The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old January 18, 2015, 03:46 PM   #1
Bill DeShivs

How do you quote a message?

I have read the FAQs.
There is no "quick reply" icon. There is no " icon. I thought it might be AOL, so I tried Mozilla. Same results.
Am I just an idiot? I see no where in any post to quote-yet people do it all the time!
Old January 18, 2015, 03:48 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

Copy the text you want to quote, then hit the "Reply" button. In your reply, hit the button that looks like a text bubble and paste the quoted text between the "Quote" brackets.
Old January 18, 2015, 03:55 PM   #3
Bill DeShivs

[QUOTE][/Copy the text you want to quote, then hit the "Reply" button. In your reply, hit the button that looks like a text bubble and paste the quoted text between the "Quote" brackets.QUOTE]

Thanks! Seems a little odd, but it works! It's not like I see other quotes, though????
<<< The red bracket and slash should go in front of the blue "QUOTE]" as in the example below.

Correct Method showing correctly placed bracket and slash highlighted in red.
[QUOTE] Quoted text goes here. [/QUOTE]

Incorrect (with misplaced bracket and slash highlighted in red)
[QUOTE] [/ This won't work. QUOTE]

JohnKSa >>>

Last edited by JohnKSa; January 19, 2015 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Added Note.
Old January 18, 2015, 04:02 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

"Copy the text you want to quote, then hit the "Reply" button. In your reply, hit the button that looks like a text bubble and paste the quoted text between the "Quote" brackets."

Still not right!
Old January 18, 2015, 04:13 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

The text needs to go between the brackets. It should look something like this: [quote]Tom Servo for President![/quote] Notice that each quote tag has an opening bracket ([) and a closing bracket (]).

Last edited by Unclenick; January 22, 2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old January 18, 2015, 04:47 PM   #6
Bill DeShivs

The text needs to go between the brackets. It should look something like this: [quote]Tom Servo for President![/quote] Notice that each quote tag has an opening bracket ([) and a closing bracket (]).

I give up. It shouldn't be this difficult. I'll just copy and put quotation marks around it. I'm on dozens of forums and have no trouble on the others.
Thanks for attempting to help me, Tom!

Last edited by Unclenick; January 22, 2015 at 10:28 AM.
Old January 18, 2015, 05:55 PM   #7
Mal H
Staff

Bill, using the first paragraph of your last post as the example of what you want to quote, it will look like this as you compose your post:

[quote]The text needs to go between the brackets. It should look something like this (replacing the word 'quote' with '...'): [...]Tom Servo for President![/...] Notice that each quote tag has an opening bracket ([) and a closing bracket (]).[/quote]

That will yield this quote:
Quote:
The text needs to go between the brackets. It should look something like this (replacing the word 'quote' with '...'): [...]Tom Servo for President![/...] Notice that each quote tag has an opening bracket ([) and a closing bracket (]).
I've found the easiest way to quote is to press the quote icon ( ) first which will give you an empty set of quote tags. Then copy and paste whatever you want to quote inside those tags.
Old January 18, 2015, 06:23 PM   #8
JERRYS.

how do you get the quote where it states who made the quote?
<<<
[QUOTE=Person's Username Here] Quoted Text Here. [/QUOTE]

Example:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Person's Username Here
Quoted Text Here.
JohnKSa
>>>

Last edited by JohnKSa; January 19, 2015 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Added Note.
Old January 18, 2015, 07:09 PM   #9
Bill DeShivs

Quote:
I've found the easiest way to quote is to press the quote icon ( ) first which will give you an empty set of quote tags. Then copy and paste whatever you want to quote inside those tags.
This is exactly what I did here.
...And it worked!
I used the same process in the first attempt in this thread, and it didn't work.
Old January 18, 2015, 07:11 PM   #10
Bill DeShivs

[QUOTE][Copy the text you want to quote, then hit the "Reply" button. In your reply, hit the button that looks like a text bubble and paste the quoted text between the "Quote" brackets./QUOTE]

Interesting! I did EXACTLY the same thing here, and you can see how it turned out.
<<< The red bracket should go in front of the blue "/QUOTE]" as in the example below.

Correct Method

Incorrect (with misplaced bracket highlighted in red)
[QUOTE] [ This won't work. /QUOTE]

JohnKSa >>>

Last edited by JohnKSa; January 19, 2015 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Added note.
Old January 18, 2015, 07:13 PM   #11
Bill DeShivs

Quote:
Copy the text you want to quote, then hit the "Reply" button. In your reply, hit the button that looks like a text bubble and paste the quoted text between the "Quote" brackets.
testing....
Old January 18, 2015, 07:50 PM   #12
tyme
Staff

Also, the third sticky post in this forum...
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old January 18, 2015, 08:46 PM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS.
You enter it manually.

To quote you as I just did, I followed the procedure outlined above: Highlight the text I wanted to quote and copied it to the pasteboard (CTRL-C); opened a reply window; placed cursor between the quote tags, and hit CTRL-V (paste).

