The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 7, 2011, 11:16 AM   #1
youngunz4life

trying to find out which TFL's carry, don't carry all the time, carry 2, rarely CCW?

this thread might or might not go anywhere and forgive me if its been covered but:

I was just curious for discussion purposes how many of you carry 100% of the time, sometimes carry depending on your mood, how your carrying practice has changed over age, geographic changes, incidents while carrying of any form, how many just feel it is only necessary at home, how you agree or disagree with others preference on the issue, etc, etc.
Old June 7, 2011, 11:57 AM   #2
LordTio3

I'll play.

I carry everyday. I have done so every day since I got my permit at 21. When I drink, the gun goes away. I don't drink often. Most days my gun is no more than 10 feet from me. When it is, I always have a knife on me. I'm trained with both.

~LT
Old June 7, 2011, 01:33 PM   #3
sakeneko

Shortly after I got my CCW, I realized that I would get in the habit of carrying only if I made it something I always did unless I had a strong reason not to. So when I'm outside the house, I'm always armed except when I am going somewhere where you can't carry, such as picking up or dropping of friend at air port or going into a government-owned building. The only exception was a couple of times in the past two years when I've been sick and unsure that I would be able to handle a gun or make appropriate decisions.

At this point, I'm so used to having the gun that leaving the house without it feels strange.
Old June 7, 2011, 01:38 PM   #4
motorhead0922

Results here:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433678
Old June 7, 2011, 01:46 PM   #5
GoOfY-FoOt

I carry openly at work and concealed every place else that I legally can.
The only exception is when I am playing pool. I leave my gun in the vehicle for two reasons. Theft deterrent and comfort when leaning over a pool table.

I must admit, in certain places (pool halls), I would feel more comfortable packing, but I can hold my own with the chubby end of a pool cue, and my Glock is only seconds away.

*sigh* What I put up with for the game that I love...
Old June 7, 2011, 01:55 PM   #6
precision_shooter

Carry every day. Have to leave it in my car (not even supposed to do that) while I am at work, take it in with me when i go home, and slip it in my pants if I leave the house. Leave it in the car when I go somewhere where I can't carry (schools, Govt. Buildings).
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old June 7, 2011, 02:00 PM   #7
BarryLee

I carry all the time with the exception of places that are off limits. I will vary the specific gun and carry method based on the situation.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 7, 2011, 02:09 PM   #8
Wildalaska

Sometimes I do, most of the time I dont

WildwhybotherAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old June 7, 2011, 02:59 PM   #9
markj

Quote:
how many of you carry 100% of the time
Most folks will never know LOL
Old June 7, 2011, 03:23 PM   #10
Maximus856

Really depends what I am doing or where I am at. If I am home in PA, then I carry about 75% of the time. Roadtrips, I always have something with me. However, when I'm in NC I hardly carry. It's near impossible even though my home state has reciprocity, due to the fact that I still live in the barracks.

-Max.
Old June 7, 2011, 03:30 PM   #11
irish52084

I carry almost 100% of the time. When I got my CPL about 6 years ago I didn't carry very often, but I slowly began carrying more and more.
Old June 7, 2011, 05:24 PM   #12
youngunz4life

I don't carry all the time

but the most I carry at once is my CCW 357, mousegun backup derringer, and my buck 110 lookalike folding knife on my belt. When we travel I will automatically have these items, so I can access them when I want. Additionally, my wife has a snubby 357 in her possession when we travel. Right now my 357 is on the high shelf along the wall beside me & the computer. All my other weapons are in the safe. I like to have a weapon close during the nights. The safe is easily accessible in a jiffy during sleep, and I can just rest the firearm(s) next to the bed too without locking it up while sleeping if I so choose. Our mossberg 500 would be my weapon of choice during a home invasion; I do admit that the shotgun is locked up unloaded though, so it is unfortunately accessible only after extra precious time.
Old June 7, 2011, 05:29 PM   #13
microman

Own a lot of guns and love to shoot but, I don't
carry at all.
Old June 7, 2011, 05:33 PM   #14
Boberama

A 3.75-in lockback knife everywhere.
I'm replacing it with a 3.9-in CRKT liner lock.

I can't carry any firearms because it's illegal in Canada.
Old June 7, 2011, 06:18 PM   #15
glockcompact

I can't carry at work and made the decision long ago to keep my career. Not including my career I cary darn near 100%. It's usually my little Kahr PM9 concealed.
Old June 7, 2011, 06:53 PM   #16
9mm

I do not see why people would not carry everyday outside of a job restriction. You have the permit, why not use it? Go for it. Carry where it is legal. Just because I have not been in a accident while I am the driver mind you, I always wear my seat belt. Why not always carry?
Old June 7, 2011, 07:05 PM   #17
Boberama

Some people may also not carry for altruistic reasons.
Old June 7, 2011, 07:20 PM   #18
zxcvbob

I carry to church. Started out carrying a P3AT but I've moved up to a full-sized service revolver. I'm starting to carry more than that now (like all day on Sundays); still getting used to it.
Old June 7, 2011, 07:37 PM   #19
shootniron

99%
Old June 7, 2011, 07:41 PM   #20
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

If I'm beyond the front door, I'm carrying, and I don't answer the door without dropping a .357 magnum into a pocket.
Old June 7, 2011, 08:14 PM   #21
shooter_john

100% for me. My mood may determine what I carry, but if I leave the house I have a gun. Most often it is a Glock 23/ Surefire X300, carried IWB. Otherwise it is either a Commander (carried IWB) or a KelTec PF-9 in the pocket.

I work in a plain clothes LE unit, so carrying on-duty and off is really no different for me. That makes it pretty easy.
Old June 7, 2011, 08:22 PM   #22
Daggitt

You mean there are people who have guns and don't carry them ? What do they do with them ?
Old June 7, 2011, 08:46 PM   #23
Kreyzhorse

I carry when I can. When I can't, I don't and I certainly don't carry as much as I would like too.
Old June 7, 2011, 08:51 PM   #24
GoOfY-FoOt

When I can't carry my G36, I ALWAYS have this in my pocket...

And while the BG's laughing at my "cute little knife" I show him how good I have gotten with my "Wicked Edge" sharpener...
Old June 7, 2011, 09:49 PM   #25
Wildalaska

Quote:
And while the BG's laughing at my "cute little knife" I show him how good I have gotten with my "Wicked Edge" sharpener.
And you have been in how many knife fights, pray tell?

WilddoAlaska ™©2002-2011

Tags
carry , ccw , revolver , semi , travel