The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 4, 2008, 08:02 PM   #51
MickGoBragh

not to mention if you shoot below the waistline you can't get charged with attempted murder
Currently Serving in the United States Navy
Old June 4, 2008, 09:50 PM   #52
clam

So, lots of questions on how I got to a CCW situation.

If I were able to aviod it...probably would have.

Here are the details.

Left resteraunt at T- 2 minutes.

Drove through empty downtown for one minute.

at T- 30 seconds, made a turn into unexpected RIOT situation with windows down.

at T-20 secons, street person jumped into window (now surrounded by 1+ thousand roiters).

In retrospect, wouldn't have been in ATL that weekend.

Having been in ATL and seeing that, drew pistol @ T-20 seconds.

2 seconds later, guy jumped through open window.

had gun drawn at T-20.

@ T-18, guy is leaning inside car.

Threat made him leave.

For all those who recommend shooting, please let me know the legal prescedence for shooting a guy leaning in your window asking for money.

I have gotten lots of good replies, but a lot are shoot first, ask questions later.

Having taken lethal force before, not sure if this was justified in GA.

Any legit comments on GA law/cases. ?

It worked out NOT shooting here. If it had not worked out, would this be a justified shoot under law? Again, when is the APPROPRIATE time to shoot?

What if's aside?
Old June 4, 2008, 11:01 PM   #53
rburch

Glad you got out okay, you're in a bad situation in a car, it means you're close enough for the other guy to take your gun very quickly, and you're not free to move. Also that close you're at real risk of knife attack.

If your standing in the open, and the other guy is 20 or more feet off or there's a car or something keeping him away, then I would give him the chance to run.

If there's nothing keeping him off of me, or he's armed with a weapon, then I'm pulling the trigger.

Now a little legal advise. If you are going to use any type of self defense, then erase the word KILL from your vocabulary. The objective of any type of self defense is to STOP or PREVENT the, for lack of a better term, "bad guy" from hurting you or anyone else.

If you carry a gun, take the time and money to get training, both in how to use the gun for self defense, and in some type of martial art or unarmed self defense class. You may very well find yourself in a situation where your gun is not available.

And make sure your chosen training deals with defense against guns and knives, they may take yours away.
Old June 4, 2008, 11:09 PM   #54
oneSoneK

Quote:
It worked out NOT shooting here. If it had not worked out, would this be a justified shoot under law? Again, when is the APPROPRIATE time to shoot?
I think it all depends on where your at.
Its easy to play monday q.b.after the threat is gone but you have to remember you might not have time to analyze the situation its a matter of life or death in those few seconds that you worry about him.. that could cost you your life. Im just glad it worked out for you.
Old June 5, 2008, 12:04 AM   #55
Moe Howard

Quote:
The question is, with a man inside your car (leaning inside) and threatening you for your money, life, when is the appropriate time to defend yourself?

This is from the original post, Inside your car and Threatening you for your money, life.

Then in a more recent post you asked.

Quote:
For all those who recommend shooting, please let me know the legal prescedence for shooting a guy leaning in your window asking for money.
Notice anything missing?

As I stated before this would be an appropriate time to defend yourself. No one can make that call for you, but defending yourself in this moment is not shooting first and asking questions later, it is defending yourself plain and simple. State laws will vary on when to use deadly force which causes a lot of internet confusion, and is a big reason you get differing opinions. Some of us live in more free states and are allowed to exercise our God given right to defend ourselves and loved ones. Remember the onus is on the BG, that is the root of the problem. BGs take their own lives into their own hands when they decide to commit an offense on a fellow human being.
Assuming all is true here, replay it in your head, this time put a gun in the guys hand and you don't shoot. Is not shooting still the right move? There is not a right or wrong answer it is a personal decision.
Old June 5, 2008, 01:28 AM   #56
gvf

Second Guessing - WHA?

The need to shoot - which has to be to stop an imminent lethal attack - would, if it existed, already have been proven: the OP, having refrained from action to stop that attack, would not be posting because he would have been killed or grievously injured. He wasn't, he's fine, there was no attack. He judged aright

On top of this: he was there.

Second guessing a positive outcome of a situation you weren't involved in? Kind of wacky. Especially as it involves killing people.

Last edited by gvf; June 5, 2008 at 12:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old June 15, 2008, 01:12 AM   #57
HKFan9

As soon as those words left his mouth, my hollow point would of left my pistol. Then theres 1 side of the story, and thats from the law aibding citizen side. Just MHO. The way I look at it is, if infact the crowd was a RIOT, than it was an illegal and unlawful gathering of people that did indeed had hostile intent. 1 the man risked life/injury to jump into a moving vehicle even if you were going 2mph i saw the same thing happen n watched someones leg get mangled, not pretty. 2 HE CLEARLY showed he had no concern for his life when you had a pistol to his chest and said yea go ahead do it. Him not having concern for his own life shows he has no concern for yours. You are lucky he fell from the car, who knows what would of happened if he did not, you do not know if he was armed with a gun knife or other form of a wepon, or worse yet grabbed yours. Many people keep referring to the man being unarmed, but what if he latched onto your throat with his hands. A double carotid choke is a pretty quick and easy way to injure/kill someone. I'm glad to hear you did not shoot, and will agree you were probably right in doing so, but I could also see someone justifying shooting. I would think/hope a jury would not punish you, but sadly we know due process isn't always right.

Last edited by HKFan9; June 15, 2008 at 04:38 PM.