THEN ... go back the the opening quote tag. Inside the brackets and after the word "quote" enter an equal sign followed by the name of the author you are quoting. My quote looks like this, except that here I used curly brackets to prevent it from coming in as an actual quote):

{QUOTE=JERRYS.}how do you get the quote where it states who made the quote? {/QUOTE}

Automatically quoting is a built-in function of the vBulletin software used by this forum. IIRC, the admins here disabled it years ago because people would auto-quote long posts when they were only responding to one paragraph or one sentence, and they wouldn't delete the unimportant parts. So the admins forced us to pay attention and not be sloppy when quoting. It's a bit tedious, but the reasoning is sound. Spend some time on forums that allow auto-quoting and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Old January 18, 2015, 09:15 PM   #14
Mal H
Staff

Bill, it appears that you figured it out in post 11, but in post 10 you didn't paste the text directly between the tags. If you look closely, you'll see that you pasted it to the right of the third bracket, not between the second and the third.

In your first attempt, you pasted the text after both the [ and the / of the ending tag. In other words, for both of your unsuccessful tries, you failed to account for windage.

As tyme pointed out, there is some very good info in the thread dedicated to quoting in this very forum: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323215 But, we've hidden it from view by making it a sticky thread, or at least that seems to be the case. Post 4 in that thread is especially helpful.
Old January 19, 2015, 04:13 PM   #15
weblance

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS
I use the old fashioned method. First, copy the text you want to quote, then use the [ symbol, then type the work "quote" then the = symbol, then the username, then the ] symbol. It looks like this [quote=JERRYS] then paste the text, and then after the pasted text, [/quote ] and its magic...
Old January 19, 2015, 07:34 PM   #16
Shotgun Slim

[QUOTE Copy the text you want to quote, then hit the "Reply" button. In your reply, hit the button that looks like a text bubble and paste the quoted text between the "Quote" brackets.][/QUOTE]
trying to make this work
<<< The red bracket should follow the blue "[QUOTE" directly as in the example below.

Correct Method showing correctly placed bracket highlighted in red.

Incorrect (with misplaced bracket highlighted in red)
[QUOTE This won't work. ][/QUOTE]

JohnKSa >>>

Last edited by JohnKSa; January 19, 2015 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Added Note.
Old January 19, 2015, 08:11 PM   #17
Mal H
Staff

Slim, like Bill did above, your text has split apart the brackets of the quote tags. See that "][/QUOTE]" at the end of your quote? The first bracket (]) should have ended the first quote tag set.
Old January 22, 2015, 11:20 AM   #18
Unclenick
Staff

In general: vBulletin allows you to use some commands. These are created as what are called "tags", because of how they look when you type them. All tags come in start and stop pairs. If you don't enter both, the command will not be executed, but will merely show up as text.

Tags always come in pairs, a Start Tag and a Stop Tag. Each tag requires a pair of square corner brackets surrounding a command:[command]. That command acts on whatever text follows it. That tag starts the command working and must be followed by a second tag that stops the command working. That stop tag is made like the start tag, but adding a forward slash to the command name: [/command]. That forward slash indicates the command that follows it is to stop.

So, you must have a tag pair, [command] and [/command], or nothing happens. The text to be acted by the command must appear between the tags; never inside the brackets defining the ends of a tag.

Example, I will use the command to change the color of text to blue. That command is "color=blue". The tag pair will look like this (though I have here used the "noparse" command so it doesn't actually execute and just shows you what should be typed):

[color=blue] text to be acted on by the command [/color]

The way that will show up in a post is:

text to be acted on by the command

When the system is parsing (normal default mode) the tags themselves disappear and only the result of the command action on the text between the tags appears. If I forget to use the close tag, I get this:

[color=blue] text to be acted on by the command

Note that if a command requires an extra argument, it is followed by the "=" sign which is immediately followed by the additional argument. The additional argument then becomes part of the start tag. The additional argument is not included in the stop tag. The text being acted on by the command, including any extra arguments, is never part of the tag, but is only between the completed tags.

In the previous example, the additional argument was "=color".

When you make a quotation, the commands are:
[quote] text being quoted [/quote]

The extra argument (optional) is the username of the person whose post you are quoting, so that extra argument is "=username", making the command look like this:

[quote=username] text being quoted [/quote]

in actual use, that will look like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by username
text being quoted
The words "Originally Posted by" are automatically added by the system. If I don't include the additional argument "=username", I get:

Quote:
text being quoted
For a complete list of commands used inside vBulletin and examples of them in use, a list is here. Note that not all these commands are turned on for use at The Firing Line, however.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; January 22, 2015 at 11:37 AM.
Old January 22, 2015, 03:43 PM   #19
tyme
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
Fake quote
Also allows linking to a previous post but instead of quote=username you have to use quote=username;postid and you have to know the postid (you can see it by hovering over the post # top right and the postid will be after p= in the url).
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old January 30, 2015, 06:46 PM   #20
zachattack2

Quote:
Also allows linking to a previous post but instead of quote=username you have to use quote=username;postid and you have to know the postid (you can see it by hovering over the post # top right and the postid will be after p= in the url).
. Ook
Old January 30, 2015, 07:16 PM   #21
RodTheWrench

Huh, I didn't know this either, and I thought I was fairly good at HTML tags.