The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2022, 05:04 PM   #1
fauxpa46

Powder Measure Problem

While loading 9mm on my Lee Classic Turret Press I (very quickly) noticed little or no powder going into the case. Played with the dispenser key with no change. Took it apart to look for a blockage and found none. Baffling why this all of a sudden began to happen. I have no idea what else to do. Anyone have an idea as to why?
Old February 10, 2022, 05:10 PM   #2
Smoke & Recoil

We need more information to work with, what powder measure are you using and possibly post a picture of your set-up.
Old February 10, 2022, 05:20 PM   #3
BobCat45

He is right, what powder measure - and what powder? Thinking about bridging.

And I'm not trying to be a smart-alec but both of my Lee measures, the disc one and the 'Perfect' have powder cutoffs in the bottom of the powder hopper. Turned "off" no powder will flow, turned "on" the hole is open and powder flows. Could it be something that simple?
Old February 10, 2022, 11:51 PM   #4
std7mag

As Bobcat45 said, check the simple.

With the Auto Disk, i've had issues with flake powder "clogging" for lack of a better term.
Mostly Unique, and Alliant's Dot powders.

A tear down & wipe down with a drier sheet solves the issue temporarily.
I triedwiping down with spray silicone, and have not had a repeat yet.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old February 11, 2022, 02:22 AM   #5
rc

Let's just say Lee is popular for price but it's one of the cheapest for a reason. I started with a lee anniversary kit and suld it after a year because I just wasn't impressed with it. the powder measure was particularly weak. I bought a used rcbs set from a fireman getting out of reloading and went all RCBS after that. The Lee Perfect Powder measure would leak ball powder and it would loosen up over time and have problems. It was cheap plastic, what did I expect from a kit that at the time cost like $80 with the press, scale, primer and powder measure. The Uniflow is a classic all steel powder measure that never fails to work with any powder. The only issues are with stick powders binding but you can sheer them off and big flakes don't meter as uniformly. With smaller flake and ball is runs smoothly and meters consistently. It may be time to ditch the powder measure if not the press too.
Old February 11, 2022, 07:07 AM   #6
cdoc42

I agree with rc. I have a Lee Loadmaster with drop-in ring with dies for .38/.357 and .44 Mag for about 20 years. But I have only used it for .44 mag due to set-up difficulty. The accompanying powder measure spills too much H-110 from the slide mechanism even though the charges are accurate. I have replaced at least 5 sets of primer feed; invariably a primer doesn't slide into position and attempts to seat it break the plastic tabs, and the whole thing has to be removed and replaced. For a while, I just used it to resize/deprime and reprime to avoid the powder loss, but I quit after the above primer jam problems and I now reload .44 Mags just like all the other 17 handgun/rifle calibers on my RCBS Rockchuker.
Old February 11, 2022, 09:05 AM   #7
hounddawg

I have tried just about every powder measure on the market and always found the Lee Perfect Powder Measure best for stick powders. For fine ball powders like TAC I prefer the Lyman or Harrel but for stick the plastic Lee perfect works great.

However as cheap as dispensers are these days it does not make sense to me to use a powder measure if you plan on shooting beyond 300 and load a bit on the conservative side

just my opinion of course
Old February 11, 2022, 10:26 AM   #8
BobCat45

houndawg, I agree with you on both counts.

The Lee 'Perfect' measure works much better than my RCBS Uniflow for stick powders like IMR 4895 and 4064 (both IMR and AA), but I throw low and trickle up for 300 and 600 yard match ammunition.

The Uniflow is great for Unique, Green Dot, and Blue Dot for pistol / revolver loads, and is pretty good for Re15 - but it wants to cut/crunch 4895 and 4064. It is clearly better made than the Lee. I've had it since 1971 and the only thing wrong is the clear plastic hopper is sort of dark/discolored.

But the Lee 'Perfect' works for 4895 / 4064 for the Garand - throwing not trickling, a tenth of a grain either way in a 48 grain load, at 200 yards, means nothing. Same for .223 loads for practice, and for 200 yard standing and sitting. Only for 300 and 600 do I throw and then trickle up.
I also use the Lee disc measure on the Dillon, for pistol ammunition, and it is ok but the RCBS is still higher quality.

But the OP had an issue with his measure not dispensing powder, and whether it is a cheap Lee or a better name measure, he needs to identify the problem and fix it.

He can upgrade his equipment when he wishes to, but he ought to be able to use what he has for now.
Old February 11, 2022, 11:22 AM   #9
hounddawg

Quote:
he needs to identify the problem and fix it.
/agree.

Not sure what advice what anyone could offer if he has taken it apart and put it back together and there were no clogs. These things are dead simple, a rotating cavity and gravity. Not much that can go wrong there
Old February 11, 2022, 11:35 AM   #10
BobCat45

was going to make a stupid wisecrack about failure of gravity but my sense of humor faded...

The OP has not been back to say which Lee measure he is working with, or what powder is involved.

I admit I'm watching this thread because it is always informative to know about obscure, uncommon failure modes (especially for tools I have and use).
Old February 11, 2022, 11:47 AM   #11
hounddawg

well I had a spider crawl up in one and die once, that was a unusual clog. I think the OP would have noticed that when he took his apart.
Old February 11, 2022, 04:55 PM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCat45
The OP has not been back to say which Lee measure he is working with, or what powder is involved.
In fact, the OP didn't say it was a Lee powder measure. He said he is using [something] on a Lee Classic Turret Press.

Until we know what powder measure is being used, speculation is useless.
Jeepaholic
Old February 11, 2022, 05:25 PM   #13
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
In fact, the OP didn't say it was a Lee powder measure. He said he is using [something] on a Lee Classic Turret Press.

Until we know what powder measure is being used, speculation is useless.
hopefully the OP will be back....