15-16 reloads per 100 cases (a box). Just replace and keep going. Some cases are well over 20 reloads now and still going strong. Not sure how long taper crimp cases last as I don't have much experience with them. I know I have not replaced a .45 ACP case yet, but then I don't shoot much of it in my revolvers.

Also use range brass, but 'usually' you don't find many straight wall cases 'laying around' . .45 ACP once in awhile, and of course plenty of the peanut 9mm caliber or .40 stuff which I don't use.

That said, I've had good luck with other vendors as well. Just Starline has been a bit cheaper to buy in bulk... and hey, if it works... keep using it!
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old February 24, 2014, 01:40 PM   #7
Gadawg88

I have used their 9mm, 45acp, 38sp and 357mag. All good stuff.
Old February 24, 2014, 01:55 PM   #8
chiefr

IMHO Starline is a step above, R-P, WW, and FC.
The only brass I would consider superior is Lapua, Norma, and Prvi.
Plus they make runs of obsolete cases such as 50-70. I am a big fan of Starline
Old February 24, 2014, 02:42 PM   #9
mnoirot64

Other than perhaps Nosler, Norma and Lapua, Starline is my favorite new brass. High quality and high value.

Clarksville, Tennessee
Old February 24, 2014, 06:23 PM   #10
Nick_C_S

Starline Brass

I'm old school. Until recently, I found the thought of purchasing new brass absurd. And this is now. There is no "free range brass" any more - those days are gone. I must confess to buying new brass. And it would seem that Starline makes an excellent product. I'm still a bit partial to Winchester, but I won't hesitate getting Starline.

As for the number of reloads, that's highly variable. The 9-Luger and 380 will probably go quite a few loads. The 357 Mag's, probably not so much. Not sure about 357 Sig. I suspect not so much either - just a guess, because it's a high pressure round.
Old February 24, 2014, 06:50 PM   #11
iraiam

Starline is great brass.

I use it in

9mm
.357 mag
45 auto

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old February 24, 2014, 09:11 PM   #12
Ifishsum

I don't always buy new brass, but when I do it's Starline (for pistol cases anyway). The better price is a bonus; it is generally better quality than WW, RP, Fed, or most others. Good luck finding 500 of any of those right now though....been on backorder forever it seems. It's good stuff.
Old February 24, 2014, 09:47 PM   #13
steveNChunter

I use it to load .45 acp. It's good brass, but I see no advantage over it compared to the once-fired factory stuff I load. It takes a loooong time to wear out brass in a straight walled pistol cartridge shooting target loads. I've mixed it in with everything else I have, which is everything imaginable picked up from the range.
Old February 24, 2014, 09:54 PM   #14
precision_shooter

You're right about the out of stock on every caliber I want, except .357 sig...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old February 24, 2014, 11:15 PM   #15
mnoirot64

Quote:
Originally Posted by precision_shooter View Post
You're right about the out of stock on every caliber I want, except .357 sig...

I will be shooting the 357 SIG as soon as my barrel arrives. I bought a SIG P229R EE in 40 S&W just because I could not find that pistol in the 357 SIG. But, I guess that discussion would be more appropriate for a different forum.

New Starline brass is hard to come by. Midsouth is getting some bulk Remington brass and Midway had some Starline brass in mixed calibers. Good luck with your search.
Old February 25, 2014, 05:16 PM   #16
steveNChunter

Midway is where I get my Starline. A lot of stuff isn't always in stock but I just click the "notify me" button and it's usually not long before they have whatever I need. They have always been a pleasure to deal with and they always seem to get stuff shipped fast. They don't always have the best price but I'd rather have the peace of mind dealing with a reputable business
Old February 25, 2014, 10:57 PM   #17
bledsoeG19

Star line is top notch. Ive ran it in several different calibers to include 357 sig. It lasts a long time in 357 sig. But keep in mind this is a relative term. 357 sig is a very high pressure bottle neck round. Long case life in 357 sig may only be 5 loadings. Could be more if you run the minimum load data, but if you're not running it to the top end, you're just shooting expensive 9mm.
Old February 25, 2014, 11:05 PM   #18
Rifletom

Yes. Starline is very good brass. If you can find it, buy it.
Old February 26, 2014, 09:43 AM   #19
twobit

They have great brass. I buy it direct from them. I use .38spl and 45 colt.
Old February 27, 2014, 05:12 PM   #20
North East Redneck

I use it for .45 Colt. Good brass.
Old February 27, 2014, 08:50 PM   #21
Misssissippi Dave

I have only purchased .357 mag and Sig brass from Star Line so far. If I were to purchase any more brass, they are my first choice. I have not shot the .357 Sig brass enough times to find out how long they will last. As to 9 mm, .38 special, .357 magnum and .45 acp, those cases will last a very long time.
Old February 28, 2014, 09:16 AM   #22
Shootest

Starline is top notch brass.

357 Sig can be orderd now for shipping next week.

https://www.starlinebrass.com/order-.../all-cases.cfm

you are going to have to wait on 9mm and 380, unless you can find it at Midway or something.
Old February 28, 2014, 03:51 PM   #23
coldbeer

I use Starline brass exclusively for 357 Mag and 45-70 Gove reloads. Two cartridges you're not likely to find spent brass for at the range. It's top notch stuff imo.